defender heating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Change a couple of hoses on either side of the radiator and install some micro-bore copper tubing, then run it around the inside of your vehicle making sure you put a couple of airvents in at highpoints and add the anti-freeze to the system, I saw this done a fair few years ago and it was very efficient.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Change a couple of hoses on either side of the radiator and install some micro-bore copper tubing, then run it around the inside of your vehicle making sure you put a couple of airvents in at highpoints and add the anti-freeze to the system, I saw this done a fair few years ago and it was very efficient.

had this thought a few days ago but using a( pipe with a lot of fins on )like you see on an air conditioning unit ?? can,t find an image :rolleyes: placed under the rear seat should help a bit !!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You could probably get one the full width as well, add a TRV and you have some conmtrol over it as well

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
living in florida it would be too warm to use it anyway :lmao: Its not bad ! it,s just a heater matrix that relies on the engine water temp to provide heat .........just takes a bit of time for the diesel engine to warm up in `our` winter,s!!:rolleyes:

Actually here (in the panhandle) it gets down into the teens (Fahrenheit) Or in other words about more than -20 Celcius. Just doesn't stay that cold for more than a week or so at a time. On the other hand it gets precariously close to 100 in the Summer (sometimes over 100)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Seems like landies are being used by some nesh people these days! I can remember when door tops were optional extras.

How bad is landy chassis rustproofing? Compare a 20 year old landy to a 20 year old car of similar cost, one can be repaired economically, one can't.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seems like landies are being used by some nesh people these days! I can remember when door tops were optional extras.

How bad is landy chassis rustproofing? Compare a 20 year old landy to a 20 year old car of similar cost, one can be repaired economically, one can't.

Compare the rust on a three year old Landrover - and that on a three year old Toyota.

There is just no excuse for poor quality manufacturing on a chassis these days. But Landrover continue to roll really, really shoddy manufacturing off the line. I drove them for year - but I became heartily sick of the dreadful quality control. I have no problem with a basic utility specification - so long as it comes at a basic utility price. But when its priced higher and made to a lower standard than its competitors, it becomes a mugs game - or a hobby car for people who like to tinker. No problem with hobby cars, I just have more interesting things to do with my time.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Compare the rust on a three year old Landrover - and that on a three year old Toyota.

There is just no excuse for poor quality manufacturing on a chassis these days. But Landrover continue to roll really, really shoddy manufacturing off the line. I drove them for year - but I became heartily sick of the dreadful quality control. I have no problem with a basic utility specification - so long as it comes at a basic utility price. But when its priced higher and made to a lower standard than its competitors, it becomes a mugs game - or a hobby car for people who like to tinker. No problem with hobby cars, I just have more interesting things to do with my time.

I have to agree with that, even though I hate to. You're reading the words of someone here who still buys Made In Britain where he can, so I'm far, far from a Landy hater.

I've seen them ready for the first MOT needing welding. I've also seen Toyotas that have had the same mud and field time manage a decade without needing the plasma and the MIG.

Land Rover, sort yourselves out. You ask premium money for your product, but in terms of value for what you get, well, :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Exactly that. I want, really really want, to buy another Landrover. When they sort themselves out, I will. But I do not expect to drop upwards of twenty grand on a car that is rusty when delivered (brand new). Its not like they have to do anything that maligned Landy drivers haven't been doing for years (like galvanised chassis and Waxoyl). But they don't.

Until they do, I won't buy another one.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Jeez I must be really really lucky , my current 90 is 14 years old . its towed and launched boats all over Ireland and the only thing I've had to do with it is put a new clutch in it .. and thats launching boats in saltwater . not the friendliest environment

Andy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My Ssangyong Musso is fully galvanised (body and chassis), 12 years old and 165,000 miles on the clock. What is this "rust" you speak of?:)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
My 55 plate 110 had its first `post` factory underseal put on last year -the chassis was in very good condition - a few little spots but nothing major - The only niggle i have about the build quality is the gaps round the rear doors are not the same size !! Maybe its because i,m a carpenter , but i know if i hung a door like that .....i would not get paid for it !!!:eek: :lmao:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My Ssangyong Musso is fully galvanised (body and chassis), 12 years old and 165,000 miles on the clock. What is this "rust" you speak of?:)

Oh - and did I mention that the seats fold down really easily into two, 7ft long beds (which even my camping-hating Mrs managed 7 hours unbroken sleep on one hight!) Or that the engine/transmission etc is ex-Mercedes Benz 2.9 turbo-diesel? Or that you can pick up a decent one for a grand or significantly less, with great club support? That there's a huge boot, and the front seats are really comfy, and plently of space in the back seats too.

.....not that I'm biased, of course:)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Oh - and did I mention that the seats fold down really easily into two, 7ft long beds (which even my camping-hating Mrs managed 7 hours unbroken sleep on one hight!) Or that the engine/transmission etc is ex-Mercedes Benz 2.9 turbo-diesel? Or that you can pick up a decent one for a grand or significantly less, with great club support? That there's a huge boot, and the front seats are really comfy, and plently of space in the back seats too.

.....not that I'm biased, of course:)

whats the road tax like ?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
70% of all landrovers built are still being used, and if you build the perfect car you sell one car, if you build a bit of a rust problem in you get to charge for repairs:rolleyes:

Chinese have been doing it for years, build shoddy sell multiples, built quality sell once.

What are the current rules in Japan with importing foreign cars for priamry sales market, IIRC they don't, after three years or so theyt ship out their old stuff and buy new, but generally their own.

I am sure that someone will come in and correct my ramblings though.

Just hope that they don't recall all those foreign cars again, how many recalls have Toyota had in recent years for faulty brakes etc?

Oh, and Red, just a couple of things... :nutkick::pokenest::lmao:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Just hope that they don't recall all those foreign cars again, how many recalls have Toyota had in recent years for faulty brakes etc?...

Cain't speak for the UK but over here we've had one recall for Toyota. One recall ever! It was for an accelerator.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE