Learning the ways of UK Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
National Geographic has just named 'The Highlands' as one of the best destinations in the world.

Heaven help us because the roads and the hills will be mobbed. I know the tourist industry will be so pleased, but, aye, well, too many folks spoil just what they come to see, iimmc ?

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh dear, it was getting too popular already. I have done my best to tell people to stay away from the midge infested, windy, cold, wet place but if people like the National Geographic are promoting it my efforts are in vain.

(in case there's doubt, I'm joking; the west coast of Scotland is one of my favourite places in the world :)).

Reactions: Tengu and Toddy

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Oh dear, it was getting too popular already. I have done my best to tell people to stay away from the midge infested, windy, cold, wet place but if people like the National Geographic are promoting it my efforts are in vain.

(in case there's doubt, I'm joking; the west coast of Scotland is one of my favourite places in the world :)).
Don't forget the terrifying native dwellers as well!! (I'm joking please don't come after me :) )

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Please forgive me for any misunderstandings and silly questions. I am autistic and trying to learn as much as I can to prepare for myself for my trip.

I am learning survival skills for wild rural camping in a weekly basis with professional training. I want to come to Scotland as a visitor to go wild camping far as I can away from society however I am running into a few issues which has caused me a lot of confusion.

My latest questions of confusion are below:

I know knives are a big issue but I was hoping to bring my fishing knife for gutting and cleaning my fish I catch. I am fully aware of clubs I have to pay fees and any landowners I need to get permission from to fish. Once I plan on where exactly I am going I will do what needs to be done to make sure no laws are broken.

I recently found out my machete sized knife was an absolute no go most likely so a new knife will need it be purchased for my trip. My throwing axe I am not entirely sure as I have heard a hatchet is allowed. However, I heard I need a foraging license and/or permission from land owners to cut down any branches or twigs. Is this true? If so, how can anyone do wild survival if they can’t curb down small branches or something to make a fire for warmth?

Any advice on my fishing knife?

Final question for now, how can anyone just go walking or camping in the rural part of Scotland far from society if there all these laws? I mean you can’t carry a months worth of food supplies? They have to fish and/or hunt small game to survive.

Advice please?
I tiny folding Swiss Army knife will suffice for gutting fish Iv even used broken glass to gut fish when Iv had blunt knifes .

Reactions: Mhearadh.macleod

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Please forgive me for any misunderstandings and silly questions. I am autistic and trying to learn as much as I can to prepare for myself for my trip.

I am learning survival skills for wild rural camping in a weekly basis with professional training. I want to come to Scotland as a visitor to go wild camping far as I can away from society however I am running into a few issues which has caused me a lot of confusion.

My latest questions of confusion are below:

I know knives are a big issue but I was hoping to bring my fishing knife for gutting and cleaning my fish I catch. I am fully aware of clubs I have to pay fees and any landowners I need to get permission from to fish. Once I plan on where exactly I am going I will do what needs to be done to make sure no laws are broken.

I recently found out my machete sized knife was an absolute no go most likely so a new knife will need it be purchased for my trip. My throwing axe I am not entirely sure as I have heard a hatchet is allowed. However, I heard I need a foraging license and/or permission from land owners to cut down any branches or twigs. Is this true? If so, how can anyone do wild survival if they can’t curb down small branches or something to make a fire for warmth?

Any advice on my fishing knife?

Final question for now, how can anyone just go walking or camping in the rural part of Scotland far from society if there all these laws? I mean you can’t carry a months worth of food supplies? They have to fish and/or hunt small game to survive.

Advice please?
U can carry a weeks worth off supplies in a very small bag Paul kirtley has a podcast on this on YouTube buddy might not be months worth but still good

Reactions: Mhearadh.macleod

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
L'n'M makes a good point, the wildest areas of Scotland would be hard to live off. Think more barren moorland rather than prime deciduous woodland (though there is some of that in places). However, the north western coast is full of coastal foraging opportunities and good wild camping. Just don't expect it to be particularly unpopulated though - every coastal track leads to a dwelling of some kind.

As far as sharps are concerned - never carry one on your belt in a public place (pack it well out of sight), limit it to 'necessary' dimensions for your tasks (no machetes or combat style knives etc.).

Sea fishing is free nearly everywhere; some estuaries are controlled by fishing organisations for migrating game fish. All freshwater requires license and/or club membership.

Fires should be as small as possible to do the task in hand and always used with regard to the environment you're in - never lit directly on woodland floor with deep leaf litter or on peat. Make sure you have enough water available to completely extinguish and soak the area before you leave. Collecting dry dead wood is fine (that's what you want anyway); cutting green wood is rarely acceptable or allowed.

Having said all that, Scotland is beautiful and well worth a visit (and that's a Welshman speaking :)) just not as 'wild' as one might think.
There’s tonne red stags in Scotland iff he’s got deep pockets he could pay to go deerstalking n that’s a lot off food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE