Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I know the DVD region posts where a while ago but watch out if you TV is not NTSC compatible (most new set are) as most multi region DVD for of that NTSC compatible VCRs are not NTSC on PAL. They will just pass up the NTSC signal up to the TV and if it does not support NTSC it will be in black and white. I know because I bought a region 1 copy of "Enemy at the Gate" a few years ago and while my DVD was multi region my TV at the time did not support the NTSC signal.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
clcuckow said:
I know the DVD region posts where a while ago but watch out if you TV is not NTSC compatible (most new set are) as most multi region DVD for of that NTSC compatible VCRs are not NTSC on PAL. They will just pass up the NTSC signal up to the TV and if it does not support NTSC it will be in black and white. I know because I bought a region 1 copy of "Enemy at the Gate" a few years ago and while my DVD was multi region my TV at the time did not support the NTSC signal.

The only true way to find out is to borrow a film and try it. You really cant believe what is said on the box. My dvd player is supposed to be region 2 only and i can watch american dvd's. Now whether it's because it's ntsc or whether it's because it's region 1 i am not too sure about, but i have been told quite a few will play ntsc...

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
innocent bystander said:
The only true way to find out is to borrow a film and try it. You really cant believe what is said on the box. My dvd player is supposed to be region 2 only and i can watch american dvd's. Now whether it's because it's ntsc or whether it's because it's region 1 i am not too sure about, but i have been told quite a few will play ntsc...

There are two problems first the Region codeing which is in hardware (including Computer DVD Drives) then the encoding of the Mpeg2 data. Region 1 DVD's are encoded in NTSC format and a lot of DVD will just kick this out the SCART. There are some Videos/DVD that will do the NTSC to PAL conversion. Theses are normally refered to as NTSC on PAL (or words to that efect).

Good luck I hope it plays.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Well i dont know how it works and i dont know why it works. But works it does :D

Anyway, the film.
Dursu Uzala is what it is called, and living and travelling in some serious wilderness is what it's about. This is seriously one of the best films i have seen in ages (thumbs up to Clem for the recomendation ). The scenery is something to behold, and the story, when you get to the second half becomes very poignant indeed. If you get the chance i would strongly suggest that you watch it. I shall not say more than that because word's are not really enough to describe it. It's that good.

Attachments

• dersu uzala.JPG
    dersu uzala.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 361

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Other that Walkabout :D I can't remember owt :confused:

But as a kid I had a book called My side of the mountain about a kid who ran away to the Catskill mountains that got me interested in the general subject.

I also had a book called Survival by Russell Evans which was about an escaped Russian political prisoner surviving in the tundra.

Might not be adult reading but as a nipper they got me thinking and I read them over and over again :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
demographic But as a kid I had a book called [URL=http://www.eduplace.com/tview/tviews/m/mysideofthemountain.html said:
My side of the mountain[/URL] about a kid who ran away to the Catskill mountains that got me interested in the general subject.
QUOTE]
Somewhere in the attic there is a box that has that still in it. Brilliant read as i recall.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
[/QUOTE]
Jenny Agater ;)
Ahh, now you mention it thats the only bit I remember![/QUOTE]

Funny that,me too.The swimming scene is still quite clear in my memory. :cool:

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
My favourite book as a kid was 'Bevis, the story of a boy' by the victorian writer Richard Jefferies . Full of marvellous tales. You can read other titles from the author online for free at Project Gutenburg. Try 'After London'.

From Wikipedia:

His most famous work, After London (1885) is of the type that could be best described as "post-holocaust science fiction"; after some sudden and unspecified catastrophe has depopulated England, the countryside reverts to nature, and the few survivors to a quasi-medieval way of life. The first chapters consist solely of a loving description of nature reclaiming England: fields becoming overrun by forest, domesticated animals running wild, roads and towns becoming overgrown, the hated London reverting to lake and poisonous swampland. The rest of the story is a straightforward adventure/quest set many years later in the wild landscape and society; but the opening chapters set an example for many later science fiction stories.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
New TV series starts this Wednesday (10th Aug) at 20:30 CH 4.

Lost

US adventure series about plane-crash survivors who find themselves stranded on a Pacific island. 48 strangers wake to discover themselves on a beautiful beach, but the group faces the combined threat of harsh terrain, cruel weather and a frightening creature in the jungle

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Remember the bit in Apocalypse Now where the chef leaves the boat to forrage for mangoes and gets chased by a tiger? Not really relevant for UK bushcraft, but if I ever find myself picking wild fruit in Indo China I'll be sure to keep an eye out for feline predators. :rolleyes:

Anyone seen the episode of The Sopranos where Paul and Chris get lost in the snow while trying to assasinate an 'interior decorator'? An excellent study of the mental and physical consequences of wandering off into the woods unprepared.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
It gets better I haven't been keeping up to date with fully. It started here in June, but there is a survival expert amoung them and some interesting wild live on the island.

Enjoy it.

James

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
:p
jamesdevine said:
It gets better I haven't been keeping up to date with fully. It started here in June, but there is a survival expert amoung them and some interesting wild live on the island.

Enjoy it.

James

Including a Polar Bear ! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I saw the first episode after seeing Madagascar, that new animated film. The island looks very similar so I kept on expecting to see a bunch of mad lemurs appear out of the forest wearing flowers and grass skirts and on a "Ragga tip"...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Oo Oo Someone’s talking about LOST Oo Oo I saw the fist too episodes the other night (as that’s when they were on) and loved it that sort of TV is right up my street It was really good TV introducing all the characters and setting the seen I can’t wait for the next instalment of story next Wednesday .

My wife buys Heat I don’t usually read it because it’s trashy but this week they did a round up of all the characters the quiet guy with the scar over his eye apparently has a suit case full of knives, my bet’s on him being the survivalist.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Wenie said:
How about Disney's The Jungle Book? There's a bit where Baloo the bear teaches Mowgli to forage for fruit... ;)

Good call. Baloo was very much a bushcrafter rather than a survivalist. He was interested in quality of life, not just the avoidance of death. His character truly epitomises the post materialistic values held by most BCUK members.

Also, bushcraft would be a lot funkier if it were performed with a Louis Prima soundtrack like in the film. :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
jdlenton said:
My wife buys Heat I don’t usually read it because it’s trashy but this week they did a round up of all the characters the quiet guy with the scar over his eye apparently has a suit case full of knives, my bet’s on him being the survivalist.

[/font][/font][/color][/font][/font]

To use a nice cliché... "You aint seen nuthing yet...."

Thats the beauty of the Lost series.. they use every episode to develop a character more and more, and not always to their good side :p Everyone has some skeletons in their closet in that series =)

I've seen up to episode 23 and are now waiting for the rest to be produced :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE