Hogmanay Meet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What dates will you manage to be at Wiston Lodge for Hogmanay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Those are the dates agreed with Wiston. If you want to camp either side of those you need to contact them yourself. The lady who deals with bookings is named Pam.

There are only a few folks who are intending to camp right through, we've left the dates wide so that there's opportunity for more to come even if just for an overnighter.

Is this the information you wanted ?

cheers,
M

yes cheers, there might be a chance I can get up with woodstock:)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I do indeed :D

Wiston Lodge....ML12 6HT
http://www.wistonlodge.co.uk/faq.html

I come as though from Glasgow but find it easier to stay on the Motorway until j13, Abington and go that way. I find it's easier and actually quicker driving the motorway a bit further down than going through countryside.

cheers,
M

Toddy is that the old winston baracks area of lanark by the race course

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, this is not far from Rigside. Wiston village is from Glasgow/ Edinburgh further down the motorway.

It lies literally at the foot of Tinto hill.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, it's official, I'm mother henning :eek:

The temperature in my garden this morning is -11 oC, and I live in the warm bit of Lanarkshire.

Wiston is up the cold end and it's high. It is at the foot of Tinto Hill.
Google and the satellite view shows beautiful greens, it's not looking like that this week :rolleyes:
It's bitter cold, with a foot of snow, more probably on the way. The only saving grace is that there's no wind.
It is very beautiful, for about eight hours a day, and then the temperature plummets and it's dark for nearly sixteen hours.

The long range weather forecast says showers and hard frosts with snow in the North.
I want to know what they mean by North ? Right now I'm looking at a Winter wonderland here.

However, while happy to go up to Wiston (can't get through on the phone :sigh:) I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of folks driving long distance in this weather.

I did get through to the Crafty Beggars who live nearby.
R. said that the estate roads haven't been gritted and are not easy, so we're not likely to get right next to the campsite by car. The main roads are clear and good though, it's just that last bit into the estate and up to the campsite. It's normally only a four or five minute walk from the house carpark, but the snow is deep and static camp kit is heavy.

Mind too these are Arctic like conditions. If you are not sure your kit is sufficient, then please think very carefully about the practicalities of this.

This one is up to yourselves folks. I'll keep things updated as I can.

atb,
Mary

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I may come up for the 1st during the day now. Just discovered that the exped mat that i thought i was getting for christmas has been forgotten by santa!!!!!

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
ive got a Christmas cold and cough so think i will give it a miss especially if it continues to be as bitterly cold as it has been, i think last year at -8 or so without the snow was about the comfort limits of me and my gear, think it was -11 here last night,

I will keep an eye on the weather though and if it and i pick up ill pop along for a day at least

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I will be there no matter what, going on the arctic exped in feb 2010, so colder the better, so i can trial any new kit in these conditions.

hope im not the only one there, can we have a show of hands for those who still plan to go, i know its always the case with these things that at the start every man and his dog posts to say they will be there, but when the time comes very few show. i alway think this is a real shame for the person who has put so much hard work into orginising these things, i just feel if you say your going to go, thats what you should do, unless of course you have a real emergency or just cant go for a real reason..

Merry xmas everyone and looking forward to meeting some real die hards in the snow....:christmas1:

Colin

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I might pop along if I'm on the mainland.
Supposed to be helping strip out a boat though and if that goes ahead - as colin says - I'll be sticking to what I've already said I'll do.

Don't blame you for playing mother hen Toddy, it's clucking chilly out there. ;)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I phoned friends who live close by.
They say the main roads are clear, the estate isn't and there are no plans to clear there.
The snow on the camp ground is about a foot deep.

It's a five or ten minute walk in from the closest we'll manage to get ordinary cars.

The firewood is down the glen, cut into metre long logs.

The site is there, they will have the loo block open so there'll be drinking water on site, though with all the snow I don't think that's a problem.

The M74 was closed on Monday and through the night, and there is a severe weather warning out for tonight. The long range forecasts seem to be suggesting more of the same but maybe with some daytime rain.

Unless you have direct access to the M74/A74 I reckon you have to ask yourself is your journey necessary.

On the plus side.......
Last year at Comriecroft was cold and icy, lots of frozen rain and slush.
So far we don't have that this time. It's snowy, bitter cold but it's almost a dry cold. Rare as hen's teeth in Scotland :rolleyes:

It's a beautiful bit of the world, it sits right at Tinto foot, and I would love to go :D
Meanwhile HWMBLT and Sons 1 & 2 are telling me in no uncertain terms I'm nuts to even consider it :sigh:

I have a promise from one of Wiston Lodge's staff that he will phone me on Sunday around lunchtime and tell me what the conditions are like. He has to pick up someone from Glasgow Airport that day so he'll have had to make the journey, etc., etc.,

All I can say just now is, well, maybe :dunno:

If anyone who has said they're going needs to get in touch with me, pm and I'll give you my phone number.
I'm not out of pocket over this, and the Lodge are being very understanding, so there're no other issues to deal with.

atb,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My backs sore as hell but my wee vitara will get me there.

I'm still going Mon-Wed/Thurs.:D

And Colin any bother wi the Landy and I'll pull you out mate.:lmao:

Tell you what though,I'm so glad i've got the Freelander and vitara this past week.

I've room for one (back of the vitara is for gear) unless Gill comes up with me.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To elaborate on Russ's comment; the firewood is down a glen, it's kind of steep and a foot deep in snow. We're getting it free because we said we'd carry it up outselves and their forester wouldn't have to do that work, but that was before the snow came.
The parachute poles have been cut, but they're lying somewhere in the woods, under a foot of snow :dunno:

If I bring the chute up I know that the Ignis won't manage an icy path or hill :sigh: it's got those blasted energy saving tyres and HWMBLT won't let me change the wheels and fit wider ones. If you are going up I'll park as near as I can get and you can maybe take things up from there ?

I also have the big pots and the venison for New Year's dinner if you want them up.

I won't be the least offended, and I'm certain neither will Russ, if this one doesn't come off. We've made the contacts, seen the site, they're good people and we can go up another time.

I know, I'm mother henning folks :eek: you're all very capable and anything but stupid, I've just got visions of frozen people wishing they'd just stayed home :sigh:

atb,
Mary

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'll find the firewood and the poles,eventually.

I've a big tarp anyway that can fit a good few below it and allow the fire pan to blaze.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Another quick question...if its a camping and caravan park as it says on their website I take it I could drive straight onto the field where I'd pitch up the tipi?

V.

woods_man

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Clydebank
Hi, don't know if my kits up to it! but thinking of popping down on Sunday, to see how bad it is before getting my kit sorted, don't think i will do the 5 days now, but will see,

peter...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey guys,

I hope you all had a great xmas:christmas1:

I shall be going down to Wiston on Monday 28th at about 9.30am, so i guess i will see you then, ive got a defender 110 that should cope with the snow, so if anyone needs a lift from the main car park, just give me a shout and i will pm you my mobile number.

all the best

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE