Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

Ok dont laugh gus but what about Robin Hood Prince of Thieves...

I quote one of Kevin Costner's lines in the film 'what can we eat that the forest cannot provide'. A trully bushcrafti comment!

Robin and his men are driven into the forest by the sheriff and have to improvise what they have around them to make food, shelter, tools & weapons.

Marc

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
jamesdevine said:
The Snowwalker does look cool. It really is a pity it has not been released this side of the pond yet.

James

Just one thought - although the dvd is region 1, my dvd player is a region 2 only. It happens to play NTSC, so it may be worth checking out your players in case they can play NTSC. Don't beleive the manual that came with it either. Borrow a region 1/ NTSC disc and try it !! ;)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
CLEM said:
Wow that Snowwalker looks really good,i shall have to look out for a copy myself.Anyone seen Pathfinder,i think its a Norwegian film?.

Clem i had a look on the IMDB for pathfinder, but couldn't find many apart from a few old ones about hawkeye and the mohicans etc. But, there is one coming out in 2007 about a viking kiddie raised by Native Americans, which looks promising. And it is called Pathfinder !! Is that the one you mean ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I may just order it and play it on my computer. I have a programme called anyDVD that changes the region on your DVD player without it locking out. A good programme for if you want to buy region 1 or any other region DVDs. Check out slysoft.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
The Edge

As allready mentioned has various bushcrafty elements, im unsure if i would rave about it for its bushcraft but for the characters in it it is excellent.

Booosh

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
innocent bystander said:
Clem i had a look on the IMDB for pathfinder, but couldn't find many apart from a few old ones about hawkeye and the mohicans etc. But, there is one coming out in 2007 about a viking kiddie raised by Native Americans, which looks promising. And it is called Pathfinder !! Is that the one you mean ?
No mate thats not the one but that one does sound worth a watch when its released.I think the film iam on about is atleast ten years old maybe more,cracking good film it is too.Its about rival tribes of Wikings who raid another village and wipe them out,well all but a few who are out hunting in the snow,its about their survival and revenge.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
CLEM said:
Oh,i think ive mentioned this before but ive a film given to me by a mate a real film buff,the film is called Dersu Uzala,its a Russian film and its great.Iam 100% confident that everyone would like it. :)
Sorry for quoting my own post but i really think you folks would enjoy this,its set in Russia during the 1900s,some Russian soldiers are out mapping the Siberian wilderness when they stumble upon this little hunter fellow in the forest,he and the officer become firm friends and over the years they meet again in the forests,the hunter saves the officers life and his own during a huge snow storm upon a frozen lake by building a kind of shelter from the bullrushes.I shall say no more in case any want to buy it,but trust me its a cracking film and one that i believe that most on here will really enjoy. :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
CLEM said:
No mate thats not the one but that one does sound worth a watch when its released.I think the film iam on about is atleast ten years old maybe more,cracking good film it is too.Its about rival tribes of Wikings who raid another village and wipe them out,well all but a few who are out hunting in the snow,its about their survival and revenge.

I just found the film i mentioned on this site :
http://www.themovieinsider.com/movies/mid/527

Turns out it is a remake of a 1987 noggin film. So that'd be the one !!

And it appears that amazon have it on video 2nd hand..:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...92673/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/202-6433572-4659849

Geuss what i have just ordered :rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
arctic hobo said:
UK is Region 2, but if you've got a multi-region player it'll be fine ;)

Edit: and the Norwegian film is called Ofelas.

Best i answer my own question then :

Q: What's the difference between Region Coding and RCE?
A: Regional Coding enhancement(RCE) is an additional layer of protection which some studios have placed on select REGION 1 DVDs to prevent them from playing on region-free or multi-region players. Region Coding is a part of the DVD spec which divides the world into 8 regions:
Region 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6: China
Region 7: Reserved
Region 8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

Basically, DVDs released in each region will typically only play on players sold in that region. IE a DVD released in the UK *Region 2* would not play on a player sold in the us *Region 1*. You can tell what Region a DVD is coded for by looking at the back of the box for a Globe with a number on it. The number correlates to the region list above. If a DVD is listed as 'Region 0' it means that it isn't coded for any region and should play on ALL regions players.

Region 0 should play on all DVD's. Even my Region 2 player.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
innocent bystander said:
Best i answer my own question then :

Q: What's the difference between Region Coding and RCE?
A: Regional Coding enhancement(RCE) is an additional layer of protection which some studios have placed on select REGION 1 DVDs to prevent them from playing on region-free or multi-region players. Region Coding is a part of the DVD spec which divides the world into 8 regions:
Region 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6: China
Region 7: Reserved
Region 8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

Basically, DVDs released in each region will typically only play on players sold in that region. IE a DVD released in the UK *Region 2* would not play on a player sold in the us *Region 1*. You can tell what Region a DVD is coded for by looking at the back of the box for a Globe with a number on it. The number correlates to the region list above. If a DVD is listed as 'Region 0' it means that it isn't coded for any region and should play on ALL regions players.

Region 0 should play on all DVD's. Even my Region 2 player.
I'm silenced! :eek: :D

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
innocent bystander said:
Okay, i have now ordered it :rolleyes: . Just hope it plays on my DVD player. Region 0 ?
I'll post how i get on, when it arrives..
Which one have you ordered,the Pathfinder or Dersu Uzala?

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
CLEM said:
Which one have you ordered,the Pathfinder or Dersu Uzala?

Both :eek:

Dersu Uzala is on DVD (region O, so it should play okay Arctic ;) :D )

Pathfinder on Video. They only got 2nd hand ones at that, but i think i can talk someone into saving to DVD for me.....

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Top man,i do not think you will be disapointed,well i hope not anyway :) .Dersu Uzala and Pathfinder are two of my faverites. :)

When you have watched them let us all know what you think of them. :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
At Clems excellent suggestion, i have just watched Pathfinder :cool:

What a thoroughly enjoyable film. I would have liked to have seen some more "bushcraft", but that doesn't really detract from the film in any way. And the views and scenery are something else !! And excellent use of the avalanche at the end :D . If you can scrounge a copy it's well worth seeing.

Attachments

• pathfinder.jpg
    pathfinder.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 385

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Just to let you all known last night my brother pointed out that the Snowwalker in on digital next week on the 4th. I am not sure of the channal but I'll give him a call and get the details.

It's not listed on the Sky as far as I can see but if anyone else find the details please do post it.

James

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
snow walker times

04 august sky movies 2, 11.30am and 6.10pm
08 august sky movies 1, 11.05am and 6.55pm

these are but a few times for next month - if any body has these channels, I,m willing to pay for a recorded copy.

It looks like a damn good movie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE