Brooklyn-Based, Moving to UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello! I currently live in Brooklyn but am moving to the UK this upcoming autumn. I’m brand new to bushcraft, so I’ve been really enjoying the beginning of my journey, joining forums and learning the very basics. I love the outdoors, and I’m excited to continue meeting people in the community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapping the Big Apple for the land of the Big Yin?

Enjoy ! and welcome

Reactions: passionflower

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hello and welcome. I live near northern Ireland. give me a shout when you here and perhaps we might meet up and learn some things. dale x

Hello and welcome. I live near northern Ireland. give me a shout when you here and perhaps we might meet up and learn some things. dale x
Thank you! Sounds great, Dale; Looking forward to it!
There are other members in Ireland. We need to get a few of us together if poss.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Thank you, Chris! I’ve definitely gotten amazing advice and am learning so much already. It’s looking like I’ll be living in Scotland, going between a university there and one in Northern Ireland as well for grad school. And l actually only learned the term “bushcraft” for the first time a few weeks ago, then I was instantly pulled in. I love nature and getting outside, but I am also very interested in foraging, building shelters, immersing myself in my surroundings, and becoming more resilient.
Scotland is the best place in the UK due to the right to roam.
The big thing to check is our weapon laws as they are bizarre.
Also it worth checking what sort of stove/fire you can use as no one seems sure on a location by location basis.
Also what sort of transport are you going to use to and from as that can make a big difference in what you can carry back and forward. Depending on where in Scotland it might be cheaper to fly than drive however if you near the left side it might be worth popping down to Whitehaven and walking onto a ferry. It really worth checking.
Northern Ireland is an amazing almost untouched landscape so very envious that you are getting to spend time there.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Something I forgot is you might want to check out Paul Kirtley's podcast and website plus other UK based before you come as there are things you can get that are not available in the UK.
You can buy anti-biotics which we have to be prescribed them by a doctor. Codeine on its own is also prescription only now here. Also you can get chemicals we cannot not.
You might want to check out kit before you come as our prices tend to be the same as yours however when you take into account the exchange rate in the US you are paying half what we are or maybe more.

Scotland is the best place in the UK due to the right to roam.
The big thing to check is our weapon laws as they are bizarre.
Also it worth checking what sort of stove/fire you can use as no one seems sure on a location by location basis.
Also what sort of transport are you going to use to and from as that can make a big difference in what you can carry back and forward. Depending on where in Scotland it might be cheaper to fly than drive however if you near the left side it might be worth popping down to Whitehaven and walking onto a ferry. It really worth checking.
Northern Ireland is an amazing almost untouched landscape so very envious that you are getting to spend time there.
This is all such great information to know; thank you! From everything I’ve been reading and hearing, I know there’s so much to see and explore.

Something I forgot is you might want to check out Paul Kirtley's podcast and website plus other UK based before you come as there are things you can get that are not available in the UK.
You can buy anti-biotics which we have to be prescribed them by a doctor. Codeine on its own is also prescription only now here. Also you can get chemicals we cannot not.
You might want to check out kit before you come as our prices tend to be the same as yours however when you take into account the exchange rate in the US you are paying half what we are or maybe more.
Ah yes, Paul Kirtley! I believe I found out about him from another forum I joined, and I’ve really learned a lot! Thank you again for this wealth of information, @Minotaur!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Isn´t it illegal to bring into UK drug that are under prescription if you don´t have a prescription if the customs want to search the bags?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE