Bear Grylls To Be New Chief Scout!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Kids think putting 4 or 5 mentos in their mouth and swigging coke at the same time is a good idea. It doesn't mean it is.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
We are playing a "wide game" over the hills tonight, the lads will have heard the news by now!
I can't wait to see all the little Bears.:cool:
IMHO and work colleagues this is great news for the Scouts, we are all there for the young people, I'll let you know what THEY think.

Cheers
Scouter
We're over at Rough Close tonight for widegames too - we'll be doing a bit of Bear Grylls style larking around with the cubs.

We've already had a few phone calls from parents worried that it might be raining... my answer can now be "Would Bear Grylls be put off by a bit of rain??"*

*Answer: as long as his hotel room has a hairdryer he'll be fine ;)

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Kids think putting 4 or 5 mentos in their mouth and swigging coke at the same time is a good idea. It doesn't mean it is.

Unless forced by their parents, what a kid thinks about Scouts is the prime thing that determines if they join or not. That opinion can come from many sources: friends who are scouts already, family members involved, or what they hear on the school grapevine. Their opinion in this case actually matters, because if they don't come through the door on troop night, Scout groups die.

So... 2 scenarios:

1) a new chief scout is appointed who has been in the movement for decades, has done wonders for their local groups and is a marvelous administrator and innovater (especially in encouraging outdoor activities). Kids (non-members) reaction: well, there won't be one, because it won't be noticed by them - why should it be? Therefore no discernable result on the ground.

2) a new chief scout is appointed who is an ex-scout, and has recently appeared on TV (doing death defying stuff that has kids glued to the set going "oooh!" and "Ah" and thinking "that looks cool"). Kids (non-members) possible reaction: "did you hear? XX is the new chief scout, maybe it's not so dorky/nerdy/whatever after all". Maybe membership goes up as a result.

In which scenario is Scouting better off?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
:rolleyes:
Unless forced by their parents, what a kid thinks about Scouts is the prime thing that determines if they join or not. That opinion can come from many sources: friends who are scouts already, family members involved, or what they hear on the school grapevine. Their opinion in this case actually matters, because if they don't come through the door on troop night, Scout groups die.

So... 2 scenarios:

1) a new chief scout is appointed who has been in the movement for decades, has done wonders for their local groups and is a marvelous administrator and innovater (especially in encouraging outdoor activities). Kids (non-members) reaction: well, there won't be one, because it won't be noticed by them - why should it be? Therefore no discernable result on the ground.

2) a new chief scout is appointed who is an ex-scout, and has recently appeared on TV (doing death defying stuff that has kids glued to the set going "oooh!" and "Ah" and thinking "that looks cool"). Kids (non-members) possible reaction: "did you hear? XX is the new chief scout, maybe it's not so dorky/nerdy/whatever after all". Maybe membership goes up as a result.

In which scenario is Scouting better off?
I guess it depends on how many kids copy Bear and what the out of court settlements cost the charity

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Of course kids will be impressed and will join the waiting list for places that is already as long as your arm due to ADULTs not becoming leaders or helpers.
My Great-Nephew and Great Niece are in the position that they love Scouts but their local Troop just failed due to the LEADERS quitting!

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I can see a positive to this... kids seem to like him and he does have some positive atributes when it comes to public service... but... I just cant get into the idea... my memories of scouting are almost opposite to his get up and go manner... in Australia scouts is becomming a joke compared to what I did, its so safety and such concious now that if a kid stubbs his toe the investigations will blow ones mind... not that they could, they are all wrapped in cotton wool...lol

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
None of the kids in our pack are under any illusions that Bear Grylls' antics are "normal behaviour".

They know it's just for TV (and that's what parents are for, and leaders, to tell them what's appropriate).

So we will explain that once they are adults they can eat as many scorpions as they like just like Bear, but while they are in Cubs they have to have cornflakes like everyone else.

These are children we're talking around - they won't be taming wild horses or skiing down glaciers, so what Bear does on TV is not going to lead them astray.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Well, that ought put a bit umph back into the organisation. I don't know why people dislike him really. I helped out recently with the local troop and I can tell you a bit more Bears would not have gone astray.

Stephen

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Not sure which shops, but its a new commercial idea in America. I first read about it in 2005 in a book called "Born To Shop" about marketing tactics aimed at children.

Seems its still going on
http://community.feministing.com/2008/10/***-of-the-day-girl-scouts-hav.html
You get a badge for the Mall sleepover:(

Hi Firecrest..

Thanks for that. Interesting link and article I've never visited a feminist website before.
So it would appear to be going on in the US. Does it happen in the UK?? I ask as the context of the thread is BG's appointment as Chief Scout for the UK ( as well as a few other things ;) ) and UK scouting.

Cheers

John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A Scout is to be trusted.

The man is a self confessed faker. If he cannot follow the Scout Law he has no business representing them.

When I was a scout, honesty and integrity and the values of being a scout meant something. It was an "honour code" we were proud of those things. Just "getting out and having an adventure" what not was scouting was about - things like truth, honour and honesty had a meaning.

I am truly saddened that the meaning of the Scout Law has been so devalued as to welcome a cheat and a dishonest self publicist as its ambassador - to me it corrupts the underlying values of scouting.

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Many of the replies appear to be based on the I like him I don't premise...you miss the bigger picture...

Judging by the large number of replies posted in less than 24 hours...the scout movement has already achieved what it has set out to do...create debate and interest around the scout movement.

Stovie jr has already asked if we will see him at camp...If I can wrangle it, I will...

35% of my scouts are girls...and they do exactly what the boys do, and often better...and we're not talking needlework...You've all seen the pictures...

The movement is stronger now than it has been since the 70's...much of it to do with RM and BG...my own group based in a small village has a membership of 85 and growing...

Leaders, leaders, leaders...

Peter Duncan made good ground and I think BG will continue...Nobody's past is perfect, but there comes a time when you have to see beyond the foibles of youth.

I for one look forward to seeing how it pans out...

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Johnboy - I hope it doesnt go on in the UK. I remember as a child not wanting to join the girl guides as I was under the impression they randomly knocked on the doors of little old ladies and offered to do their washing up. This struck terror in my anti-social little heart and I could not be persuaded to join! I wanted to be a scout but they didnt have it for girls (at least not what I was aware at the time)

Addressing this to no-one impaticular just those that think `kids love bear`
Going back to Bear and the general consensus that kids think he is `cool` its probably because your asking a specific type of kid. I dislike him but as a child Id have hated him with disgust and venom, I see him as unessisarily cruel towards animals and I would have been deeply upset to watch his programes as a kid. He may attract some kids to scouts, probably some ones who might otherwise be typing fireworks to cats and lets hope it has a positive effect on them, but it does not mean it his persona is liked by all children and could be more devivise than people realise - children who might otherwise have joined the scouts to learn and enjoy the outdoors might get the wrong impression that its actually all about survivalism and biting the heads of animals. You wont get to hear the opinions of those children because like me and my false girl-guide impression, they simply will not turn up.

S

Scouter

I'll let you know what THEY think.

Well, we all met on the NT car park and I asked what they thought of the new Chief Scout, only one had heard the news so I explained who Bear was. You know the feeling when you have lit the touch paper, they all knew who he was, I just stepped aside. "Cool, neat, the mad guy who jumps out of helicopter, the man who eats anything, sick, bad " the last two are actually a grand complement from a 13 year old ( oh I wish I was sick ???).

Our veggie cried;) ...

I feel that there is a bit of a mix up between fake and performing for TV, can you imagine a program that starts "we are going to jump off a cliff into a pool" then sitting watching the TV while you see people walking for 10 miles to the site, my Scouts understand. Bear is demonstrating skills, it is not real life.

There are a lot of things that big kids (40ish) do that little kids copy and enjoy together. Mentos and cola, bin liner hot air balloons, remote fire lighting, water bombs, flower cakes to name but a few. Talk to young people and find out what they are thinking, assuming is a dangerous pass time.

If you wonder what happens after Scouts I have just got back from the pub.

Good night :rolleyes:
Scouter

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Well, it looks like the scouts have gone for the old dictum 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' ( a few of our elected MP's might disagree with that! :rolleyes: )
Seems a bit puzzling to me if there is a long waiting list to get into them though :confused:

I know little about the organisation but reading through the posts there's obviously a shortage of leaders.
Why do you think this is?
Are people put off because mainstream folk in the current climate think you're a bit 'odd' to want to go out camping with young boys and girls? Is the current health and safety, accountability, litigious, blame culture putting people of?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE