Drilling along length of wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd like to try making some wooden flutes - I've made one before from plumbing pipe, but aesthetically it isn't great.

What is the best sort of drillbit for drilling along the length of the wood? A standard, but overlong, auger bit?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
have a look in woodturning suppliers for spoon/shell bits, they are used to drill the hole up lamps for the power cable ;) I know a chap who makes native american flutes and he just saws the wood in two and carves a groove down the middle; I suspect he reams the bore smooth after re-gluing

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's an idea, Dave. Would make it easier to do a tapered bore as well. The glue would need to cope with significant amount of moisture though.

Accuracy would be really important. Needs a wall thickness of sub-3mm to be decent. I was thinking of drilling the hole then reducing the outside carefully with knife and sandpaper.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can you not find a suitable bit of elder with the right specs? Then its just a pith.

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
have a look in woodturning suppliers for spoon/shell bits, they are used to drill the hole up lamps for the power cable ;) I know a chap who makes native american flutes and he just saws the wood in two and carves a groove down the middle; I suspect he reams the bore smooth after re-gluing
if you have a router you could get one of these to groove the two half's of wood ATB Phil. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-Mou...t=UK_Home_Power_Air_Tools&hash=item51ae013062

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Sounds like you need a wood turner or access to a lathe
Dave's right you can then drill using a spoon bit and create a one piece flute or put a nice finish on two piece design also it's much easier to turn the external diameter down to 3mm wall thickness than to try and bore out the internal diameter
Like to see the finished item

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Twist together two or three strands of stiff-ish garden wire and put it in an electric drill, start a small pilot hole and drill slow feeding in the wire. You can drill long pipe stems like this no problem, once you start the pilot hole it goes really smoothly.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
No access to lathe, router or wood turner.

The spoon bits I've found online are a bit short - I'd need 300mm or more.

Will have a got at splitting, hollowing and gluing. Got plenty of hazel rods from a friends so will see how those work out.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
You need a nose auger/bit sometimes called a shell auger/bit, but they are actually different bits. A nose auger is the only bit not to wander especially for the purpose you have in mind. There is a type of spoon auger that might work but you would not be able to buy one now days. It would be only have one cutting edge. Wood turners still use a nose auger/ bit and are available. All wood turning books etc explain how to bore with one through the tail stock although there is still confusion between a names. Toolpost sell one as a shell auger but I have not seen one. ( will buy one now I have just found it on google looking for nose auger.) A shell auger/bit is the easiest drill to make. I remember seeing an article on the net somewhere I will try and find it for you although the bloke actually makes a shell auger/bit. I have friends who make flutes commercially but they cut the wood in two , router it then glue it back together. I am lucky enough to have research grants to study drills. I can make one if you get desperate but as I said it's not hard to make either a shell auger/bit by filing or a nose auger/bit by filing then forging Good luck.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A lathe and shell auger would be my preference. Might be worth looking for a wood turning club, someone will have the tools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE