Hello, new person in East Sussex here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 3, 2024
Lewes, East Sussex
Hi everyone

I've stumbled on the site whilst looking for camping information. I'd like to be in the wilds more often after feeling much too domesticated and disconnected from nature for far too long.

I'm just hoping to find out information that can help me explore this desire, and maybe pick up some practical and resourceful tips for life in general.

Particularly interested in wild camping & swimming. Also I don't drive so will be looking out for places that can be reached in foot.. by train...etc

Thanks and good wishes to you

Kirsty

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hello Kirsty, Welcome to BcUK.

Wild camping isn’t straight forward these days but you’ve come to the right place. Dig into the past posts, there is so much information there. When you are ready, start a post and ask your questions (or tell us what you did :) )

Reactions: triskytelvet

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Hello Kirsty,
Not a wild camp site but. If you want an ice breaking trip, for testing gear or sorting out what kit works for you and a place which is easily reachable by train, you might consider Firle Campsite.
Train line between Lewes and Newhaven and the frequent services (Not all..you need to check) stop at Southease. If you get off there it's a very short walk to the nearby Youth Hostel/ Cafe. If you then walk up over Itford Hill just across the road (A26) from the Hostel, and follow the South Downs Way to Firle Beacon.
From there a track, Firle Bostal, leads down heading North towards the A27 and the Firle Estate.
Camp site: Ordnance Survey ref: TQ 48031 07770 also BN8 6NZ

The camp site may have changed now, but I used to be local and occasionally used it as a training and gear testing run before longer trips as you get a bit of Downland walking and camping all in one session, and an easy escape if things go wobbly.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Hello from Eastbourne, plenty of options around Lewes to get out and about. There are a few campsites locally that offer a wild camping experience, you’ve got pretty good options from Lewes so your best bet is to get an OS map and start exploring. You might struggle with the wild swimming here unless you like having an audience. Plenty of rivers to choose from, but they tend to also attract walkers. There’s always the sea - Tide Mills is pretty good.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good to have you @triskytelvet it looks like you're getting some good advice from people. Forest Knights that @Wayne runs isn't that far from you and they have a regular bushcraft club get together that might be of interest.

Have a look at the Summer BushMoot as well, there's a lot of us get together for up to two week, in the woods sharing knowledge and skills. BushMoot.com

Looking forward to seeing you about the forums goodjob

Apr 3, 2024
Lewes, East Sussex
Hello Kirsty, Welcome to BcUK.

Wild camping isn’t straight forward these days but you’ve come to the right place. Dig into the past posts, there is so much information there. When you are ready, start a post and ask your questions (or tell us what you did

Hello Kirsty,
Not a wild camp site but. If you want an ice breaking trip, for testing gear or sorting out what kit works for you and a place which is easily reachable by train, you might consider Firle Campsite.
Train line between Lewes and Newhaven and the frequent services (Not all..you need to check) stop at Southease. If you get off there it's a very short walk to the nearby Youth Hostel/ Cafe. If you then walk up over Itford Hill just across the road (A26) from the Hostel, and follow the South Downs Way to Firle Beacon.
From there a track, Firle Bostal, leads down heading North towards the A27 and the Firle Estate.
Camp site: Ordnance Survey ref: TQ 48031 07770 also BN8 6NZ

The camp site may have changed now, but I used to be local and occasionally used it as a training and gear testing run before longer trips as you get a bit of Downland walking and camping all in one session, and an easy escape if things go wobbly.
Ooh Firle sounds like a good place to kick off with, and really good advice, I hadn't thought about that - gear test runs nearby, very wise. Thank you

Apr 3, 2024
Lewes, East Sussex
Hello from Eastbourne, plenty of options around Lewes to get out and about. There are a few campsites locally that offer a wild camping experience, you’ve got pretty good options from Lewes so your best bet is to get an OS map and start exploring. You might struggle with the wild swimming here unless you like having an audience. Plenty of rivers to choose from, but they tend to also attract walkers. There’s always the sea - Tide Mills is pretty good.
Thank you Athos, the OS maps for the area I DO have! (OL 11 & OL 25)

Reactions: Athos
Apr 3, 2024
Lewes, East Sussex
Good to have you @triskytelvet it looks like you're getting some good advice from people. Forest Knights that @Wayne runs isn't that far from you and they have a regular bushcraft club get together that might be of interest.

Have a look at the Summer BushMoot as well, there's a lot of us get together for up to two week, in the woods sharing knowledge and skills. BushMoot.com

Looking forward to seeing you about the forums goodjob
Thank you, I'm definitely curious about the bushmoot and will check out Forest Knights too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE