Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I have enjoyed reading and learning from the site, so I decided to join. I haven't posted on a blog / discussion group before, so please excuse me if I break any conventions or unwritten rules. Also, I'll be a bit at sea regarding abbreviations and jargon. Anyway, here goes my intro:

I live in northern Scotland where I volunteer as a Scout leader.

I have messed about in the woods for years since being a Scout myself, but I need to learn more so I can carry less and enjoy the walking and playing more. I'd also like to learn more so I can teach more.

My kit for bushcraft has evolved from hillwalking and Munro bagging. I am trying to use a hammock efficiently. I regularly abandon my tent for a tarp. I have an Ikea hobo stove and have recently bought a wood gas stove. The wood gas is better than the hobo when it's behaving, but I'm still learning how to use it efficiently. I like using open fires when I can find a secluded spot. My wife is less keen when I return home smelling of outdoor fun.

My favourite knife is my Condor Bushlore as it's the first knife I have bought for decades and it feels like an outdoors knife. Unfortunately, I attempted to re-profile it with, initially, stones then, impatiently, an angle grinder. My penalty for rushing may have been a loss of the blade's temper (as well as my own). I don't know enough to make real a judgement but I feel that the edge does not last.

I bought a TOPS BOB knife about 8 months ago. I have a bit of a love and hate relationship with this rather expensive investment. No more angle grinders, however, as I now have a Lansky system that works well and has improved the edges on both my knives.

I am learning to use a fire drill by self-taught trial and error. So far I can make lots of smoke but struggle to generate a coal (if that's the right term). I'm also waiting for spring so I can start to identify plants I can eat. I am a beginner fisherman: my daughter and I enjoy losing tackle in the kelp while watching others reel in fish. I'd like to have a go for rabbit with an air rifle and am working to find somewhere where I can pursue this goal legally.

Well, that's a bit about my interest in bushcraft. I hope I can add to the wider group as I progress. Right now, I'm afraid I'll be asking questions most of the time.

If you have been, thanks for reading.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE