General advice for scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So other than than needing an insect repellant stronger than agent orange, 2 midge nets, a smudge fire and a tick hook to avoid ticks vomiting a horrible disease into your blood, any advice?

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its okay folks, due to things beyond my control, the trips off.

I take it a midge nets different to a mozzie net? I have two of those

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear your trip's off Tengu. Can you re-schedule it?

Can I put in a request to visitors not to drive along single track roads only at slow speeds and to please, please, please allow folks to pass when there is an opportunity to do so?
Locals use the roads for getting from A to B and there is nothing more frustrating than a 20mph sightsee-er who just won't let following traffic pass :( :AR15firin :argue:
Oh, and reversing is not an admission of defeat, it's considered courtesy :rolleyes: if you are nearer the passing place, please go back and find it. Trying to arrive at the passing place at the same time as any driver coming towards you, so you can both pass without needing to stop, is a good thing :)

cheers,
Toddy
(who drove hundreds of miles on single track roads last week and was ready to happily strangle the next "25mph is safe, and thou shalt not pass ******* " she came across.)

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Someone mentioned Deet rich insect repellant. But the other week I saw some insect repellant and they made a big thing about it being Deet FREE.
Is there something we should know about Deet.

I presume Magikellys insect nets are midge proof?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Someone mentioned Deet rich insect repellant. But the other week I saw some insect repellant and they made a big thing about it being Deet FREE.
Is there something we should know about Deet.

I presume Magikellys insect nets are midge proof?

Deet is bad stuff Ian, it melts plastic, so what does that say to you about putting it on your skin....Saying that, it does work as a repellant and when you are desperate....
I have some 95% deet, never used it, hope I never have to....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Deet is bad stuff Ian, it melts plastic, so what does that say to you about putting it on your skin....Saying that, it does work as a repellant and when you are desperate....
I have some 95% deet, never used it, hope I never have to....
Don't put that on your skin Jon ! I'm pretty sure 50% is the maximum for skin but you can put stronger stuff on clothes etc.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Did anyone mention William Wallace? :D
What was the advice to Wallace?

Something by Kipling perhaps?

"If you can keep your head, when all around you are losing theirs......."

;)

Or when you say "They can take out lives, but they will never take our freedom" that someone might find the deal acceptable?

Or

"Don't give Gibson the part"?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don't put that on your skin Jon ! I'm pretty sure 50% is the maximum for skin but you can put stronger stuff on clothes etc.

Red

The one I have (just found it) is BENS 100 safari strength insect repellant 95% deet.... It does instruct you to apply to exposed skin, but it does have many warnings on the bottle, including "may damage leather".........:eek:
Bad thing is, after being to the Highlands a few times and experenced Culicoides Impunctatos at its worst, I would douse myself in the stuff, cos those damn miggies drive you mad......MAD I tell you.....

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
What was the advice to Wallace?

Something by Kipling perhaps?

"If you can keep your head, when all around you are losing theirs......."

;)

Or when you say "They can take out lives, but they will never take our freedom" that someone might find the deal acceptable?

Or

"Don't give Gibson the part"?

Red
The latter - but the fool never listened :(

As for Kipling, he had an exceedingly good midge net ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The one I have (just found it) is BENS 100 safari strength insect repellant 95% deet.... It does instruct you to apply to exposed skin, but it does have many warnings on the bottle, including "may damage leather".........:eek:
Bad thing is, after being to the Highlands a few times and experenced Culicoides Impunctatos at its worst, I would douse myself in the stuff, cos those damn miggies drive you mad......MAD I tell you.....
Dam Jon - I saw some 100% stuff that said "on no account apply to skin". Clearly that 5% water makes all the difference!

May Damage leather is worrying!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Dam Jon - I saw some 100% stuff that said "on no account apply to skin". Clearly that 5% water makes all the difference!

May Damage leather is worrying!

Red

Hmmm, I really do not want the stuff on my skin, and I will only use it in desperation. I usually use a natural repellant containing myrtle oil but it doesnt work well against those lady miggies who want your blood....

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I have to say I've never found a commercial repellant that worked against Midgies. The best thing I ever used was a mixture of plain hand cream and citronella oil that a friend of mine made up. As far as I can remember it was just a tub of plain moisturiser with about 8 drops of oil. As to Midge nets, wear it as tight as you can without strangling yourself and you might just survive. One of my old friends from work always recommended a rag soaked in diesel and left to dry, then worn as a neckerchief. Never ever tried it myself though. If you do get the chance to come up then take it. A lot of people complain about the rain we get (not denying we get a lot) but if you're in the hills, it does really bring out the colours in the rocks changing them from greys to blues and purples of every imaginable hue (and a few you would never have dreamt of) around you and change the whole landscape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE