I could eat a bowl of soup every day, how about you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like my soup chunky.

Start with a nice vegetable soup , leave it in the tin for a moment.

Take a deep bowl , now add some ice , 4/5 big chunks - pour some dark spiced Rum in , follow that with a nice coke - about half a can.

Put the can of veg soup back in the cupboard at the back in the dark.

enjoy!!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Just thought it was a thread worth resurrecting.
A mug of lovely mushroom soup for me this time...

52507758181_20a80a3cdd_z.jpg

Reactions: zornt

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Here we use pearl barley in soups, it’s de-husked and soaks up all the flavour of a good broth soup., It’s a good starch, by no means as nutritious as Quinoa, but a good basic ingredient. Like potatoes, doesn’t pretend to be much other than carbs. I totally agree with you on rice = insipid, it’s not a soup ingredient, it has a realm of its own as a sponge for powerful spicy dishes.

Here‘s a question. Does a soup need to have at least some of the ingredients cooked? I’ve had a type of Gazpacho that was pretty much a sieved blender thing made with raw tomatoes, garlic, a light stock, fresh herbs, with some of the pulp pushed through the sieve. Really lovely cold “soup”. I think the onion was softened in a pan but that was it.

In answer to our man Zornt, yes indeed, a soup a day. :)
The main idea of rice in soup is as a thickener, not for flavour, it does that well, eg in carrot soup.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The main idea of rice in soup is as a thickener, not for flavour, it does that well, eg in carrot soup.

I've found a small amount of creamed rice can work extremely well with Bushcrafty foraged veg to provide body substance and a creamy silky feel.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I've found a small amount of creamed rice can work extremely well with Bushcrafty foraged veg to provide body substance and a creamy silky feel.
Exactly, it gives a body and a pleasant mouth feel, its worth putting in any soup which can be a bit watery, so no need in say curried swede and lentil, but fresh pea or carrot or celery can benefit from it.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I like a nice, watery, broth.
Lots of flavour, yes, but I like my soup thin rather than thick.
That's the wonderful thing about soup - lots of different flavours, lots of different styles.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
For soups I use a few extra very low salt stock cubes and tiny bits of potatoes that will boil to the point of dissolving by the time the rest is ready. For stews I use some smash to thicken it up. For some types of stew, a bit of onion gravy powder works well too.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I keep my tiny slow cooker going each day with adding a few bits and bobs to what's left after I've eaten my fill, some days it's a stew, and some days more soup like. A few days ago I started a chorizo and tomato stew, which was lovely and warming with lots of paprika, now it's more soup like tonight with extra carrot mushroom the last few purple tipi beans, and even a couple of chopped up pickled onions added. ( I couldn't be bothered to do another whole onion,as the ones I have are rather on the large side.)
Some veg gravy granuals , and another potato, and it's very filling.
All gone now, so will start a leek and potato soup in it tomorrow, and see what surprises I come up with when I add more stuff to it.
My favourite soup is cauliflower cheese soup. Discoverd this when I was making something for a bring and share, and made it too sloppy, short of time, I liquidised it with a bit more milk and water and called it soup. Served it with sliced garlic bread "croutons" Nobody realised that I'd messed up.
Phew!

Reactions: swyn and zornt

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I do like soups, I just don't invest enough time in making them, we had a large quantity of squashes this year so we had a lot of squash soup, that was tasty.

I like spicy soups, thick soups and nice bread with them!

Not sure I could do every day though, maybe every other!!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I do like soups, I just don't invest enough time in making them, we had a large quantity of squashes this year so we had a lot of squash soup, that was tasty.

I like spicy soups, thick soups and nice bread with them!

Not sure I could do every day though, maybe every other!!
Fresh home made sourdough bread. Yaaaay!
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE