First Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Thanks for all the advice folks. :beerchug:

Think I’ll look for an Air Gun club near me to see what best suits. I think air guns I’m used to in day gone by where somewhat different back then the BSA Meteor was the best and you had side lever rifles and only .177 or .22 to choose.

But without starting the whole .177 or .22 debate for a target weapon I presume .177 is better since it's lighter so should hold more power and fly true more than a .22 which will be slower and have more stopping power being bigger and heavier?

Very broadly, yes. I strongly suggest you to ignore the calibre issue in favour of finding a comfortable gun though, which will more or less make or break the whole process.

You can be successful (or not) regardless of calibre.

In brief: I tend not to use .177 when shooting feral pigeons and rats in farm building because at shorter ranges the pellet can pass clean through and cause property damage. Using flat or hollow point pellets goes a long way to address this but with .22 the problem is further reduced.

Conversely if I want to do longer range pinpoint shooting in fairly still conditions I always pick my .177 gun up.

Where you hit is more important than the calibre you use, but there are scenarios where one has definite advantages over the other yet neither outshoots the other in all circumstances.

Put your pellet in the kill zone and the calibre is completely academic.

.177 is flatter and requires less compensation at different ranges.

.22 has a bigger trajectory and requires much more accurate range estimation coupled with the right amount of offset for that range.

.177 is therefore easier to be very accurate with. Take a look at any of the published results tables for Hunter Field Target competitions for an idea of who is shooting what. Some of the folks attending these events have serious kit but many have modest equipment and do well because they know how to use it.

Retained energy is what matters at point of impact, assuming you get your shot placement right.

As I said previously, some new .22 pellets have recently come to market that offer much flatter trajectory than normal for that calibre. This could be a way forward for some people since it takes a lot of the several inches of trajectory you would normally be playing with out of the mix, but let's not over egg the pudding just yet.

Find a comfy gun within budget and practice with it in all stances until you can knock nails in. If you can do that and get close to a rabbit or pigeon then any calibre will take care of business, as long as you take care of yours.

As my uncle used to drill into me when I was a kid learning to shoot - "a hole in the head means dead"

Last edited:

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Prices are only ok depending on condition and a 4 x 32 scope isn't really ideal.

Keep in mind that both of those guns are heavy and part of the brief was lighter weight.

Go to a club or shop and shoulder some guns and then start looking at what to buy. You might find that either of the above might suit, or neither, but it's better to find out without spending any money in the process if you can arrange it.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just come back from http://www.carptrading.com/shooting/acatalog/

Really nice gunsmith who makes his own smoked foods including smoked squirrel.
Unfortunately he had already sold the TX200 for £250 but had others at a higher price and picked up the TX200SR and TX200HC he would of let me shoot them but since they where out of my price range i didnt want to risk it incase i had a involentary use of the debit card. But I did pick up a Theoben Fenman .177 which I liked a lot but sadly well out of my price range at £365 untill I sell my airsoft guns.

So ended up buying lots of smoked food and talked guns for a hour or so. But well worth the visit.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just been offered an Air Arms TX200HC with scope and pellets in .177 for £220. Sounds like good deal since I did find the shorter rifles felt more comfy and for that price if it's in good condition it would be foolhardy to turn it down. Just have to get myself a shooting stick for hunting to help with the weight :lmao:

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
The Fenman really is a work of art. Stunning performance and tremendous handling.

Have you tried the BSA Supersport ?

Not in the same league as a Fenman but light, great balance, cheap to buy new and they are great performers. Weihrauch HW99S is another great gun of similar overall dimensions with a great trigger and a similar price.

Keep looking until you find something that fits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE