How do warm blooded people cope

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Caribou is very slippery. Not good if you are on a slope. Also, it sheds hair more than sheep or alpaca hide. I can’t afford it myself so can’t answer for warmth.

Reactions: Ozmundo

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When I first started out on motorcycles I had a WWII flying jacket handed down by my dad, don't know where he got it from but he was a miner in the war, not a flyer. It was lined with sheepskin and it was really, really warm for my first couple of months on the bike (I started riding on the roads in Derbyshire in February 1969, when there was six inches of snow everywhere) but it was terrible if it got wet. It stank, and it took ages to dry. One weekend I went to a party a couple of miles from my home and when it was time to leave I found that somebody had stolen it. Never saw it again. I replaced it with a police mac from the army surplus, I think it cost ten shillings. It was absolutely waterproof and what it lacked in insulation I could compensate for with another jumper or two.

Last time I saw JonathanD of this parish he had a reindeer pelt with him. Only time I've ever touched anything reindeer. It was absolutely gorgeous, it made me want to run my fingers over it all night. Like my German shepherd cross only more so. I could tell how warm it would have kept the animal when it was wearing it.

But it must have been a small one, it wasn't anything like big enough to wrap around me, and I'm on the skinny side.

The thing that would bother me is how long it would last. A while back I bought the SO a fur coat. Going out in winter she wore it all the time. Whenever she sat in an armchair or anything like that if she was wearing it there were always quite a few hairs left on the upholstery when she got up, but it got worse and worse and after a few years it started to moult big time. That left some unsightly balding patches. I think in the end we used it for baggywrinkles. There would probably be ways to treat it to make it last better, but then you have to worry about moths and that sort of thing too.

I think a synthetic product will be more durable, it will be easier to care for, there'll be a lot more choice, and it's likely to be cheaper to replace it when the time comes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Reindeer hide is a fantastic insulator due to the hollow hairs but the cheaper ones do shed hair. I am told, but can't vouch for the accuracy, that it depends on the season the animal is culled. I have two and as an underblanket they are superb.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Thank you for the info. I shall do some research on quality of hides. They pop up for £120+ but I assume that these may nor be the best.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If you want to go the hide route then I suggest get yourself a 3/4 length sheepskin before you commit to something more exotic. If you can get hold of a Herdwick hide, they are said to be the best. I’ve got a Welsh black that works very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE