defender heating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Thanks for that Andy, i think i might go for it and get a d2 model, that sounds a good idea under the back seat, whats the problem with his exhaust location for the unit? with water ingress

Depends how deep you wade .... its too low for me

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red,

Ther's a few pheasant, the odd bunny, the inevitable grey squirrel and it does draw woodies to. Oh - and muntjac that a fond of knocking our feeders over so they can scoff our wheat!

The wood itself is not that old, the poplar were planted since the war for the match trade, thanks to cheap disposable lighters they are still there!

All the best,

Dave

Sounds great Dave......I miss trees being in Lincolnshire :(

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
The heater hardly works in my landy and it often seems to be colder inside than out, and I often stay up at princetown and it freezes solid over night in the winter so half an hour before I leave I light a little paraffin heater and leave it running to defrost the cab before I have to go to work, it may be a fire hazard and fill the cab with fumes but its better than having ice on the inside of the windows

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Pussies the lot of you! Remember riding my old MZ from Plymouth to London in the winter at night - on the hill approaching Exeter I obviously hit some sort of thermocline, as my visor suddenly froze on both the inside and outside.................

Still think a diesel Ssangyong Musso is the way to go:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I did not think an MZ could make that distance ,so how many days did that take?:lmao::lmao:and at night did you have a head torch on !:yikes:

Jason

How very dare you !!! I've had big beemers, goldwings, Yamaha RSVs etc, but still have a soft spot for my MZs. Plug along at 65-70mph, really comfy, ridiculously cheap to get spare parts (how about a windscreen, replacement tyre, two hard panniers and fitting kit for 140 pounds?!). All the while making the Crazy Frog sound:)

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Tell you what, this thread hasn't half done a good job of reminding me why I went Jap for my fourbyfour.
And watch the fireworks!:p

Don't know if this qualifies as fireworks, but I often see posts like this in Defender threads. Makes me wonder who the poster is trying to convince about his/her decision.....
but still loves to read Defender threads. :)

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
In winter (especially bad weather like last year) I put a 5ft long greenhouse heater tube in mine, and just ran a long lead back to my plug in the porch. Was handy to prevent having to defrost the the inside of the vehicle and was also not to bad temperature wise.

Also I have a pair of Dickies winter overalls if im out in the real cold, these are mint i was doing work last winter outside in -15 quite comfortably and they are waterproof, well worth the £40, also handy for when your jumping in and out the landy pulling other road users out the hedge

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Its not cheap but im guessing you wont need much and it will make a huge difference. You'd need some camper van windscreen protection too.

Any kind of insulation will improve a big tin boxes capacity for holding onto heat.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Don't buy secondhand Eberspachers when its cold, the price doubles.

The one I use the most was £20! ECU doesn't work but I've rigged it for manual control. Get a diesel one if you can and run it from a separate tank/bottle of red diesel or heating oil as it's cheaper (and legal as it's not powering the car)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The one I use the most was £20! ECU doesn't work but I've rigged it for manual control. Get a diesel one if you can and run it from a separate tank/bottle of red diesel or heating oil as it's cheaper (and legal as it's not powering the car)

Can't argue with a £20 price.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Having never owned a Landy I've got to ask. Is the factory heater really that bad?

living in florida it would be too warm to use it anyway :lmao: Its not bad ! it,s just a heater matrix that relies on the engine water temp to provide heat .........just takes a bit of time for the diesel engine to warm up in `our` winter,s!!:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE