Bushmen Botswana (picture heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've been to a handful of talks at the RGS recently as I joined in March and managed
to catch a few before the season finished, and it'll start up again in September. The
talks are very varied and not all reports of heroic acts :) One woman talked about
going to Bhutan to find an insect which secretes a substance that can be used in
dyes and it was fascinating. The most recent was David Dimbleby talking about his
new (now current) series "How we built Britain". They seem to have a very wide remit
on 'stuff happening in the world' and I think their talks programme is unbelievable.

There are several people I'd really like to see there - I recently tripped over someone's
diving photography website (he's called Alexander Mustard) and when I got the latest
RGS mag I see he's got a book out about diving. I've no particular interest in diving
myself but would happily sit still for an hour or so and have him tell me about his interest
in it as his photos are stunning and his website is very good. Probably goes without
saying that I'd love to see my top TV faves there - Mears, Attenborough, Palin, and I'd
also enjoy hearing Tony Kirkham again - he gave a very good talk at Kew last year on
collecting plants from around the world.

Recently at the BA / Royal Society conference I was at a talk by Jason Hall-Spencer
who is based at Plymouth and studies coral reefs. His talk at the conference was
actually about his work as a scientist operating in the media (that was the point of the
conference) but I bet he could put together an amazing talk on coral reefs.

There are LOADS of people out there doing cool stuff but I've only heard of a fraction of
them through watching television and attending other events and conferences.

I've no idea how far in advance the RGS decide on their bookings or what criteria they
use to decide who gets into the Ondaatje theatre but I think a talk from Stuart would be
pretty interesting to most of the Monday evening lecture attendees.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Then relax in your new home, this young lady seems to have taking quite a liking to me :eek:
P1010323.jpg

You don't look too unhappy with that.:p

I envy your experience, but thanks for sharing it. It's great to see people helping others to maintain that situtaion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE