College depression, bleak conservation future

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Sorry, BCUK, but I have to go on a little rant and I'm in desperate need of advice.

Two days ago I joined college for Rural Skills. Long story short, it's not what I expected. I have to go on a rant about day two here...

More “people” joined the class. The most vain, degenerate neds with which I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. People who consider sex, drugs and partying valid hobbies. Pathetic. I was speaking to a friend yesterday about the class and he suggested that most of them would drop out the minute they found a job at a local sports shop. I can now definitely see that. They are the type of people who don't like theoretical paper work and most assuredly didn't want to go down an academic conservation route like me. Most certainly they were only on the course for the sole reason that it's based outside and not indoors. You've all seen them right? Neds? Chavs? Whatever you want to call them, they made up a high percentage in the small Rural Skills class.

I wanted a class of real people, a certain strain of people who were genuinely interested in the subject, not just there because they consider outside work less challenging on the mind. I wanted a nice quiet group were we could just walk through and talk about the woodland and its ecology. Do you have any idea how tiring it is to have your dreams crushed by yet another group of neds who think that answering a question is worthy of a snigger at the back of the group? WE ARE HERE TO LEARN NOT ACT AS IF A TINY FRAGMENT OF KNOWLEDGE IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THING TO BE SEEN HAVING.

The people with whom I found it easier to get a long were just out of school and, not to my surprise at all, confirmed my suspicion of their being clueless as to why they were here. Brilliant. So that's now everyone who doesn't give a toss about nature, ecology, biology or anything related to those fields. None of them even liked hiking or camping.

The day began with a walk through the woods. My hopes were raised when the lecturer started identifying some trees and he talked briefly about the moral implications of culling certain animals, but that's where the positive things ended.

The last half of the day we got into our overalls to do some tidying up in the garden and that's when it hit me. Imagine all of us, plus 5 neds wearing typical blue apprenticeship overalls as the lecturer went over the safety procedures of the workshop. I wanted mature adults talking about nature, identifying trees, building bird boxes and what did I get? Childish jokes about how a garden hoe sounds like a slang word for a prostitute. The lecturer was encouraging such behaviour.

So now, instead of following in the footsteps of some of the people to which I've been speaking over the internet, some on this forum, I'll just have to go back to job seeking. I'll get a job for a couple of months and then say goodbye to my only friend I've known for 90% of my life and move to England where I can't do a single bit of voluntary work. Yes, my parents are forcing me to move to England for reasons I won't discuss. I'm almost twenty. I was thinking today whilst tolerating the sheer idiocy of those people how valuable volunteering with the Freinds of Yellowcraig has been. And now I won't be able to volunteer with the people I've come to know. Funny that, isn't it? Voluntary work has been more valuable and more worthwhile than college. I've learnt so much by volunteering for Friends of Yellowcraig and yet I will never be able to progress in my chosen career path because you can't get a job by voluntary work alone. Or am I wrong?

I came to learn about ecology and other important aspects of the natural world. Even if there was one day when we did got to the woods, I wouldn't want that experience constantly tainted by those people.

I was only there one and a half days, but I knew it wasn't going to get better. The lecturer briefly went over some of the things we'd be doing in the workshop, such as splitting logs, digging up weeds etc. But I came to learn about ecology and other important aspects of the natural world.

I can't describe how depressed I am about this. I just couldn't take any more of those people. I expected mature adults and got a bunch of kids sniggering at the latin names for flora and fauna. I can't express how crushing that is. I walked directly out of the college.

I need to know if there is another way. I can't do it, I simply can't be around those people anymore. It took me so long to find an entry level course into this line of work, and that was the only one that was near me. My future in conservation is gone now because I don't have the magical ability to shut out my ears from sheer idiocy.

I need to know if one can get a job through voluntary work alone. I need to know what I can do. I'm running out of options and I fear now that I'll have to give up on my dreams entirely because of those degenerates and sub-par course content. Where can I go? What the hell am I supposed to do?

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm almost finding this hard to believe and wondering if I'm actually dreaming. "It is notable for having an open entry policy, i.e. students' previous academic achievements are not taken into account for entry to most undergraduate courses."
If Open University exists, why has everyone been telling me to start with courses like Rural Skills, at the lowest of the low? I have no qualifications in anything that relate to nature conservation because I was a latecomer to the subject and have my entire life only focused on computing. I'm still reading about the OU, but it seems pretty astonishing. Almost too good to be true? I'm a supreme pessimist, if you haven't already guessed...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lots of courses have no entry requirements these days (sadly). A couple of days in is no way to judge the course and you'll find a lot will drop out so just shut up, keep stum and wait your time. A lot will fall by the wayside, happens in a lot of courses these days.

Keep faith in yourself chap.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Lots of courses have no entry requirements these days (sadly). A couple of days in is no way to judge the course and you'll find a lot will drop out so just shut up, keep stum and wait your time. A lot will fall by the wayside, happens in a lot of courses these days.

Keep faith in yourself chap.

well said that man

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The OU demands a lot of will power and self discipline to keep going. This is an entry requirement in its own right. Don't knock it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I have my reasons for leaving my course.

Enough of that, anyway... I'm just curious to know why a course like "BSc (Honours) Environmental Science", which sounds like quite academic, has no entry requirements, when at Oatridge, for example, you need to have former qualifications. It doesn't quite add up. Everyone had been telling me prior to applying for Rural Skills that I could ONLY do Rural Skills because I had no qualifications...And now this comes along. It seems too good to be true, though...

Mountainm - I'm not knocking it. I'm astounded that it's available to everyone and completely open.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have my reasons for leaving my course.

Enough of that, anyway... I'm just curious to know why a course like "BSc (Honours) Environmental Science", which sounds like quite academic, has no entry requirements, when at Oatridge, for example, you need to have former qualifications. It doesn't quite add up. Everyone had been telling me prior to applying for Rural Skills that I could ONLY do Rural Skills because I had no qualifications...And now this comes along. It seems too good to be true, though...

The entry requirements are cash and self discipline. Those that cant cut it will fail and the university profits. The OU is a distance learning model.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Keep at it. Don't let the dross ruin it for you. Consider it an apprenticeship, you have to start at the bottom. If you think it will be better anywhere else, you are sadly mistaken. Judging by your previous posts, you appear to be an intelligent young man, who tends to over think things, also a little naive and idealistic. I don't mean this in a derogatory way.:) Use the course and the lecturer to your fullest advantage, and as the idiots drop out, you will be left with the people who really want to learn. If you leave the course now, it will only hurt you. Life can be a bitch, be stronger.:You_Rock_

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Keep at it. Don't let the dross ruin it for you. Consider it an apprenticeship, you have to start at the bottom. If you think it will be better anywhere else, you are sadly mistaken. Judging by your previous posts, you appear to be an intelligent young man, who tends to over think things, also a little naive and idealistic. I don't mean this in a derogatory way.:) Use the course and the lecturer to your fullest advantage, and as the idiots drop out, you will be left with the people who really want to learn. If you leave the course now, it will only hurt you. Life can be a bitch, be stronger.:You_Rock_

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow... I'm not sure though.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Okay. Okay... I'm going to go back tommorow and try to explain myself. I'm going to have a word with the lecturer about the course.

Good choice.

How long is the course? If you can stick it out for the duration, it will surely open some doors if nothing else?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You'd be amazed the idiots you have to deal with when living and working in rural areas. Its not for everyone. Without wanting to be rude, if you couldn't see your way to sticking with the course for two days, then I suspect a change of direction may be a wise decision. Whether its obnoxious bosses, uptight customers or downright stupid members of the public, you will always be exposed to people who have the capacity to rub you up the wrong way - if you can't deal with that (and many can't), something less "robust" in its nature may suit you better.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
You'd be amazed the idiots you have to deal with when living and working in rural areas. Its not for everyone. Without wanting to be rude, if you couldn't see your way to sticking with the course for two days, then I suspect a change of direction may be a wise decision. Whether its obnoxious bosses, uptight customers or downright stupid members of the public, you will always be exposed to people who have the capacity to rub you up the wrong way - if you can't deal with that (and many can't), something less "robust" in its nature may suit you better.
I'm fine with handling those types of people. I know that customers in a job can be a pain, but that's not what we're talking about here. I'm talking about my class and their immaturity and unwillingness to learn.

xylaria

Talk it through with the lecturer. There maybe a more appropriate course, or better career path. A lousey job with interesting hobbies can lead to an job more interesting than you could imagine. Very few people get good jobs off an FE course especially an entry level one. And computer mnowledge isn' t wasted with an outdoor career. Someone has to write iD apps who has a good knowledge base for example.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
If you are paying mate most universities will rip your arm off for any course you want to do. Im sure there will be niche courses out there that will capture some of your interests in primitive skills etc.

Be warned though, i went to Uni as a mature student paid for by my employer, the standard of education isnt what they would have you believe and there were plenty of 'neds' (new word for me and i like it) and dumbasses so you will still get frustrated :)

Dont give up your dreams though. I had a second chance in later life and i have to say Uni made me.

The biggest skill you will ever learn is when to keep your mouth shut and suck it up. I found Uni extremely frustrating at times but as the course progressed it got better, more relevant and more interesting. First year is for and i quote "People who consider sex, drugs and partying valid hobbies" :D

Good luck buddy, keep the faith

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One thing I've learned is that you have to live in the world the way it is, not the way you'd like it to be. Two or three days is no time at all, and to judge the course on this little is not the way.

Go back, and it'll be what you make of it, like most things in life. The people you call neds and chavs are the people that are all around you and if you let their behaviour put you off your chosen course you'll never do anything; they are everywhere and often they are the way they are through no choice of their own, but you can't let them stop you.

It sounds to me as though you need to harden yourself somewhat; identify what you want to achieve from the course then set out to achieve it regardless of your fellow students - these are the ones who will fall by the wayside soon enough; you obviously consider yourself better than them, so now is your chance to prove it............................atb mac

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
What are your goals for the course and the future, specific, not wooly aims like "I want to work outside".
If you really want something you have to grab it, because you aren't going to get given it, which is the harsh reality.
I used to blame the college course I was on for not being what I expected, it was f*** all to do with the course, and everything to do with me not doing what I should have, work smarter and work harder.
You say your 20 but your parents are telling you where to live, really????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE