How has your kit list changed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Ok, just got back, bath is running and I stink of woodsmoke...so this is what I took last night:

Karrimore Sabre 75 containing:
  • DD lightweight tarp
  • Snugpak Sleeping bag
  • Thermarest
  • Extra tarp (groundsheet)
  • Honey stove / Tatonka burner / meths (Didn't use the burner &meths)
  • Food (Freeze dried expedition type food - chicken korma, apple flakes & custard / porridge with strawberries) 2 packs biscuit brown & 2 packs biscuit fruit. Sachets of 2 in 1 coffee & whitener x 4.
  • 3L of water - only just enough this time cos I pigged out!
  • Insulated mug / flask type thingy
  • Moleskin smock (made by Andywinkk) for warmth (not used except as a pillow!)

Response pak containing:
  • FAK
  • Laplander saw - purpose of visit was to clear some invading rhodadendrons!
  • Flint & steel + tinder pouch
  • Field sharpening kit - DC3 & mini strop
  • Led headlamp
  • Glowstick
  • Old dems tin containing various fire lighters - Hexy / inner tube strip / cotton wool / Greenheat gel & a lighter (not used)
  • Notepad & pencil
  • Camera & spare batteries(also fit headlamp)

Around neck:

• BG Little Whittler
  • Whistle
  • Single LED torch
  • Long handled spork

Extras
- taken to see how they behaved together, cos they are new!
Ventile poncho - rigged it as a tarp for a photo for the group buy thread & used it over my kit to keep it clean & tidy! Other than that - not needed.

Looking at it it seems a lot, but the gear I didn't use I would not like to leave out as it would mean being potentially cold and uncomfortable.
Simon

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "STINK OF WOODSMOKE"!!!!!!!!!! Perfumed like heavenly woodsmoke is a better description. Carry on.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "STINK OF WOODSMOKE"!!!!!!!!!! Perfumed like heavenly woodsmoke is a better description. Carry on.

I agree, but SWMBO and mini-SWMBO both picked me up this morning in the car. They took me to McDonald's for breakfast (not my idea of good food, but I wasn't paying!) and we had quite an area around us where no body sat!

Personally, I love the smell!

Simon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thanks for that Simon you have cut down a lot
What pot are you using I assume to heat water only?
I am away on an overnighter canoe camping with a small group a week friday
I will post my list then in return
I may even try and upload my first photos
Just realised though that with a group in Canoes they will bring enough kit to start a shop!!!!
I could probably just turn up amd borrow enough gear to get by with

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Below is a pic of my kit from a couple of years ago , almost all of it is still in use with the addition of a more comprehensive FAK and a lightweight fishing kit . :)

P6220442.jpg

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
These days I've got a better hammock setup, It's lighter and more compact.
I don't think the pack has gotten much lighter as some of the kit is wool/cotton/leather instead of fleece/goretex/fabric, but the quality of my kit has improved.
One thing that has changed is the amount of stuff I take to meets.
There is a huge difference between what I take when I'm out on my own and what I take to meets
If I'm carrying it on my back, the dutch oven stays home for a start!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Thanks for that Simon you have cut down a lot
What pot are you using I assume to heat water only?
I am away on an overnighter canoe camping with a small group a week friday
I will post my list then in return
I may even try and upload my first photos
Just realised though that with a group in Canoes they will bring enough kit to start a shop!!!!
I could probably just turn up amd borrow enough gear to get by with

It's a 900ml Ti pot - and yes I only used it for heating water as I was eating freeze dried food.

Look forward to seeing your kit list.

Simon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/redandshane/DSCF0864.jpg

Right This is the first time I have done this so lets see if the link works

From the back
Trailstove with Crusader and metal lid
Army Closed cell sleeping mat
Leather issue gloves
Nomads Land XXl hammock
Basha, pegs, bungees etc all in a black police pouch
Gelert Bivvy bag
Eurohike 3 season sleeping bag
Bahco Laplander in pouch
Mora 2000
Hygiene pack- washing stuff and toilet roll
First aid kit with some tape on top
Petzl e lite
Trangia burner Frying pan Gelert folding mug Spork Meths
Water bottles
Binoculars
Radio

This is what I took on monday/tuesday picture taken in woods as I packed up to leave
I have options on alternatives to most things; these are what I chose for the conditiions and walk in length
Obviously I had other items in my pockers /keychain etc

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I take much less now than when I started BUT probably more than a couple of years ago because I got into Bushcrafting from ultralight backpacking. I now use more homemade and natural materials kit which is heavier than it's plastic equivalent and I carry a knife and sometimes a saw which I never used to (except for the trusty SAK - which I carry as well nowadays) I managed to get the weight of my overnighting or 3/4 days out kit down to below 20lbs (without food and water!) but now it has crept up again, although nowhere near the "kitchen sink" approach I started out with all those years ago. Also, I still tend to walk, rather than find a spot and live there (chance would be a fine thing!) for a few days, so cutting down the weight is still important.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE