First Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
Sorry if this isnt in the right bit guys, but I thought it's time to buy my first ever air rifle.

I'm a very average shot, I've used friends and used Shotguns before, and all I know is...I'm a big wuss and like something light.

It's only going to be for targets mind, so it doesn't have to be immensely powerful, and anywhere up to, 200 quid ish.

Any recommendations people?

Thanks in advance

Russ

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
If you just want it for targets and you want something really light have you thought about a Crosman Ratchatcher or Rabbitstopper or the QB 78s? IMHO they are very under-rated and if you want to do a bit of tweaking they can be made into very good guns. Ok they aren't so briliant in the winter, but for low cost, recoilless and no expensive charging gear......

Some the top range chinese springers are also very good and fairly light if you prefer a springer......

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
I wouldnt really advise a chinese rifle for a first rifle as they do require tinkering etc and Im still not convinced on the quality of chinese springers (but that is a complete different matter and would be happy to be proven wrong) If you could add to your budget a bit I would reccommend an Air Arms s200, they are excellent rifles, light and very accurate. Air arms spring rifles are excellent but not light although a tx200hc is well balanced so may suit you. Im sure someone can give you more info on other makes but Air Arms are all I really know.

Ruvio

Nomad
Ok, thanks for the advice everyone :)
I'm going for a look at the local shop tomorrow and I've taken the advice to heart. I'm thinking an Air Arms would be ok, I seem to have grown quite a lot of muscle mass by accident, so I can deal with the extra weight ok (I sound like such a wuss) :p

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Sorry for the thread revival but I’m considering selling my Airsoft guns to fund a proper Spring air rifle that will be up to the limit so powerful enough for hunting without maiming but also could double up for competition tunnel range target shooting. I’m probably looking for the whole set up under £400 since think that’s all I’ll get for my other guns. Also has to be easy to cock left handed since my right shoulder isn’t very strong after a bike accident a few years back.

Also I presume brake barrel rifles are less accurate than under or side lever?

Recoil and weight are not an issue since used to firing full bore many years ago.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
you want a weihrauch HW97. or you could look for an older gun, like a BSA Airsporter (mine does 10.8 ftlb) or a weihrauch HW57 (mine does 11.8 ftlb, and cos tme £30)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sorry for the thread revival but I’m considering selling my Airsoft guns to fund a proper Spring air rifle that will be up to the limit so powerful enough for hunting without maiming but also could double up for competition tunnel range target shooting. I’m probably looking for the whole set up under £400 since think that’s all I’ll get for my other guns. Also has to be easy to cock left handed since my right shoulder isn’t very strong after a bike accident a few years back.

Also I presume brake barrel rifles are less accurate than under or side lever?

Recoil and weight are not an issue since used to firing full bore many years ago.

See the link in post number 2.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Can you start with a lower power rifle and just change the spring to make it up to 12lbs? Or are they built to certain power tolerance?

Also brake barrel seem cheaper. I presume there less accurate?

Also who makes smk since they seem cheap?

Last edited:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Can you start with a lower power rifle and just change the spring to make it up to 12lbs? Or are they built to certain power tolerance?

Also brake barrel seem cheaper. I presume there less accurate?

Most airgun manufacturers make the guns to approx 12f/lb, they aren't allowed over this (obviously) so make it as close as. (they can't make a gun exactly 12f/lb because different pellet weights effect the velocity. Lighter pellets go faster)

As for getting a gun that shoots, 9f/lb say, then changing the spring, you may as well just get a full power gun. You won't know the difference when firing, and for the sake of being humane wouldn't recommend hunting with a sub 10.5 f/lb gun.

Break barrel rifles that are well made can be just as accurate as a fixed barrel rifle, but wear in the joints may start to become apparent after some time (many years most likely. I started shooting with a break barrel gun that was 35 years old and still fine!!).
An underlever takes the uncertainty out of the equation, but is heavier.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Don’t worry I would never hunt with a weapon that couldn’t give a humane clean kill.

To be honest I expect it will mainly be used for target shooting but if I do get more into bushcraft I may try a bit of hunting so it would need to be at least 12ft/lb. I was just under the impression that the break barrels would be off aim by a few mm every time you broke them to reload.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Air arms tx200 hunter carbine, the best springer out there for the money (in many hunters opinions!) as it's light weight, highly accurate, little recoil and has a smooth cocking mechanism. Weihrauch are great too..but very heavy so not suited for those who don't like hefty guns. Or go for pneomatic/gas powered, but as a starter rifle I'd deffinately reccomend a springer!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Don’t worry I would never hunt with a weapon that couldn’t give a humane clean kill.

To be honest I expect it will mainly be used for target shooting but if I do get more into bushcraft I may try a bit of hunting so it would need to be at least 12ft/lb. I was just under the impression that the break barrels would be off aim by a few mm every time you broke them to reload.

The legal limit is 12ft/lb and most rifles are around 10-11 unless you go for a cheap one that'll be about 6-8, and break barrels are accurate but not as accurate as under lever or gas due to barrels not being moved during loading. I've used break barrels and pneomatics and can say aslong as you practice your shooting you'll just as much with a break barrel.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
.... and break barrels are accurate but not as accurate as under lever or gas due to barrels not being moved during loading. I've used break barrels and pneomatics and can say aslong as you practice your shooting you'll just as much with a break barrel.

that's more of a myth these days. Break barrels are just as accurate as underlevers, however wear and tear takes its toll.

The tx200 is hardly light weight. it weighs in at around 8lbs which is heavier than most. It is this fact which puts off a lot of buyers. - However it is well balanced.

Andy

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Must admit reading a few reviews the TX200 seems the air gun holy grail but they come in around £300 2nd hand which is a bit pricy for my first gun.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that's more of a myth these days. Break barrels are just as accurate as underlevers, however wear and tear takes its toll.

The tx200 is hardly light weight. it weighs in at around 8lbs which is heavier than most. It is this fact which puts off a lot of buyers. - However it is well balanced.

Andy

The 'hunter carbine' weighs that much? Still, if you're you want a serious bit of kit then go for the tx200hc. I know money is always a factor but you will enjoy it for many years and get some great results if you were to try competeing!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Must admit reading a few reviews the TX200 seems the air gun holy grail but they come in around £300 2nd hand which is a bit pricy for my first gun.

Be patient and trawl the airgunbbs.com sales forum. - Quite a few bargains to be had on there occasionally!

Andy

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I'm 6' 4" and 220 pounds (ish ;) ) and I prefer lighter guns by a country mile.

My current favourite and mainstay is a Venom Stage 1 Lazaglide Weihrauch HW95K break barrel in .177

Even an off the peg Weihrauch HW95K is a stunning bit of engineering - they have superb trigger units, they are bullet proof (no pun intended) and mine has had thousands upon thousands of shots through it and it is incredibly consistent and easy to handle.

I have far more expensive and supposedly 'better' guns but this is the one I reach for again and again above the others. A mate of mine recently bought a Weihrauch HW99S which is another great lightweight contender.

Air Arms are superbly engineered but I got rid of mine purely because of the weight. I do a lot of miles when shooting and I don't much enjoy lugging a heavy gun around with me, especially after a successful session where I might have to make two or three trips back to collect all the rabbits.

Find a club or, at the very least, a shop in your area and go and try some guns out, even if you only get to shoulder them. Often you will go in with your heart set on one product only to completely change your mind once you shoulder a gun that is particularly comfortable.

Keep in mind that some of your budget should go towards a scope at some point, although it is feasible to buy a gun and learn to shoot and hunt using the open sights - often this is a good way forward because your effective range will be less than with a scope and so your fieldcraft has to be well above average to get within range. It's a useful part of the learning curve.

Guns change hands often and there is usually no shortage, but stay well clear of anything where the stock bolt heads show signs of chewed up slots where folks have done a sloppy DIY strip. Guns that have been taken apart with no regard for using the right tool are unlikely to have had their inner working treated any better, so look for witness marks on the stock bolt heads and use their overall condition as a starting point to indicate whether you should bother to look more closely at the rest of the gun.

You don't have to spend fortunes to get great results but you do have to spend the time to get the best from your kit. Even modest gear can normally outperform the talents of the person shooting it, so don't focus on a particular brand too hard - concentrate more on that vital 'click' when you shoulder the gun. Bottom line - if it feels comfortable when you shoulder it you're going to be a better shot with that gun.

Putting the time into learning your fieldcraft and stalking, practising shooting in various conditions and in different positions (prone, kneeling, standing, shooting up or downhill, into, with and across the wind and so on) are what makes you a successful hunter. A decent gun helps, but if you get the fieldcraft and technique wrong it really doesn't matter how much you spent on your gun or what brand it is...

Finally, I'm not going to get into a debate on calibres other than to say don't get too hung up on it. Hitting what you aim at is more important than the calibre you use so if you find a gun you are comfortable with and the power has been tested to be comfortably within the legal limit, go with it. Both mainstream calibres have various merits and they also have failings - if you go for a .22 you could do worse than check out some of the latest pellets to be released which fly a lot flatter than normal. You pay more for them but they offer a more level and predictable flight trajectory and reduce the amount of hold over/under required at long/short range. If you buy .177 you can almost aim dead on at anything from 15 to 35 yards and you won't be more than an inch out anywhere in between. Both can do the business, but only if you take care of yours.

I wish you the very best of luck - airgun hunting is a lot of fun and offers challenges that set it well apart from most other forms of hunting.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for all the advice folks. :beerchug:

Think I’ll look for an Air Gun club near me to see what best suits. I think air guns I’m used to in day gone by where somewhat different back then the BSA Meteor was the best and you had side lever rifles and only .177 or .22 to choose.

But without starting the whole .177 or .22 debate for a target weapon I presume .177 is better since it's lighter so should hold more power and fly true more than a .22 which will be slower and have more stopping power being bigger and heavier?

Edit: I have now put a couple of posts on airgunbbs.com asking for local clubs. Unfortunately I need to have a higher post count before I can see the for sale threads.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE