D-Day June 6th.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hi all.

On a serious note.

This is may be of interest to some who have a great interest in WW2, I have been studying this particularair field for a while as ( not that you would know now) it played a huge role on D-Day. Companies from the 101st US Airborne left from here in the late hours of June the 5th to make the the jump into Normandy, behind the alantic wall.

Took a whole year to build, over 100 acres of concrete was laid and all this effort and it was design to used just for 4 day during D-Day.

Now, just a small, quite, out the way place in Devon, very special.

The Dedication of the Upottery-Smeatharpe Airfield Memorial on the Upottery- Churchingford Road.

This will take place at Moonhayes Cross by the old WWII sentry box at eleven hundred hours on Monday the sixth of June 2005.

Nothing can come cheaper than the sacrifices of others whatever the cause, so if you can break away from your normal duties on this day please come and join us, the Ceremony will consist of a simple unveiling followed by the laying of 68 British Legion Crosses by children and teachers of Upottery Primary school. Among those present will be a Bugler and local members of the British Legion with their Banners. The Reverent John Woolham Pastor of the Newhouse Chapel has kindly agreed to over see the proceedings and should the weather not be good on that day he will make the Chapel available.

There are still a small number of Dakota C-47 aircraft around the World that operated on D-Day, There is one we have discovered not to faraway that flew from Smeatharpe with the 92nd Squadron just before midnight on June 5th 1944, it should be in perfect flying condition by June having had a major refit, the Greek owner will not allow it to fly very often, however in principle it is agreed that it should do a fly pass as a tribute at our Memorial Service, we cannot confirm this until the aircraft has completed the re-fit and the Athens based crew are known to be available. We are very hopeful! We have to provide one thousand litres of fuel.

(We can just about under right this but we are seeking sponsors from outside)

We are getting a number of generous offers including one from Crudge Coaches Ltd Honiton who have agreed to transport the children for a nominal sum including taking them across too Dunkeswell to see the Dakota C-47, where the owner is prepared to let the participating kids see over the plane, it is still in its war time livery. (May be some adults who attend the buffet can be allowed the same privilege)?

One problem we foresee is the limitation of the area around the sentry box should a large crowd gather, we shall have marshals posted and if the area starts to get congested, cars will be diverted up to the airfield via the Holemoor Cross junction.

We are trying to arrange for the plane to come around the North West Side of the Blackdown Hills to Cullompton then cut across to Honiton and up the Otter Valley arriving 11:30 –11:45

It should then turn left 180 degrees at Otter Lake and back to Smeatharpe flying down over Runway 27 where it took off with eighty other aircraft sixty-one years ago; this should provide a good viewing area. (Please do not park on the road and restrict the flow of traffic anywhere.)

It will then land at Dunkeswell and park close to the Observatory Restaurant at the Dunkeswell Aero Centre where there will be a Buffet reception held, there is a limited amount of tickets for the buffet available at the cost of £7-50 per person purely on a first come first paid basis, cheques payable to “The South West Airfields Trust” if you are interested please call 01823 601012 the closing date will be May 20th or when fully subscribed.

Please allow us to reiterate that this event is intended to be for the rank and file of the local community.

The Arscott family at Moonhayes Farm has kindly offered car parking with in a short walking distance. It is important that every one attending is congregated by five minutes to eleven please.

For those watching the fly-pass on the airfield we remind you that the airfield is private land so please view from the road side we except no responsibility and will not be marshalling this area.

Best wishes.

Jack.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
This was the airfield from which "Easy company" departed in the "Band of Brothers" tv series - the book of which I happen to be reading at present!

Dave

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Jack,

Not that far into the book yet, Easy have just dropped into Normandy, Winters & co have knocked out the 4 howitzers covering the beach, and I decided I needed sleep. So far its pretty faithful to the tv show - or maybe its the other way round.
I'll let you know as I get farther into it.

Are the pictures on the web?

Dave

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I live right on top of the old Warmwell "dummy" airstrip , The real one is the other side of the Quarry's and still has a lot of its "features" , like the horseshoe shaped banks used for storing spitfires .
An amazing place to explore and was where i started shelter building and fire lighting .
Still easily accessable , just dont know about "camping" there . It's one of those woods where you just know someone is watching :eek: ! Good place for Most Haunted though .
pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE