Camping in Scotland in the summer - bad idea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I'm desperate to get some camping booked in for the summer time so I know I have something to look forward to.
Wild and/or wildish campsites would be the preference.

I'd love to explore Scotland; I haven't camped there since doing the West Highland Way with Scouts.

But is the midge situation intolerable during the summer months? Or are some areas less affected than others?
Would it be a better idea to save it until September onwards?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Buy a Beaton's midge jacket, and camp where there's a breeze. East coast is generally less infested than west, but anywhere damp (most of Scotland) and there'll be midgies.

Good anti-histamines help too.

Himself found a campsite on Skye where there was always just enough of a breeze to keep the midgies away. I'll ask him for the name.

Might be a good idea ? ask folks for recommendations of campsites where the midgies don't rule ?

p.s. I've just looked for a link to the Beaton's jacket, but Hogg's of Fife sell their own version too.

Beatons.....much recommended because it's brilliant, it works, it lasts, etc.,

Hogg's version....no idea, but Hogg's are pretty sound :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JFW and Foogs

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If you are going anywhere near the Argyle forests, then the answer to the OP is - yes, bad idea.

Edited to add:
:mosquitos:
(For absolutely no good reason)

Last edited:
Reactions: Foogs

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I no longer camp on the West Coast during the summer, autumn, winter & spring only.
I leave the midge & tourists to enjoy one another ;)

Reactions: Foogs

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Many thanks for the responses.

It seems like the best bet is to leave it a little later in the year, though if you do have any campsite recommendations @Toddy I'd be all ears :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In a warm damp September the midges can be worse than in high summer, especially if it follows a drought.

Personally, I go when I want to go where I want to go, I just wear Smidge when they're around.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Broch I admire the philosophy and well I know that’s what sleeping bag liners are made for but sleeping covered in gunk in hot weather isn’t fun. I worked up in Inverinan Forest on Loch Awe in a wooden house with windows and there wasn’t much we could do about them.

The little buggers don’t sleep much at mid-summer

04:32. Friday 21 June 2024 (BST)
Sunrise in Argyll and Bute Council, UK

22:16 Friday 21 June 2024 (BST)
Sunset in Argyll and Bute Council, UK

…….. and that’s just sunrise and sunset. You can add more than an hour for dawn and dusk.

It’s a long time to be greased.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think you exaggerate :) - it's not made of grease anymore! - Smidge is a very light coating and you don't really know you're wearing it and it lasts a lot longer than the old stuff.

I used to use the 'Natural' stuff made with Bog Myrtle by Survival Aids and I could stand in a group and be the only one not covered in midges - Smidge is even better IMO. Normally, I suffer badly. If I am bitten, I come up in weals and painful itching, so I take it seriously but Scotland is too beautiful to let the little devils win :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve spent a lot of time walking and climbing in the Highlands over the years. My advice would be to go in May or Oct. Both periods are generally not too busy (apart from the BH) and there are few midges. It seems common to get a week or more of clear, dry windless weather in both months. May is nice as the days are long but it’s not muggy and is still quite fresh and late Oct is good for the Autumn colours and you still have a bit of light before the clocks change. Most of my friends that have done a traverse of the Skye ridge (probably the best mountaineering day in the UK) have completed it in May.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE