grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No hesitation, I'll pull the trigger on one of those little grey ba$tards as soon as I can! They take everything and give nothing back, the nuts they bury are gnawed at one end so as they don't germinate if forgotten, bark stripped off of trees, song bird eggs eaten, they are vicious little gits and a .22 lead injection puts them right in their place! The only problem is that no matter how many you pop off, they just keep coming. The farm I shoot on always has them running around due to the surrounding woods where I don't have permission to shoot. It's like a crap video game!

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Definitely yes. I live in NE Ssotland which is a stronghold for Reds, however greys were introduced into Aberdeen around 20 years ago, into one of the parks, and are gradually spreading outwards through the woods of the Dee and Don valleys. We have an active policy of culling greys here. The FC employ a squirrel control officer whose job is to co-ordinate control of greys with local keepers, landowners and rangers, and also to promote conservation measures to help the reds.
Tree planting schemes here promote the growing of scots pine, spruces and small-seeded broadleaves, such as birch which favour the reds, rather than large-seeded broadleaves such as beech, oak and hazel, which the greys prefer.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I must admit i have shot a few greys in my teens but in recent years i have gotten a little soft and find it hard to shoot something im not going to eat (tried it once and it put me off for life)

More recently i have been reading about the damage they cause to the native wild life and it seems like the native stuff needs a little help ;)

I think its time to dig out the old Weihrauch HW70 and see if i can help tip the scales a little . :AR15firin

Anyone have any nice recipies to hand for out doors prep/cooking ? If someone can actually make the little rats taste nice ill promise to do my bit :eek:

ganstey

Settler
Yes. I have a real problem with them ring-barking the tops of my trees down in the wood. As I'm not often there its hard to know what practical (and legal) measures I can take to control them. I'm looking at getting an air rifle solely for this purpose, and I know my neighbour gives them a lead injection whenever he sees them.

G

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
We seem to average between 600 and 800 every year between the keeper and myself. He is at it after the busy part of the season nearly every day with his assistant. Two of us go out about twice a week when the leaves are off. Our bag varies between 5 and 30 each time.
If we do not try and keep on top of the numbers it is really very serious as it is almost impossible to get Oak, Beech and Sycamore beyond 20 years old without squirell damage. With an aging tree population here in this part of the world this is an almost herculean if not impossible task.
People are surprised when I tell the numbers culled and unless they know or are shown the damage one has an interesting time persuading them otherwise. My policy if out with my 20b if confronted (it happens) is to dismantle the gun immediately. So if they are asked by the local police (who know I do this) will be put in a position where they have to tell the truth! We usually have about two instances each season and each one of our team has the same instructions. If out with the air rifle I usually stand still and people do not see me. I am learning about rifle shooting as it is really quite different to shotgun practice.
I have had a couple of R & L squirells but only twice!
Swyn

What's your secret of killing them? do you sit and wait or do you go and find them?
The ones in my woods are really shy and are off as soon as they see you.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Here in southwest scotland there seem to be less and less reds being seen every year , I take out as many greys as I possibly can as do all of the other shooters I know . But unfortunately I personally think the advance is too far gone to turn the tide . But we will keep trying to save our little red friends :)

What's your secret of killing them? do you sit and wait or do you go and find them?
The ones in my woods are really shy and are off as soon as they see you.

Ambush and baiting (and I've had a few opportunist hits). Knowing your patch and their dreys and runs helps. At this time of year, stake out a feeder tree although this requires the upmost discipline (patience, stillness and concealment).

Successful baiting for me includes smearing peanut butter on known runs and apparently they love Bounty Bars too (never tried them myself).

They are tough and a heavier pellet works best (I fire a .20 and go for a dimpled dome pellet when going after them - it delivers a heavier punch although the effective range is reduced somewhat). I have heard of .177 pellets bouncing off grey squirrel skulls, although this is purely anecdotal and some of the .177 shooters may correct me on this. A heavier pellet means getting in closer and this is why they offer such good sport for the hunter - you really have to pit your wits against them and they're not daft - they'll instinctively go around to the blind side of a trunk on spotting you and misses are more common than hits.

Hope this helps.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Arth.

The bag really depends on the location. If the ground cover is heavy the element of surprise works well. If the area is heavily walked they have become used to human presence and are a little slow.
With shot gunning the main aim is to keep them moving. My average is 5 shots to one. If they manage to hide then, usually, unless a close shot can cause movement, one moves on. I do a lot of running!..... See squirrel.... run towards it, this makes it go up into the first tree (normally) I then skoot around to the other side and get a shot (or three!)
On the surprise method, squirrel sees human, makes a dash towards a tree and safety. Nine times out of ten they always pause at this tree to get a second look at you, that is when you get your shot.

Towards the later part of the season, stealth is the rule and I then go out with my air rifle. I am still learning how this shoots in different situations so the accuracy is not as good!

We have a method with two persons to shoot the dreys. My partner has a 12b and shoots the drey as this is more powerful. I then get a go with my 20b when and if we get a bolt from the drey. There is not so much running with this method as we can work both sides at once. We also poke the lower dreys with a set of poles. The high ones are more than 30 metres so unless you have the physique of Arnold (or Silverback!) it is easier to shoot them.

I occasionally take keen friends and they are knackered after the day! My knees now really suffer after more than a morning out so we are going to try the 'Honda' method this year. The keeper has got this down to a fine art so will take a leaf from his book.
Hope this helps!

Swyn.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I find that they often run off after being shot in the head just behind the eye. Not sure if their brains are in their butts or what! I have dropped squirrels that haven't even twitched, but not very often. I use a 12 ft lbs Rapid in .22 which wallops rabbits (when there are any about, is there mixy going around at the moment?) and does nicely against rooks and pigeons, but squirrels are a different matter. Ratbag uses a .177 12 ft lbs AA S410k, and suffers the same problems. Very rarely do we get a dropper, and we only shoot sitters and clinger-ons! I once got one from the front to the rear of its' head and that went down straight away, but it is a difficult shot to make, especially when you factor in elevation.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Yip get shot of them (pardon the pun) they don't belong here the destructive little buggers but are supposed to be good eatin. Not tried one though.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
There was something on Radio 4 the other day about this, some people are saying that the cull is a waste of time and money, and that the reds are on their way out. Personaly I say kill em! but the greys are just better at squireling than the reds as far as diet goes the greys eat anything, and I didn't know this but reds eat pollen from plants and trees.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Reds are also affected by a disease carried by the greys, but the greys are immune. Once a red leaves it's territory, it won't go back to it, and they get beaten by the larger greys. The greys were brought across for some king or another, escaped and voila!

I think the cull, although it has good intentions, has come too late. I shoot the little grey buggers as often as I can, but there still seem to be more. They are here to stay unless we create some ghastly disease such as the mixy for rabbits, but let's not go down that avenue. I think keeping the red thriving in little pockets, the last bastions of reds, is the best way. There are a few places round the country like this, the onus should be on keeping them safe and free of the grey at all costs.

i have no probs with the cull

but out of interest how far back do people think a species has to go to be considered native ???
Us........ Man arrived here and devistated the entire anceint forest that covered the whole country turning it into a waste land of fields ???

do we hunt Doormice introduced by the romans as a Food

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Don't they eat the eggs of songbirds? I think I'l have to get my S400 out n ready for some squirrel ploppage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE