grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters
P

Phantom

hi peeps,
im jst wunderin what ur thought is on the cull of grey squirrels.....do you agree.
i do
cheers phantom

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
No as a keen vermin hunter - they offer fantastic sport!

But Yes if putting all selfish reasons aside - The Grey is often blamed for the plight of the Red Squirrel but it is the fragility of the Red and limited diet adaptability that is largely responsible for its demise. Greys however are as responsible for the demise in our British songbirds as cats and will quite happily munch their way through a nest of eggs or fledglings the wicked little sods!

P

Phantom

other way round
yes=we agree with them being culled(killed)
no=lets leve them alone

phantom :D

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I think the numbers need to be kept down, as they do damage trees, but so do children when it's conker season.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Other way round :lmao:

Leave em alone - so I can shoot them for years to come (not all of em)

Kill em all - cause they are songbird murderin bar stewards

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
stonyman said:
I think the numbers need to be kept down, as they do damage trees, but so do children when it's conker season.
I have just conjured up an amusing image of children stealing from a birdtable :lmao:

P

Phantom

:lmao: pretty funy
no body seems to like these squirrels much do they :D

phantom

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I think they are lovely little creatures but unfortunately IMHO they have to go - they are not native, If it is possible to get rid of them then I vote yes. You'd understand my perspective if you came from a country lke me with a disasterous history of species introductions: Australia (Rabbits, Toads, Cats, Dogs, Pigs, Camels, Buffalo, Rats, The English Cricket Team).;)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
We seem to average between 600 and 800 every year between the keeper and myself. He is at it after the busy part of the season nearly every day with his assistant. Two of us go out about twice a week when the leaves are off. Our bag varies between 5 and 30 each time.
If we do not try and keep on top of the numbers it is really very serious as it is almost impossible to get Oak, Beech and Sycamore beyond 20 years old without squirell damage. With an aging tree population here in this part of the world this is an almost herculean if not impossible task.
People are surprised when I tell the numbers culled and unless they know or are shown the damage one has an interesting time persuading them otherwise. My policy if out with my 20b if confronted (it happens) is to dismantle the gun immediately. So if they are asked by the local police (who know I do this) will be put in a position where they have to tell the truth! We usually have about two instances each season and each one of our team has the same instructions. If out with the air rifle I usually stand still and people do not see me. I am learning about rifle shooting as it is really quite different to shotgun practice.
I have had a couple of R & L squirells but only twice!
Swyn

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are scary numbers Swyn :eek: around here I maybe see half a dozen all year, and it gets so I can recognise individuals. The reds seem to stick to the Greeny, the Scots pine woodlands, but the greys run over the houses and steal the bird food.
Cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Toddy said:
Those are scary numbers Swyn :eek: around here I maybe see half a dozen all year, and it gets so I can recognise individuals. The reds seem to stick to the Greeny, the Scots pine woodlands, but the greys run over the houses and steal the bird food.
Cheers,
Toddy

Maybe that's where (the Scots pine woodlands) the reds have their competitive edge. Because here the reds steal bird food too. Perhaps the greys just are better at stealing bird food...

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Absolutley yes,their not native to Britain and have had a massive effect on our native red squizzers as well as our songbirds.Wipe them out,they dont belong here!

rancid badger

Here at Chopwell Wood, the population has gone haywire, there are literally thousands of the damn things. As you walk around the wood they are constantly scurrying about, very much like rats on a tip.

We have been discussing culling recently ( trapping) but the outcome is that its only really worth doing if you still have reds in residence (officially)

Well, sad to say but I haven't seen red squirrels in Chopwell Wood for well over seven years now and believe me, if they were there, I'd have spotted them.we have had numerous bogus reports of reds, including one nugget claiming that they saw:"a red kite swoop from the sky and snatch the poor little red squirrel away!" all of which when investigated turn out to be greys. (no red kites involved either!)

on the plus side, I've found a few dead greys recently, no outward signs of illness or injury just dead and always among the tree's as opposed to roadkill or bladdered by cats.

oh well!
Kind regards
R.B.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I think a nation wide call is long over due did anyone catch my post on the RSPCA releasing one back into the wild....if that had have been you or me we would have wound up in court

Yep! The one animal I kill on sight when I'm out and about with the air rifle (They are delicious, by the way, although a complete swine to skin!)

I'm sort of with Silverback in that I would, normally, approach hunting this species with a conservationist perspective (I won't take the shot on an obviously pregnant doe in high summer, for example, as she is potentially producing next Autumn's meals!) but all evidence suggests that these very successful invaders do far more damage than their existence in this country warrants. So, despite the great sport that they offer to the air rifle hunter - it's indiscriminate killing from me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE