grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
They supposedly taste good. So far, mine have gone in the freezer. When I get round to buying a hand mincer, I'll be making burgers out of them!

they taste delicious its just very hard work skinning them and theres not a lot of meat for your effort
sudgest gutting first then just hatchet them in half peal the skin off the rear and just cook and eat that part

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
How are reds for eating?
I'm certainly not suggesting putting reds in the pot as they are endangered here - but assuming we do turn the grey tide and the reds repopulate their lost territory and their numbers recover to a healthy population... how are they in the pot when compared to the greys?
lol
doughtful that tide wil turn any time soon

Nov 7, 2008
I think Grey Squirrels need to be controled. They do so much damage to songbirds at nesting time. I worked in a cemetery in east london and we put up about 50 nest boxes and in the space of two weeks 43 boxes had been raided in the nesting seson. we started shooting them with and air rifle (we thought we had about 20 in the cemmetery) in 1 month i shot 60 and it didnt look like we had made any dent in the local population. We keeped this up for two years replaced the fronts of the boxes and put up metal plates on them and any new box. Now there are still a few squirrels (we try to keep them about 15 to 20 pairs), but alot more small birds at the cemeterey. Also less complaints from the public with regards to them digging up peoples bulbs and plants on the graves.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
i live next to Regents park here in London and there are thousands of the little gits. would love to go shooting but some how think the Met police might have a word in my ear. Its a shame the native red are down in such low numbers i love their coats, they would make great mochisons.

Mooseman - maybe have a word with the park authority.
I'd imagine if you had permission (as hard as that might be to get) you'd be able to shoot in a restricted manner without having to explain yourself to the business end of a firearms officer.

So - has anyone here eaten both red and grey? I'm interested to hear what difference there is between them food wise (not that I plan to eat reds, well, not in the areas where it's at risk anyway - maybe in the areas where it is in a healthier and unprotected population).

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Make the little beggars a food delicacy that sells at a high price and pretty soon they will be rae enough. Come on Jamie and co. you have the answers to the problem, on a plate as it were...

Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall has already covered this on his progs. Forrestry chap catching and killing one for him to make a banquet out of, wee, several in fact!

Some have said keep them around for food...
...I would think that if we eliminated all greys and saw the corresponding increase in reds, we'd be able to take reds off the endangered list and eat those instead.
Surely taking them off the list is the ultimate goal right?

As for "rather see a grey than nothing at all" - yea, true, but it's not that choice. It's "rather a red than a grey". :)

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
LOL this is funny. My Dad retired to his house he built in northern Maine to live the life. Since then he has been having a feud with red squirrels. The are killing the birds and taking down his bird feeders. Dads been downing the ******** with a catapult, or a 22.

Of course he has also been eating them as well. Its funny you alwase eat well at my dads. Just dont tell the wife what we are eating and everythign will be fine.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Boston073, can you explain the history of red and grey squirrels in the US?

I thought this grey v red business was a strictly British issue: the red squirrel is native to the British Isles and to Europe while the grey squirrel is an American species which in the UK one day escaped from a private collection and ever since multiplied here.

As said here in other posts the grey squirrel is more adaptable and less fussy with his food than the native red squirrel so its progression was always to the detriment of and loss of territory for the red squirrel.

My question is: your post mentions a red squirrel in America and a problem there also between reds and greys;
Is your red squirrel the same species and the British/European species? If it is, is it native to the US or has it been imported by European settlers?

If both species are native to the North American continent and co-exist, they probably have their own long-established territories. If your red squirel is an "import", then it is remarkable that he could conquer any territory at all over his grey cousin.

nomade...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_squirrel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel

Note lack of cute tufts on ears on the yank imposter... I mean species. :p

Since the Eurasian Red is particularly susceptible to the pox and doesn't really have a taste for bird eggs like the Eastern Grey (east America that is, not Far East) I think it unlikely Squirrel Nutkin would be causing so much bother over there, not that he was all sweetness over here - bothering Old Brown like that.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks for the info "Big Shot", question answered! It shows the American Red Squirrel is of a different genus to the other two (grey and Eurasian red).

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
I used to hunt them with a .410 or a Rapid 7 they are good eating if you have a few of them. We used to bbq them on our allotment, plenty of basting with olive oil & chilli.

Mostly though I used to skin them & give the skins to the boys with terriers & freeze them in our garage freezer. I bought an old blender from a boot sale, minced them up bones 'n all & fed the ferrets with them.

Calc

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
I like squirrels so voted no. :( A squirrel is a squirrel isn't it, what does it matter what colour it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE