Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but, inspired by the BBC's recent showing of Cast Away, I thought it might be interesting for to compare notes with fellow forum goers on any bushcrafty movies we may have seen. Any recommendations for films or discussions on/criticism of the techniques portrayed in them would be most welcome.

I'll start with a recommendation; Hell in the Pacific. An American and Japanese pilot crash land on a desert island during WW2 and have to buschcraft it for a while. The film is mainly about the relationship of these two men on opposite sides who are eventually forced to unite in order to survive on the island... only for it all to go horribly wrong when they finally return to civilisation. There is very little dialogue in the film (and even a large amount of what is there is in Japanese) and as such I think the film definitely highlights the simple unifying power of bushcraft as something we can all understand, both for the protagonists and for the viewer.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
'The Hunted' is quite a new film starring Tommy Lee Jones and has a few bits about tracking, knife and flint making - basically a trained killer is on the lose after seeing action and jones (his teacher) is the only one who can track him.

Another one I loved as a kid was 'Grizzly Adams', there was a few snippets of bushcraft on most episodes, but just the outdoor scenes was enough to get me going.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Oh, now don't laugh - but there is an episode of dads army where the professionals! are having a lecture on living off the land, (roast hedgehog in mud)

Sorry, hope no ones eating breakfast while reading this!!

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Point Last Seen. It had Linda Hamilton (Sarah Conner in the Terminator)
as a tracker looking for a lost girl in the desert

Quite a few bits about the art of tracking

Channel five played it a few months back

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
There's another film worth mentioning - called "Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy. Set (I think) in Alaska, it has stunning photography.

Best wishes

Bruce

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I found the movie "SnowWalker" to be very interesting. About a bush pilot in the Northwest territories of Canada that crash lands on the tundra when transporting a young Inuit woman to a hospital.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
bushwacker bob said:
Isn't 'Walkabout' about survival in the bush?
Jenny Agater ;)
Ahh, now you mention it thats the only bit I remember![/QUOTE]

Ah yes, plenty of that kind of bush, but that's not quite what I meant... ;)

Oh, and Wally from Croc Dundee is the Dad who tops himself in the beginning.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Walkabout was pretty good, though it's funny to read the reviews. Back when it was released the big whoptydoo was the frontal nudity, and today the main discussion seems to be all the killed animals.How times change.

I'm about to watch Snow Walker tomorrow btw. http://www.snowwalkerthemovie.com/

Looks like a movie right up our alley so to speak :)

*Edit* Oh boy.. what a movie =) It's beautiful, it's gripping, and it has a lot of bushcrafting. I just love it when you find a relatively unknown movie and it turns out to be brilliant. This will definately be a must-have for my dvd collection.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
HuBBa said:
I'm about to watch Snow Walker tomorrow btw. http://www.snowwalkerthemovie.com/

Looks like a movie right up our alley so to speak :)

*Edit* Oh boy.. what a movie =) It's beautiful, it's gripping, and it has a lot of bushcrafting. I just love it when you find a relatively unknown movie and it turns out to be brilliant. This will definately be a must-have for my dvd collection.

Just got the DVDo of the snow walker, and i have to agree with you HuBBa - it is a cracking good film, thoroughly enjoyed it.. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oooh wow!! That looks good! I'm going on Amazon to see if I can get it. Cheers for the link, a really good clip that looks as good as if not better than the edge, one of my favourite films!

Edit: I've done a quick search and can only find it on region 1 DVD. Any ideas when it will be released in UK?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Wow that Snowwalker looks really good,i shall have to look out for a copy myself.Anyone seen Pathfinder,i think its a Norwegian film?.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Oh,i think ive mentioned this before but ive a film given to me by a mate a real film buff,the film is called Dersu Uzala,its a Russian film and its great.Iam 100% confident that everyone would like it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE