Cheap Air Rifle To Start Off With

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Following on from TeeDee's post regarding pistols and Broch's advice to start a new thread, I'm interested in an air rifle but not expensive to start out on plinking. We do have a good angler/gun shop quite locally but too expensive for my tastes. Any suggestions? Looking at around under the 200 mark perhaps lower if there's one available. Possibly with a cheap scope as well or am I blowing in the wind here at that price.

Reactions: Ystranc

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You can pick up a tidy springer for under £200.

Have a browse through https://www.gunstar.co.uk/ for an idea.

I have probably shot more squirrel with my old BSA Supersport than any of my other guns - springers are perfectly fine for plinking and pest shooting. Charlie Portlock's book 'How to Shoot Spring Rifles' (£1.99 on kindle) is a useful tutorial if you're a beginner.

Reactions: StevieE

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Personally I'd go for a Cometa. I have a 13 year old Cometa 220 which is a little rough around the edges but shoots as accurately as anything else I own (5 Weihrauchs and an Air Arms). It's also dead easy to work on. Newer versions are more refined and you might want to go for the 300 or 400 since they are more powerful.

Generally I get the impression that the budget end of the market is pretty reasonable but I can't really comment on brands that I've never used.

As for scopes, my favourite is a 6x40AO Mountmaster which is pretty cheap scope but everything I need and nothing I don't. More money will get you more scope but large objective lenses = more weight and huge zoom magnifications are just unnecessary.

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
Personally I would advise Waiting for a good deal or spend a little bit more on a Weihrauch, you won’t need to upgrade in the future just get a tuning kit at some point. Plus they will always sell back on easily if you decide it’s not for you.

Good luck on your search, hope your plinking soon!

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
A cheap springer will not give you the right concept of plinking etc
Hard to cock ,twangy recoil etc
Look for a HW99s or hw35 secondhand or a old bsa not the later ones .
Avoid c02 as they are to inconsistent ,
Also cheap scopes are bit like cheap air rifles personally I prefer open sights to a cheap scope.

Elsenham 177

Forager
Dec 23, 2020
Essex
It's a new entry level spring powered rifle fron bsa using the old hornet name. Should be similar to the super sport ,comet and metor models. Good as a stater gun.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It looks like the £120 is standard on this synthetic stock gun. It also says it's a BSA barrel - whatever that means these days.

1681232950725.png

BSA Hornet Break Barrel Air Rifle​

£120.00

Weight: 2.50 KGS

DESCRIPTION​

Full power, hunting standard accuracy, fast handling and a choice of sighting systems all come as standard with the new BSA Hornet, along with a whole range of exciting features. These include hi-visibility, fibre-optic enhanced open sights, that allow instant target acquisition in virtually any lighting conditions. Fitted with a top-specification BSA barrel, scope mounting grooves and fully backed by our guarantee of quality, this lightweight, affordable sporter is set to become a star in its own right.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION​

Break Barrel: Break Barrel
22 Calibre: 22 calibre
Manual safety: Manual Safety
Synthetic Stock: Synthetic Stock
Full Power: Full Power

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
As far as I understand it all the BSA spring powered air rifles are now made in Spain at their parent company’s factory and share parts and design in common with Gamo air rifles. The PCP rifles are made with parts from both sites but still assembled in Birmingham (UK) from mainly UK manufacturing.

I have had one of those Gamo springers before and it was actually ok, it came with telescopic sight and gun bag bundle under £100
One of the methods used by the manufacturer to reduce power for the UK market is to drill a tiny hole right through the piston. Easy to fix by removing the piston and filling the hole by tapping it and adding a grub screw giving you approximately 17 f/Lbs muzzle energy. Some of their rifles marketed as gas ram do not get the gas ram when manufactured for the UK market, no idea why. Check before you buy.

Reactions: Kadushu and StevieE

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Thanks Ystranc. Non padded case from the same shop comes in at 15 quid. Dont know anything about scopes but my eyesight has deteriorated in the last couple of years so dont know if I should invest in one.

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE