Bear Grylls To Be New Chief Scout!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I think that Scouting has just crash landed in the gutter!!!!! :eek:

I always thought that scout leaders were to be role models for the members. I shudder to think that impressionable scouts might try and follow in their Chief Scouts footsteps, and heaven forbid one should be injured following who many consider, one of the most dangerous and irresponsible people on TV. :( :( :( :( :(

Littlesthobo

May 16, 2009
london
Well said, it's such a joke the guy is so popular, and what's more he was not in the full time SAS, as is often stated, but the part time territorial version.

Don't get me wrong I'm not belittling being in the TA as I myself was in it once, but there is a big difference between being a regular SAS soldier and a TA weekend warrior version. And of course he never mentions this, preferring instead to imply, by omission, that he was in it full time.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I agree with BOD, Im really looking forward to him being our Chief Scout. Let's be honest, the Scout Association aren't going to let him do any daredevil jumping off of cliffs in front of the youth.

Agreed, but the kids will watch him doing stupid and dangerous things on TV.

Looks like Gilwell didnt think of that!!:confused: :11doh: :11doh: :11doh: :11doh: :11doh:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
personally i dont like his tv programs but he seems a good guy cos he would not have achevieed what he has if he didnt have some sort of level headedness and persona and dedication and also seems like nice guy from his interviews.
so bear being a scout cheif yes its agood thing but please note i am a MR RAYMOND MEARS fan and always will be and , i would like to think Ray would bring a whole different set of cards to the table and would possibly do just as good of a job as bear might or might not do.

the only thing i will say is, is the Proof is in the Pudding

drew

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
edit - Brownies
now includes make up tips and mall sleepsovers. funded by the shops in the mall.

Really which shops??

Littlesthobo said:
but there is a big difference between being a regular SAS soldier and a TA weekend warrior version

Indeed there is. However completing UKSF(R) selection is quite an accomplishment even if you do the STAB version. I find this comment actually quite offensive as it does belittle everyone who has either attempted or passed the course. Not just BG....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hes gone up in my estimation.

But hes still in the Ghetto of `People who have not attended our Bushmoot`

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Well said, it's such a joke the guy is so popular, and what's more he was not in the full time SAS, as is often stated, but the part time territorial version.

Don't get me wrong I'm not belittling being in the TA as I myself was in it once, but there is a big difference between being a regular SAS soldier and a TA weekend warrior version. And of course he never mentions this, preferring instead to imply, by omission, that he was in it full time.

Same selection :rolleyes:

Could you pass it

GS

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Same selection :rolleyes:

Could you pass it

GS

Ditto.

I rib some colleagues about SAS = 'Saturdays and Sundays' and SBS = 'Saturdays But not Sundays'; however, they know I'm only messing and I know I couldn't pass selection for the regulars or for the TA versions. Bottom line: they are all Tier 1 SF and I'm glad they're on our side.

Bear Grylls says on his website and books that he was in the TA SAS - it is the soundbite publicists who shorten this to 'he was in the SAS' (which, actually, he was).

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I find it amazing that this is the best the Scouts can come up with:confused:

As far as popularity goes; I'm not convinced he's popular at all. Infamous for his lame stupidity perhaps but hardly popular.

A person who will happily fake the results of all manner of skills and then claim proficiency in them, is not the sort of person I would want to represent any group that I was involved with.

Here's a classic example of the mans deceipt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

As far as attracting new leaders, well I suppose any publicity is better than none.

The fact is that this bloke is just a light weight, TV entertainer, he's obviously milking the system while he can.

So:
deceitful,frugal with the truth at best.

If I was a Scout leader; I'd be both concerned and very disappointed;)

RB

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

I`M OFF TOPIC

By making that statement you have shown a complete lack of knowledge of the subject, what`s the differences between the two, enlighten me, is the training any different, are the op`s any different any less work involved:rant: any less risk,

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I`M OFF TOPIC

By making that statement you have shown a complete lack of knowledge of the subject, what`s the differences between the two, enlighten me, is the training any different, are the op`s any different any less work involved:rant: any less risk,
I think that the answer is Yes to all of those questions.
They have longer to complete basic training, train only at weekends, have more time to complete the Long drag training, do less Jumps. The end of the selection is the first time many will do two week of training in one go, until their two weeks at Brize Norton.
As for risk all soldiers are at risk when on active duty, medic’s camp cooks, forklift drives. Whether the TA SAS are not up to much, that is rubbish, I work with a chap who explained that when he was on ‘exercise’ they had a group of TA SAS infiltrate their camp, and stick yellow stickers on everyone that they could have killed. Many people on guard had been picked.
He did mention by way of an aside, the Ghurkha who were on excises with them collected the stickers, and returned them, at night.
One thing I do know is that TA SAS are the only civilians allowed to join the Regular SAS (but only after three years of TA duty)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border

Why does every discussion about Bear Grylls end up with the same unfounded statements being made about the TA? In one previous thread another esteemed member on here couldnt wait to point this distinction out, and how Bear was 'a bit of a walt really'. If the training is that defficient and below par with regular selection then why even bother to have these units?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4162338.ece

I guess these blokes were 'Walts' as well. By continuing to dredge up this distinction you are insulting all of the Territorial servicemen who are actively serving and have served. Just because you were 'in' yourself is completely irrelevent. So wind your neck in, stop talking out of your bum and give people the respect they are due:aargh4:

Sorry to hijack the thread once again, but this really gets my goat.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Really which shops??

Indeed there is. However completing UKSF(R) selection is quite an accomplishment even if you do the STAB version. I find this comment actually quite offensive as it does belittle everyone who has either attempted or passed the course. Not just BG....

Not sure which shops, but its a new commercial idea in America. I first read about it in 2005 in a book called "Born To Shop" about marketing tactics aimed at children.

Seems its still going on
http://community.feministing.com/2008/10/***-of-the-day-girl-scouts-hav.html
You get a badge for the Mall sleepover:(

S

Scouter

We are playing a "wide game" over the hills tonight, the lads will have heard the news by now!
I can't wait to see all the little Bears.:cool:
IMHO and work colleagues this is great news for the Scouts, we are all there for the young people, I'll let you know what THEY think.

Cheers
Scouter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE