Hogmanay Meet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What dates will you manage to be at Wiston Lodge for Hogmanay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I typed that reply this afternoon when we had beautiful sunshine, even if it was bitterly cold.
Tonight, I've just been out to the bin, skiteing on the ice as I did so :eek:, and l looked at the garden thermometer. It's reading -7 here right now :sigh:

Don't blame you staying home Peter, this one is just a good idea that didn't work out. :(

Have a good New Year, we'll catch up in January sometime :)

cheers,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Wanted to go,had it mostly organised, was on the brink of it.....but its looking like too much of a risk :( I really wanted to go as well

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
To be honest, we've done Hogmanay meets in the cold before.
the one outside Stirling a few years back dipped down to about -10, last year at comrie it was coming on for that.
It's a pity I can't be there, but at the moment it's just possible that level of cold would kill me ;)
It's 20+c and sunny here during the day, and I'm acclimatised now.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Sorry I haven't had a chance to post this earlier, been having computer issues. For anyone going up, take it for granted that the temperature will be at least another 5 degree colder than anything forecast. I worked up there for a wee while, I remember having to break ground for fencing with a pinch bar due to frozen ground in April. Other than that I hope you all enjoy yourself if you do get up. It is a really nice location.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wondered where you'd gotten to :D

Mind thon excavation when the blizzard came down ? The one with all the sondage pits? Mesolithic cores and a Neolithic axehead? It was just along the road from there; that was not a good time :( I think it took two days for me to get warm again.

cheers,
Mary

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Was still thinking of going -or trying to get through anyway ;) though not till Thursday - will anyone be there?

GrahamS - I think you might need a bit more than your camel coat to survive this one - hope Saudi's treating you well.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm back home.

Mainly due to my back.
It was -8 on Colins watch and -12 on my car temp last night.

Snowing again when we left today,some drifts starting on the road to the village.

A cracking site though and we're welcome anytime. :You_Rock_ Wiston Lodge.

Def' need to get a meet there when the weather isn't as inclement.
Everyone will like it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for letting us know Tam :)

It is a good site for a meet up, isn't it ? :cool:
I knew of it but had never been there until I contacted them and went up for a recce. So pleased to find it was as good as I hoped, and the staff are both friendly and helpfully welcoming.

I knew that those Lanarkshire highlands were exposed though, and experience of working around there told me it *could* be bitter cold.
We've managed cold fine before, but the early snow and ice this year just put the tin lid on this one, I reckon :(

Sorry people, the best-laid schemes of mice and men gang aft agley, as a fellow Scot once said.

Hope everyone has a good New Year, if anyone has a last minute site for sharing, let us know ?

cheers,
M

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
yes Tam took a lot of photos, but i think it will be a while till his poor wee toes defrost, by the look of him i estimate that he will be out the bath next wednesday and then we may see the photos.... :lmao:

Colin

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Lovely bunch of staff we met, Meg,Micha,Pete,Mark.

Showers and toilet facilities,excellent for when we've a lot of folks.

The sitka plantation needs some clearing so Russ would have a great time. :D

I really can't emphasise enough how good this site is for us.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My bath was glorious:lmao:

Pics will be coming but need oor Gemma to load them on 'puter and photobucket.

Picking her up soon,so hopefully she'll do it tonight.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
goodjob:D I'm glad you's guy's made it through the nite it was a freezer last nite, and it's to be the same tonite ...:dunno:is the meet off or is anybody heading back up ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I didnt really think it was that bad last night, i think its important to operate at a level you are comfy with, if you have the right experience and kit a night like last night is no problem. It is also a chance to test your skills that you have built up, be them bushcraft or camping skills as well as a chance to see how you operate when out of your comfort zone.
I dont think you learn as much about yourself and your capibilties unless you leave your comfort zone occasionally.

On these nights its also so beautiful with a clear sky full of stars, a chance to learn more constallations and kick back and admire the christmas card scene before you.

Sometimes when in doubt you just have to brave the elements and see what you are able to handle, if anyone has any doubts about going up there this week, think again, grab your rucksack and head to the meet and test yourself, and if no one else is there, so what, pitch your tent and enjoy the quite....

Merry xmas every one

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
While admirable sentiments Colin, personally I like my bushcrafting to be kind of 'chilled out', as in mellow, not frozen into an icepole. :eek:
I want the bone deep contentment of thinking, " This is the life :D", and have time to relax and enjoy the site and the company.

You are going to the Arctic soon, and your frame of mind must be on that, :cool: However the possibilities are pretty good that the journey to the site is outwith many folks comfort and/ or safety zone, I'm not going to nag at them to make more of an effort to go up. It's not an issue.

If the kit that they usually use is not suitable for the temperatures that are on site, it only means a miserable night trying to be warm enough to sleep. Most of us have 'cold, temperate environment' kit, very few have total Arctic stuff.
If it was -12 last night that's at the limits for almost all of us. I have slept in it down to -17, it isn't something I'm in any hurry to repeat tbh, and as Robby said, the temperatures can drop another -5 all too quickly up there.

There's no opprobium on folks being practical and sensible about things.

However, as the saying goes, "Don't like the weather? don't worry, this is Scotland, there'll be another kind along in a minute" :D :D
We'll get there eventually :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE