How far up an estuary can i fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
What are the rules on estuary shore fishing in UK? How far up the estuary tributary rivers/streams are you allowed to fish? At what point does shore turn into bank? Advice appreciated.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I always thought it was to do with the tide. If the part of the river you wish to fish is affected by the tide then that is classed as sea angling which does not require a licence. Someone will probably correct me or add something more specific but that's what I always believed.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Best bet is to get in touch with your local EA office and ask them, 6 of the 7 miles of river that my angling club has is tidal and is classified as freshwater, some of it is 11 miles inland as the crow flies from the river mouth, on one river i fishm, the change point from fresh to sea ie: licence vs. no licence to fish, is only 4 miles inland, yet the tidal reach extends over 10 miles inland.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
As Kepis says, best check with EA.
As I understand, the upper limit is the Normal Tidal Limit which used to be marked as NTL on OS maps. Nowadays it is shown (on 1:50 000 at least) by the transition of the bank marking from a solid black line to a pale blue line (see the key under water features on the map).

Intertidal

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
local rules need to be checked
Christcurch council insist on a licence to fish Mudeford harbour which is tidal and directly linked to the sea even if your are fishing Sea gear obviously set up for sea fish which are in the harbour

ATB

Duncan

Didn't realise that, Mudefords right on the sea front, spent many an hour crabbing there when I was a kid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE