Nibbles.. and possibly Nobbles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The festive season seems to bring out the parties and events that generate a Smörgåsbord of finger food and dishes of questionable origin.
Now , I like a spicy prawn vol-au-vent as much as the next man and I will go weak in the knees for a Pink wibbly blancmange moulded in the shape of a crouching Rabbit.

But.

I am gastrocurious.. I want to sample many a new thing ( and possibly regret it the next day ) - but it would be nice to try some different buffet style foods or combinations that maybe are somewhat off piste.

So my contribution to this thread will be - Slightly Pickled Mayak 'Drug' Eggs - Follow a normal recipe for Mayak eggs but after a few days add enough distilled clear vinegar to pickle it sufficiently whilst still retaining its sweet & salty , umami rich flavour.

1701802656247.png

Reactions: nigelp and gg012

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone have any suggestions? Must be something people have in their culinary bag of tricks ?

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
I have a particular liking for cooking with fire, inside or out, and so have numerous cookbooks form the 18th Century. Many of their recipes (receipts!) make modern dishes seem rather boring and bland. Just google some of them and you'll get some good ideas.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't try the chocolate bowls. Trust me on this, do not try making them on washed and dried and blown up water bomb balloons.

Cheesy puffs.

3 tablespoonsful of instant mash....make up as per directions and let it cool. Makes about a 'cup' full.
Or just use leftover mashed spuds.

Season really, really well....salt, fine ground pepper, some chilli, or make it a masala mix.....add grated cheddar, or blue cheese or bacon bits, or crispy onion bits....and an egg and three tablespoonsful of self raising flour (gluten free works very well in this recipe) and one of cornmeal ...if you like a crunchier coating. Beat the mixture well, maybe add a tablespoonful or so of milk if it's too stiff.

Heat a pan of hot oil and drop in heaped teaspoonsful of the batter. They'll float to the surface, become rounded and will go golden brown. Lift out and drain while you cook up the rest of the batter.

Serve with salad and chutney, or a salsa type tomato sauce, or better yet a blue cheese dip :).....break up blue cheese with a fork, stir it through some Greek yoghurt, add salt, chives, wee touch of garlic if you like. Pungent but oh so tasty.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The wife always makes “truffles” this time of year. A recipe swiped from a Scottish relative.

Oreo biscuits blended up and mixed with cream cheese, then rolled into small balls about the size of a large marble. Once set in the fridge for a while they’re then covered in melted white or milk chocolate. She gets fancy with the chocolate dripping over the contrasting colours to make a pattern too, especially good to give as sweet gifts.

Reactions: nigelp and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE