Double Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2007
Me and the beloved tried out my double hammock for the first time on Saturday night.

We're both of the opinion that it's incredibly comfy. When you're alone in it.
When we both got in, it was like some form of medieval torture. In the end, the comfiest way we found was to sleep head to toe, but even that was pretty awful.

So... is there a way to make this work, or is the name "double hammock" a bit of a misnomer?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have heard about this and places that sell double hammocks without spreader bars often say you will be squeezed together... is this why it was bad?

May 24, 2007
Matt - sadly we're not short enough for that to work.

Squidders - yup, we were basically rolled together, so all the sharp pointy bits of the body were sticking into us. also this meant that our knees were locked out straight, which is an awful thing after a while. I'm not sure how I could fit spreader bars without putting too much pressure on the fabric at that point.

I may just get a second hammock and sling them side by side. has anyone tried this?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
When i'm out with my girlfriend during the warmer months, we sleep in 2 hammocks side by side under the same tarp.

It's very comfy... all you need is either 3 trees, 2 of which should be fairly close together so you sleep at a very slight angle from one another or 2 fat trees where you can hang the hammocks either side of it.

We're off out again soon so I can take some photos if that helps?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The double hammock thing is a description of the size rather than a recommendation to try it. They are comfey if you are sitting in them side by side like in a swing, but for sleeping, you need two. I bought one from Paradise Hammocks then had to buy another as I found it was great on my own but no chance with the wife wriggling around and shoving her elbows into me.

Eric

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
I've just bought a Paradise Hammock (after reading Erik's recommendations) and was under the impression that the word 'double' referred to seating and also to the weight limit.

I got it because I can't sleep on my back (in a bed anyway, so I'm assuming not in a hammock either). So I need the extra room to sleep diagonally.

All this is entirely theoretical until I can test it out at Delamere this weekend. My wall and tree combo turned out not to be far enough apart for the paradise :(

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Me and my girlfriend slept in the magikelly groupbuy hammock several times together. Even she found it very comfy, so it's a succes! We just lay besides each other. i had my feet going somewhere else then she had though, maybe 50 cm to the left.. so I had my own "pocket" for my feet and legs). We're not too thin (not fat either) so we didn't feel our bones touching ;). She had her head a bit on my chest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE