Decades of conservation destroyed in days. By...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A large National 'Conservation' body to make the area more attractive for walkers.

This is my home ground here, I've been studying this area for over 25 years and it is the last large stronghold for adders, slow-worms and viviparous lizards for miles. The area has been protected and kept in prime condition for reptiles as they have been hibernating there for decades, if not centuries.

The area consisted of a dense island of established gorse bushes, whose root system is so old, the reptiles have been using it as a hibernacula site since anyone can remember. Such sites are most important for reptiles as hibernacula are not easy to come by, and it provides protection upon awakening, due to the density of the gorse...

Here's how it has looked for years...

23Feb20129.jpg

23Feb20128.jpg

On the first day of the year when the weather was in its prime for awakening dormant reptiles, I went up and found this....

23Feb201213.jpg

23Feb201210.jpg

Not only has the entire area been decimated, but when I arrrived buzzards and corvids were present and picking off any animals that hadn't been trapped underground by the bulldozers. As there is no cover, this was easy pickings.

This area has been used by reptiles for so long, that many travel up to 1.5km away to overwinter here, it's a communal site that shelters almost the entire population during Winter months. It is a prime study site and herpetologists from three counties monitor it. We even have a large amount of artificial refugia to aid research. These are those corrugated sheets you see on TV programmes that attract reptiles and allow easy study. Shockingly, this 'National Conservation Body' thought they would be good to use as scoops and ash catchers, despite them knowing exactly what they are and their importance to the conservation and study of the native herpetofauna...

23Feb201211.jpg

23Feb201212.jpg

The brown stuff is already flying towards fans for this move. It seems that preserving a rare and protected species like snakes isn't important to some organisations when they can attract birds and make the place landscaped and aesthetically pleasing for people who may want to come there.

Sad fact is, whatever noise the local reptile groups and other conservation bodies make, it's now too late, the damage has been done and a once well known stronghold for adders has been rendered utterly devoid of the most important area and most of the population that could sustain it for future years. Within five years, adders will now be extinct from this site, with a few individulas who overwintered elsewhere, roaming the area searching for mates they won't find.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
don't you have contacts at country file ? didn't you do a piece for the magazine a short while ago ? could you not get them involved ?

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
ha ha ha ha ha ha another great nature project started by a load of morons, dont you just love the plonkers they are realy up there with the rspcb and rspca,

i doubt very much if any thing can be done at all to any of it the morons at the national trust have to many lawers that will rip you pieces should you say any thing, the BBC wont do any thing as the national trust viewer is there main back bone the same with the rspca and rspcb.

sorry but your on a losing situation the only thing you can do is start up watching and counting walkers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very sad........... Complete lack of understaning. Could have made it a center piece rather than flattening it.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
ha ha ha ha ha ha another great nature project started by a load of morons, dont you just love the plonkers they are realy up there with the rspcb and rspca,

i doubt very much if any thing can be done at all to any of it the morons at the national trust have to many lawers that will rip you pieces should you say any thing, the BBC wont do any thing as the national trust viewer is there main back bone the same with the rspca and rspcb.

sorry but your on a losing situation the only thing you can do is start up watching and counting walkers

yup !!! national trust = Government land grab !!!!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I sympathise, the South Downs Trust here have a habit of removing chunks of scrubland which are attempting to become a wood. 1/2 to an acre at a time. I asked a ranger why one time. The reply was, "The Downs didn't used to have trees on them due to grazing animals and field systems." I asked, "What was there before the fields and animals then?" He drove off :cool:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
All the contacts I have at hand will be sent a thorough report with photographic evidence backed up with years of study. It's a case of bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted. But as I've told Robbi, there are individual adders I've seen here since I was 15 (25 years ago now) and it was a major stronghold for the species. They will all be dead now. It's like returning home and finding your house burned down. The damage is irreversable, the adders can't be brought back or replaced. And even if you could, they have nowhere now to hibernate as all the smaller surrounding sites have had the same thing happen over the last few years as part of the 'heathland restoration project'. This was the last one. Adders from the area gather together in communal hibernacula, the majority of the surviving population would have been under that lot. Only a few late comers having to go to ground before they made it to this site last November would have survived, and those few individuals will never be able to re-populate the area. Genetic diversity will be zero, and adders breed very slowly.

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
JD - Same up in my neck of the woods. Huge expanse of gorse chopped and cleared north of Craster by the NT. Absolutely no explanation as to why (other than keeping people in a job?). I was baffled the other day when I went off the main footpaths and discovered just how much habitat they had destroyed. I can't work it out at all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Travesties like this need shouted out loud and the folks who rubber stamped it publically shamed.

I'd contact every news feature I could and I'd name names, from the people who signed off on it to the men who drove the diggers, because that work was paid for, and it sounds as though it was paid for with charitable funds. If money and reputation are the only currency those morons understand, work it against them

Deepest sympathies JD

M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Don't worry folks, I'm not lying down and rolling over on this one. It's very personal. Imagine having the same blackbird visit your garden year on year for 25 years and then finding out a new neighbour had shot it and was doing everything to scare birds from the neighbourhood. Then you might just understand how I feel.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
go up to these sites in a 4x4 and see what they site you with !! Bet you they will try and prosecute you for habitat distruction of endangered species !!! makes me sick !!!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Don't worry folks, I'm not lying down and rolling over on this one. It's very personal. Imagine having the same blackbird visit your garden year on year for 25 years and then finding out a new neighbour had shot it and was doing everything to scare birds from the neighbourhood. Then you might just understand how I feel.

Good for you.........what they've done here is terrible. I'm not a great fan of the NT or English Heritage, I sometimes wonder if they are just run by people with qualifications and no knowledge through experience??

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I sympathise, the South Downs Trust here have a habit of removing chunks of scrubland which are attempting to become a wood. 1/2 to an acre at a time. I asked a ranger why one time. The reply was, "The Downs didn't used to have trees on them due to grazing animals and field systems." I asked, "What was there before the fields and animals then?" He drove off :cool:

I had a similar conversation with South Downs Park Ranger last week after they had ripped out an Elm Grove and left 5ft high stumps (RockMonkey has seen the photo's and being a tree surgeon he was gob smacked), the Ranger, who obviously knows more about it than i, as he has a piece of paper to prove it, but no experience of life or the way the countryside really works, told me they didnt even plan on replacing the Grove, all of the trees were young and healthy and nobody around here can understand - why? and the Rangers cant even tell you, because in all honesty they dont know either.

If thety were all dead Elms then i could understand it, but some of the trees they took out were less than 2" in diameter, so only saplings in reality, oh yes for god measure they ripped out all of the bramble, Blackthorn and Damsons as well, built a huge fire chucked everything on there including old tyres and metal and torched the lot and for good measure have left it there as a symbol of their, obviously, vital work in creating better habitat, coincidentally, since they did it,. there is a marked and very noticeable reduction in the number of birds in the garden, i have since writen to Caroline Spellman MP & my local MP with photographic evidence of the vandalism that has taken place, with before and after photo's - tbh, i dont expect to get a reply.

Back to JD - i feel your pain mate, they will give you the standard line of - it's in the name of progress - i call it - in the name of not having a clue what they are doing.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Good for you.........what they've done here is terrible. I'm not a great fan of the NT or English Heritage, I sometimes wonder if they are just run by people with qualifications and no knowledge through experience??

some of them are good as they grew up and understand the countryside, but others, not a clue, case in point, i was doing some work last year and a "ranger" asked me where i had learnt to pollard because i was doing it all wrong - so i told him to go and talk to the Woodsman over by the fire as he taught me and had been working the woods for over 60 years, the Ranger just went over and then went away after a dressing down with his tail between his legs and ive never seen him since, the old fella laughed so hard i thought he was going to pee himself

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE