defender heating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
What great inventions have you came up with to heat up your defender in the winter better, i know you can get the webasto and the eberspacher diesel in line heaters but they are well expensive and i also know those little 12v ebay heaters are a waste of time.

Ive currently got a 2004 td5 110, the heaters not bad, but not great either so was looking to hear what other ideas people had came up with

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Mines got heated seats :eek: , but i always put a muff over the grill to try and keep the rad a bit warmer !!

Interesting idea there. Do you find you get the heat coming through the vents that bit quicker and warmer?

I seen them listed on one of the landy sites and wondered if they would help

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Interesting idea there. Do you find you get the heat coming through the vents that bit quicker and warmer?

I seen them listed on one of the landy sites and wondered if they would help

yea seems to stop the icy wind taking all the heat away from the rad so warms up a bit quicker - Made one out of some pvc `leatherette` holding up well !!;)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I left mine down all through last winter and the temp guage never rose above the normal temp setting all winter ,was a bit worried at first - water levels remained good :cool:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
See my post in the defender improvements thread for something well worth a quick try. Also make sure your thermostat is in good working order, that'll make a huge difference.
On really cold nights I take my drivers seat cusion in the house overnight, so it's already warm.

Dave

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
if its a 110 put a heavy blanket behind the driver and passenger seat ( if no one is sitting in the back) to act like a fume blanket, saves warming up the rest of the car

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My 90 truck cab seems to have awesome heaters. I guess there's less cab to heat up though. I am running out of fan speeds though...

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
The best improvement is the fact that you have a Defender! Early series LR's had the 'option' of a heater.
A feed sack/cardboard/sheet of aluminium in front of the front grille is an improvement as the engine will run hotter thus making the heater better. There are retro-fit items that may look better but cost money. Remember to site this cover over the radiator not the intercooler!
Kenlowe do a pre-heat in the water system for when the weather becomes really cold. That looked a good idea. Also running the engine for five minutes before your journey really does help.
Swyn.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well BR, I'm feeding the birdies in that horrible wood again this weekend if you'd like to come and demonstrate you landcruiser's superiority in amongt all those brambles!:You_Rock_

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Only 100,000? I thought it was meant to be used!:theyareon

Be a shame to make you come all that way just to spend time in a nice poplar wood though, wouldn't it? Pity I've only permission to shoot it, not to 'craft' in it! Oh well, shouldn't grumble.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Eberspachers may be expensive ... but they are worth it

I have one in my 90 ... its awesome

Andy

What model have you got fitted in your 90, i was looking at the eberspacher d2 heater, looks like they are going for about £760 for a new complete kit and cheaper on ebay for 2nd hand ones.

Did you fit this yourself or did you get some one else to fit it for you, if you fitted it yourself how easy did you find it....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE