Bushmen Botswana (picture heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Giving the talk at the spring bushmoot on the Bushmen reminded me that I have some nice photographs of some new friends I made in Botswana earlier this year. I have been meaning to put them up in the gallery but unfortunately my Gallery space is full, So I'm putting them up here instead.

atmosphericre3.jpg

atmospheric7.jpg

atmospheric8.jpg

atmospheric5.jpg

P1010344.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010332.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
excellent its nice to see them living free as yhey have suffered a lot recently in Botswana.

Unfortunately not, nothing has really changed in Botswana, except perhaps the bushmen

the people in those photographs live temporarily on farm land owned by the chairman of the charity I was involved with, they are paid a wage to maintain their traditional lifestyle and skills whilst they are there and the place acts as a sort of 'living history museum'.

I was a little wary of this at first, but it turned out to be a very good thing. Of all the communities of bushmen we had contact with in Botswana with this was the only group that still had a fully intact repertoire of traditional bushlore. Undoubtedly because their income gave them a strong incentive to maintain the skills.

Because of their level of traditional knowledge, this is the group I chose to spend my free time with. However in spite of the image portrayed by the popular media, this is not what modern Bushmen look like, other than in our romantic western imagination. Since hunting is illegal in Botswana without a game licence, which is beyond the reach of the Bushmen and they don’t 'own' land, political and financial pressure pushes them to move to the 'Big cities'. (which from our perspectives are tiny isolated villages) Where the wages offered are to low to live in anything but abject poverty and prostitution, AIDS and alcohol abuse are part of day to day life.

It is only recently that the Botswanan government changed the term they used for bushmen, so that linguistically a least they would classify them as humans. Its worth noting as an example of the government approach to the bushmen, that you will be imprisoned for longer if caught stealing a goat in Botswana than if you convicted of raping a bushman woman.

This is a group of modern bushmen (or in this case women, in their Sunday best) teaching me how to build a wikiup:

Pick a spot and have a long debate about the suitability of the location:
P1010138.jpg

Start digging:
P1010144-1.jpg

P1010249.jpg

Stop for a smoke:
P1010303.jpg

Thatch:
P1010313.jpg

Then relax in your new home, this young lady seems to have taking quite a liking to me :eek:
P1010323.jpg

But the image of modern bushmen I remember most. Checking to see if you new home gets a good signal on your mobile! (There is a small town not too far away)

P1010137.jpg

Some other interesting things:

The biggest tree I have ever seen:
P1010628.jpg

P1010635.jpg

And the largest animal I have come face to face with in the wild (I apologise for the poor image, I was preoccupied with fleeing!)

elephant.jpg

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Since hunting is illegal in Botswana without a game licence, which is beyond the reach of the Bushmen and they don’t 'own' land, political and financial pressure pushes them to move to the 'Big cities'. (which from our perspectives are tiny isolated villages) Where the wages offered are to low to live in anything but abject poverty and prostitution, AIDS and alcohol abuse are part of day to day life.

This unfortunately reminds me of the way some natives are treated in Canada...

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
It's really sad to see... all that to help the rich get richer.

I can't recall who said that all men are born equal, some more equal than others, but he was defenetaly correct.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you are correct, and am I wrong thinking that he used the word 'animal' instead of 'human' ? Which is basicaly what we are anyway...

I read the book years ago, I think it tried to show the flaws of communism and how communism doesn't really work. I've never trusted a pig since!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I read the book years ago, I think it tried to show the flaws of communism and how communism doesn't really work. I've never trusted a pig since!

Politics in itself is flawed... or should I say politicians... anyway, that's a debate for another time/place.

I can only hope for a better future for Botswana's bushmen and to all others around the globe that still live in harmony with nature.

Thanks again for the story/picture Stuart (aka: bushwoman casanova) :naughty:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Oh, and that tree is impressive! Wonder how many spoons you could carve from it?!!

Ironically, None!

the wood is very different to the sort of stuff we are used to, its like a tightly matted bundle of woven fibers a bit like the wood of a papaya tree. designed to hold and store water.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That's the best tree in the universe. Great photos :D I might have to email the RGS and
just ask them to invite you to give a talk there! I think it would be fascinating.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's the best tree in the universe. Great photos :D I might have to email the RGS and
just ask them to invite you to give a talk there! I think it would be fascinating.

Stuart,

Excellent idea from Jodie.
Would you be able to do a talk on the Botswana experience with a short ppt. when you are here?
The BNS and MNS would be interested if they have a slot available

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Stuart,

Excellent idea from Jodie.
Would you be able to do a talk on the Botswana experience with a short ppt. when you are here?
The BNS and MNS would be interested if they have a slot available

I gave a talk at the springmoot, and I think that went quite well, so I would be happy to do more.

I would have to pack my collection of Bushman stuff and fly it out to Brunei for the talks though, which in its self is a bit of a task.

That's the best tree in the universe. Great photos I might have to email the RGS and just ask them to invite you to give a talk there! I think it would be fascinating.

if the RGS invited me I would definatly be delighted to talk there, I would also however be equally as terrified! I'm not convinced I've earned the right to talk in that auditorium considering the names that have procceded me.... Amundsen, Shackleton, Burton, Livingstone, Thesiger

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I would have to pack my collection of Bushman stuff and fly it out to Brunei for the talks though, which in its self is a bit of a task.

if the RGS invited me I would definatly be delighted to talk there, I would also however be equally as terrified! I'm not convinced I've earned the right to talk in that auditorium considering the names that have procceded me.... Amundsen, Shackleton, Burton, Livingstone, Thesiger

No just a ppt. would do. Before you do the RGS sharpen your skills on the MNS 2nd XI - Shackleton, Hanbury-Tenison, Harrison, Cranbrook, etc. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE