Food You Love To Have Along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
PG,

I have a hand mill that I take on extended trips - there is something delightful about the thought of making coffee with the back of an axe though - may just have to try that one!!

Laphroaig is also an Islay malt! Its that peaty iodine tang that works so well outdoors I think. I agree though, it not about getting drunk or anything like it, just a moment of real pleasure. On the link below is a list of Islay Malts, some photos and a map of the island - thought it might interest you!

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/islay/distilleries/index.html

$60 is absurd - when you run out of Laphroaig, send me a mail and I'll send you over a replacement Islay gratis (something diffeent for variety). Kinda like the idea of Islay malt being drunk in the states by a guy called Pierre(sorry guys thats not a general invite for free Bunnahabhain :nana: )!

Red

Well, the back of the axe idea is not foolproof. Really does a number on the sock. If you have a handmill - I'd stick with it. I found a beautiful brass one (it was a pepper mill, but I think it would work for coffee) for $40 while shopping with the Mrs - bad idea. She put up such a stink I never got it.

As to the single malt - you're on. Mine has disappeared (one of my older sons, I believe- with no idea what he was drinking). What can I come up with locally that would interest you for a quid pro quo?

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
One thing I like to make on the trail is fry bread. If you've had enough bacon, save the grease and use to deep fry the bread. The bread is made with flour, water, salt and baking powder. You can mix the dough with bacon chunks, blueberries, lambsquarter, or just sprinkle sugar and cinammon on it. Very good.

PG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
Well, the back of the axe idea is not foolproof. Really does a number on the sock. If you have a handmill - I'd stick with it. I found a beautiful brass one (it was a pepper mill, but I think it would work for coffee) for $40 while shopping with the Mrs - bad idea. She put up such a stink I never got it.

As to the single malt - you're on. Mine has disappeared (one of my older sons, I believe- with no idea what he was drinking). What can I come up with locally that would interest you for a quid pro quo?

PG

Pierre,

No quid pro quo necessary mate - it was a genuine offer. May be a week or two before I can get to the whisky shop though! If you feel the need for a barter, you could do me a favour rather than a trade - my coffee pot has about had it, and I can't get a decent all metal replacement perculator. I seem to remember Coleman or someone like it did an enamel perculator a while abck (sort of 8 cup size). DO you know if they are still available? If so and I sent you the money, could you get me one and post it over?

Anyway, send me your address and I'll sort out the whisky!

Red

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
No jon the secret is to add a tablespoon of sunflower oil when making the batter. 100gms plain flour 270 mls milk two eggs and the oil.
Dave.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tor,

I've been al around Sainsbury's (supermarket), they seem to be right out of lightly salted moose meat :lmao: . So before you tell me you dried and salted your own, I set up a really good hide up the deer tower and waited for hours. We seem to be low on moose in Hampshire :lmao: I'll have to make do with Roe deer :sulkoff: . What calibre does a moose need anyway? Heaviest I've got is .303 British (or .308 Winchester) - suspect you use something heavier than that?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nemisis said:
No jon the secret is to add a tablespoon of sunflower oil when making the batter. 100gms plain flour 270 mls milk two eggs and the oil.
Dave.

Thanks for that Dave, I will try it............Jon

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Normally, I absolutely hate swet things such as cakes and puddings, and I can't remember the last time I ate chocolate at home, but as you'll all know tastes change when you've been on the trail for a week, and one thing I ALWAYS make sure I have when winter backpacking is some cadburys hot chocolate and some rum to put in it. It seems to bring on a feeling of 'So what if I'm in Scotland and the rain is coming under my tarp sideways......' Sheer bliss. :D

Definately Bacon. Plus, if you fancy a Curry, then add some curry powder to a can of Heinz big soup, (vegetable ) and throw in some meat if you wish. I also make some Irish Potato Bread by using either fresh mashed potato (or the old stand-by , Smash) plain flour, butter or oil, then mix it all together flatten it , cut it into segments and fry it. (In the left over Bacon fat) I have also made Soda and Wheaten bread (A bit like a Bannok) By combining plain flour (for soda bread) ot wholemeal flour (for wheaten bread) with some baking soda, a little sugar, a pinch of salt and the magic ingredient, buttermilk. (I have used re-constituted milk powder with some butter mixed into it before) mix it all together, flatten it out to about 1 inch thich, and then cut it into segments and fly it in a little butter or oil. Add some sausages, a fried egg, bacon, and potato bread, and you have an "Ulster Fry". Serious stuff, and you won't have to eat again until supper time.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
Tor,

I've been al around Sainsbury's (supermarket), they seem to be right out of lightly salted moose meat :lmao: . So before you tell me you dried and salted your own, I set up a really good hide up the deer tower and waited for hours. We seem to be low on moose in Hampshire :lmao: I'll have to make do with Roe deer :sulkoff: . What calibre does a moose need anyway? Heaviest I've got is .303 British (or .308 Winchester) - suspect you use something heavier than that?

Red

Those calibers should be plenty sufficient. My grandfather used a 30-30 exclusively, and I've used 30-30 as well (though I usually use a 30-06). Grandfather used to say, " You need a hotter bullet for a deer than you do for a moose. Moose can't run on three legs - deer can."

PG

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
pierre girard said:
Those calibers should be plenty sufficient. My grandfather used a 30-30 exclusively, and I've used 30-30 as well (though I usually use a 30-06). Grandfather used to say, " You need a hotter bullet for a deer than you do for a moose. Moose can't run on three legs - deer can."

PG

Moose can run on three legs, no matter what your grandad said, trust me :) .
That said I use 30-06 on the moose. Plenty of power. Most of those I hunt with also use 30-06.

Tor

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Tor helge said:
Moose can run on three legs, no matter what your grandad said, trust me :) .
That said I use 30-06 on the moose. Plenty of power. Most of those I hunt with also use 30-06.

Tor

Well, I'm sure there are exceptions to any rule. :) Like most hunting - depends on shot placement.

PG

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Shewie said:
Black pudding - isn`t that just a big scab - I didn`t think people still ate that stuff ???

Scabs, the new survival food. 8/10 Bushcrafters (who expressed a preference) prefer them....

...when the alternative is eating slugs
barf.gif

I love black pud :D

Greywolf

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
bikething said:
how many scabs' you tried then ?? :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

declining to answer that one.

Wayland Well if you call black pudding a scab what do you call white pudding?

A yummy white scab preferably all the way from Ireland

Mr Strop

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE