Hogmanay Meet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What dates will you manage to be at Wiston Lodge for Hogmanay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi all,

I wasn't planning on coming along this year due to other commitments but there is a slim chance I might be able to now. What I'd like to know is how far are we camping from where we park the cars? Is it quite a walk to carry the kit? As if so I'd take less & lighter stuff than the usual luxuries lol.

Vince

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Vince if you go to google maps and type in Tinto, it'll give you the landscape map for the hill. Wiston is just below it to the south.
That big patch of woodland is the estate. The house can be clearly seen and the big field is the camping field.
The idea is to go to the top left of that for our set up. That's next to the trees for folks who want to hammock, and nearest to the firewood, and the poles they've cut, if we want to put up the 'chute. There's an unmetalled road leads around and up to that area, but most cars won't make it if the snow lies. Parking around the main house would be as close as most can get I reckon. So from there to the site.

Does that help ?

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glad it worked :D

Just had a thought, if the snow's still lying deeply, carrying stuff is going to be a right royal pain, but up my loft are two of those plastic sledges the kids use. Blooming sight easier to pull them full of kit that it would be to carry it as well as wade through the snow.

cheers,
M

If anyone wants them up, I'll pack them

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
mary, im heading doing to the lodge at about 9.30/10am ish, do i have to go and speak to someone at the lodge or is it camp anywhere time now the snow is here. :red:

colin...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm hoping for a phone call from one of the staff who lives nearby. He said he would.
Either way I'll call and leave a message on their answer machine that you'll be up.
They are expecting us, but if I phone they'll get the loo block open and the water on.

The water in the burn comes past a farm so not recommended fit to drink.

Camp wherever you choose really, that top corner seemed most suitable. The corner nearest the house is damp enough that they intend to dig it out a bit and create a canoeing loch, so not the best for camping since it's wet even in Summer.

Colin pm me ? and I'll give you my mobile number and if you'd give me yours I can get in touch with you if we come up tomorrow or Tuesday.

cheers,
M

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Mary pm sent, looking forward to the snow camping, should be fun, off to pack my kit now.

All you people swaying about coming due to the weather, just go pack your kit, you know it makes sense and that you will have a good time, just make sure you bring plenty of warm gear and you will be fine, by the time you get there i should have a nice fire going and a brew on :welcome1:, any one who comes loses the fairweather camper tittle for ever......

See you later

Colin aka anuk of the north :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just had a call from Peter (Woods_man) who went up for a recce.
He's now at Abingdon services. He's driving a Peugeot 307 and he got stuck on the road to the site twice. Had to be pushed out once and towed out again by a tractor.

He doesn't recommend it folks. It snowed again while he was there and the snow filled in the car tracks.

I reckon that unless you are driving something like a Land rover and you are used to driving in snow, this one's off. :(

Anuk of the North, aka coln18 :D is going up tomorrow, and he is driving a land rover defender. He says that if he can get in he's camping, and if anyone else comes up later on he'll help if needed.

Hopefully Peter will post when he gets home and fill in the details.

Meanwhile I've got quarter of a deer in the freezer for you lot and I'm vegan :rolleyes:
Shall I go ahead and book Comriecroft's hall for the end of January for a skills sharing weekend ? The venison will keep frozen until then :)

cheers,
Mary

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks for the heads up Mary, i appreciate all the hard work you have put in on this one, but i think someone had being practicing their snow dance.

As it stands i shall still head up in the morning, but i will wait to hear first from Barn owl to see if there are others planning on going tomorrow, if it was only me, i may as well camp Loch lomondside, so any one planning on heading to Wiston tomorrow please post here to let us know.

P.S IF YOU LEAVE IT TOO LATE AND COME UP ME AND MY SNOWMAN ARMY WILL TAKE YOU OUT, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! :BlueTeamE

Colin.... :welcome1:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just had a phone call from a staff member. He comments that the conditions on the site are really bad.
It's snowing again just now but it's interspersed with wet sleet showers too :(
The weather forecast has severe weather warnings and is expected to be cold, with snow showers and high winds later in the week.

He said that even the tractor is finding it hard going. I'm not risking getting stuck with the Ignis :sigh:

So, unless anyone has a brilliant idea for a last minute site, I can only wish you all a great New Year and hope to see you all sometime soon.

atb,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a shame guys, it was looking favourable for a late arrival after work too.

Fancy too much snow putting a stop to a Scottish meet :(

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
shocking isnt it Rich, just check the local long range forecast and after tomorrow it looks as if the sun is going to be back from its xmas holidays, so you are more than welcome. :welcome1: to come up later in the week..

All the best Colin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a shame guys, it was looking favourable for a late arrival after work too.

Fancy too much snow putting a stop to a Scottish meet :(

It's not so much the snow, it's the access :sigh:
If Peter had gotten in safely today I'd still have said wait and see.
Staff say the tractor had to put on snow chains, so that kind of didn't bode well, especially when most of us drive family cars.
There's no where else nearby to park safely, the village has a hill and a real twist of a road in it,

If you do get there you're free to do the whole better than us raspberry blowing :D I won't be offended, but I'm not encouraging anyone to get stuck in the back of beyond at this time of year.

atb,
Mary

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
The Scottish meet is back on:You_Rock_ (well on a reduced scale anyway).

Barn Owl and Coln18 are still going up, plan to go up and meet at the small villlage before Wiston, i think its called Rigside for about 11.30am, we will then head up in the 2 4x4 cars and check out the local conditions, if its bad, we will just find somewhere else to pitch up for the night,

i will give Mary a phone tomorrow and let her know how it is on the ground and she can post details for everyone else planning a trip upl..

Colin

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Colin and I are def' going. Meeting at Rigside village c. 11:30hrs.

My mobile is...07971613014.

If access is totally gubbed then we'll find somewhere nearby.:D

Tom.

Oops beat me to it...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tam and Colin have just phoned :D
They are having a beautiful day up there :cool:

The main roads are clear and the estate *is* being cleared enough to get to the carpark at least :)

Admittedly today is sunny and clear but if the weather holds getting to the site isn't the nightmare it was even yesterday afternoon.

I've just checked the long range weather forecast from the Met Office for the area.
There is snow predicted for tomorrow afternoon/ evening and then it's expected to be slightly overcast, with low temperatures, but not snowy, until Friday. Friday it forecasts snow, freezing temperatures and from then on Wintry showers. Easterly winds and heavy frosts inland at night.

Up to yourselves folks :D
Tam and Colin are on site, Colin is happy to pass on his mobile number for folks coming up and has offered to use the Land rover to help as needed. He said he got right up to the site :D

It's forty minutes down the motorway for me so I think I'm going to head down tomorrow or Wednesday for a looksee. Yesterday there was no way my car would have gotten me there safely. Today.....?

Isn't UK's weather fun ? :rolleyes:

Cold we deal with, wet we deal with, ice we deal with, snow we deal with, but all together? hmmm :eek:

Anyway, Happy New Year when it comes :D

cheers,
M

woods_man

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Clydebank
Hi, think I am going to pass on going to this now, sorry
Its was -5 at 19:30 tonight at my house,
have a drink for me!
Peter..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE