Bear Grylls To Be New Chief Scout!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Chief Scat.Morelike.

Someone PLEASE tell me Ray was/had already been offered th job and turned it down?

Whats next , Nixon to rerun for Prez?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , I wonder if this will affect the badges that scouts can 'work' for and be awarded...??

Suggestions for the most Bear inspired Badge?

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
yes,please keep him over there. As a youth leader (AKA im 14) i really dont want a celebrity in that position. I have no idea about your system, but i know that cheif scout over here, is a very intense position, and I would be afraid that he won't be able to fufill his duties.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
good move despite reservations, he has a good tv presence and writes kids survival books so they know. rm would be no good for this as it would become one big marketing move like all his other works as he prepares for retirement.

Bg might be a showman but he;s progressive and I look forward to teaching bearcraft and survival skills.

certainly from the bulk of leaders I talk to they find that what they need to teach the kids isnt bushcraft.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
BOD , Why do you see this? Am happy to admit i'm wrong if Im wrong . I just wonder what you see as this being good news?
Genuine question.

carzydave partly said it. he has presence, kids will listen to him more than they would to RM. He could rejuvenate the movement.

Secondly, i doubt if he is as much of an idiot as we think he is. A friend of mine was approached to be the show's local survival expert and ground logistics and saw the terms of the script / contract - crew not more than 1 mile from motel etc. he turned down the contract

I suspect that our bear is, in reality, a chained dancing bear who has to perform tricks for his masters - the media - in order to be fed. If the public are not happy (ratings) the bear is not fed. Aren't we all in some way unless entirely self employed.?

Given a new direction and an opportunity away from the entertainment media, he may well develop into a good role model for the young.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I think it's quite a shrewd move on behalf of the Scouting movement. BG has for the most part a positive media image with the mainstream population and he definately has the ability to inspire children and young people.

I was instructing with a group of 11-14 year olds here in NZ ( not scouts just kids from a cross section of society) on a 'bushcraft' experience day and the kids constantly kept refering to him and the 'cool stuff' he does (We get 'Man v's Wild' here on Discovery and also on Prime a terrestial channel). He definately had inspired them to try the day's course we were offering. Which can only be a good thing. I assume the same is true of young people in the UK. I guess in an environment where concern is raised about childhood obesity and a whole bundle of related issues. Having someone that young people can relate to and that inspires them to get outdoors is a totally positive move.

I noted on Scouting UK's website the views were totally positive.

http://scouts.org.uk/news_view.php?news_id=185

Cheers

John

Mang

Settler
I agree with BOD, Im really looking forward to him being our Chief Scout. Let's be honest, the Scout Association aren't going to let him do any daredevil jumping off of cliffs in front of the youth.

It was rumoured that our new Chief Scout to be visited the Scout stand at the outdoors show, Bear was there promoting Craghoppers stuff so the rumour grew.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
According to the press release, Bear Grylls will focus on 'increasing Scoutings national profile', whilst a chap called Wayne Bulpitt will focus on 'mangaing and leading the movements Leaders and Volunteers'.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Leaving aside what people think about his TV shows (I enjoy them myself), I reckon Bear Grylls will be poplular with the young people and will reinforce our passion for giving kids the opportunity to experience fun and adventure.

After years of stagnation, the movement is on the up and I think this is a good move.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A badge for the bearcraft award scheme, The over dramatisation badge, to be awarded for the proven over dramatisation of all activities over one week, from sliding down the stairs after reaching the penultimate step only to be saved by a handy dressing gown cord, or to create some edible morsel from the crumbs in the crisping tray at the bottom of the fridge, and a suspect bit of bread, all done whilst having a facial expression that would suggest you've`e just been to the doctors on your fortieth birthday for a man exam:eek:

but on the serious side I think his enthusiasm and drive could only be a good thing for role, despite his TV show he is quite an inspirational chap,

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Hes just done quite a frank an honest interveiw on the BBC breakfast news show. Accompainied by a scout and a guide i must amit i thought he did a decent job especially when answer the question 'the scoutmovemet encourages positive contribution to society and honesty do you not think that as the cheif scout thats hypercyritcal as you where caught faking parts of your program?' (or words to that effect).

already bring more media coverage to the movement cant be a bad thing surely? Hes certainly stricking while the iron is hot. Good luck to them both

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I think it's an excellent idea! Good on him.

Hear hear. Despite how much everyone slates his programme I admire him, not just what he's done in his life (SAS, youngest to climb Everest etc.) but also the positive persona he also puts across in his interviews. I seem to remember that Ray Mears called him 'a boy scout' in some interview he gave in the Radio Times, to which Bear responded to the effect of 'That's great! I loved being in the Scouts' - bet this has wiped the smile off Mearsy's chubby face hahahahahahahahaha:lmao:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The weird thing about Bear, is that when he is interviewed he comes across really well, and not at all like his TV shows.

I can't stand the TV shows, but the three or four times I've heard him interviewed, I have really liked him.

I suspect, in spite of the impression given by the TV programs, he will make a really good job of being Chief Scout.

Graham

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I think it's great - our Cubs love Bear Grylls and anything that gets them interested in the outdoors and not their Playstation is a very good thing.

The chances of them emulating his more extreme feats are minimal - not too many scorpians in Warwickshire!

He'll have trouble teaching them bushcraft without knives. Maybe they can do it 'old school' and gnaw on sticks with their incisors.
Why's that? You can identify plants, track animals, practice navigating, build shelters, plan a walking route... all without a knife. We do loads of bushcrafty activities without the use of knives and if needed we show them how (and supervise them doing so too).

These are Cubs / Scouts not Royal Marines - knife skills are a small part of being in the outdoors, the main thing is to get kids out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE