Bear Grylls New Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Using that logic it must mean that
AWwoodlore.jpg
Ray must be forgetful as well....:confused:

Yes they did....
No, its so Ray cna tell Alan wood alan's name, and everydody else can telll Ray his...

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
I'm not sure whether Gerber give two hoots about whether their intended market are actually allowed to use this product, they just wanna sell 'em!! Also I think it's more aimed at the American market as at the moment their knife laws seem less restrictive than here (please correct me if I'm wrong , I know the laws vary between states).
At the end of the day, knife manufacturers need to sell knives in any way they can, so if their market research found a BG endorsement would help sell more units then I guess that's why they're doing this.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen

Mind you i didn't like his other knife (signed by a kid with hypothermia and a felt tip) and i can't stand the man anyway so i may be classed as biased.

i nearly slapped the lass in the Craghoppers outlet store near us when she tried to steer me towards "Bear" branded gear.

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
I just don't like it!
The Bayley knife although not to my taste was obviously very well made.
I'm not even sure the last time Gerber made a sharp knife never mind a decent one :(

Garish colours, awful semi serrated blade, crappy looking sheath and the BG branding is awful!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen

Mind you i didn't like his other knife (signed by a kid with hypothermia and a felt tip) and i can't stand the man anyway so i may be classed as biased.

i nearly slapped the lass in the Craghoppers outlet store near us when she tried to steer me towards "Bear" branded gear.

I dropped in on the Crags shop in Freeport a couple of weeks back and nearly burst out laughing at the "Actionman Camo" BG gear and nearly fainted at the price of it....I got what I wanted at another outlet in Freeport (strangely enough it was owned by the same parent company but was better than either Regata or Crags ...and I got free crags insect repellant as I spent over £25...on stuff so discounted as to be CHEAP!
I am not sure which is worse - the knife or the cammo jackets...

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I dropped in on the Crags shop in Freeport a couple of weeks back and nearly burst out laughing at the "Actionman Camo" BG gear and nearly fainted at the price of it....I got what I wanted at another outlet in Freeport (strangely enough it was owned by the same parent company but was better than either Regata or Crags ...and I got free crags insect repellant as I spent over £25...on stuff so discounted as to be CHEAP!
I am not sure which is worse - the knife or the cammo jackets...

Does it repel "Bears" as well?:D

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
Talking about the saws on survival knives. I'm sure I read somewhere that some of them were not intended as proper saws, but as a means of making tinder.
By that I mean the teeth were not 'set' as in a normal saw but were used in a sawing action only to produce sawdust to aid lighting a fire.

Did I dream this or does anyone else remember this being so?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think most were designed to make notching easier rather than for use as actual sawing. The original Lile First Blood knives where meant as air cabin evac assistors and for cutting wire and cable as well as notching.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
I'm not sure whether Gerber give two hoots about whether their intended market are actually allowed to use this product, they just wanna sell 'em!! Also I think it's more aimed at the American market as at the moment their knife laws seem less restrictive than here (please correct me if I'm wrong , I know the laws vary between states).
At the end of the day, knife manufacturers need to sell knives in any way they can, so if their market research found a BG endorsement would help sell more units then I guess that's why they're doing this.

From what I've been finding out the laws here in the states are much less restrictive. The thought of having a reason for carrying any of my knives has never occurred to me. I'm not going to strap on a sheath knife until I'm already out in the bush and about to leave my car. One of my favorites is an Uncle Henry hunting folder that came out in 1972, that I got from my dad, it has a 4 inch blade and locks. From what I understand and I could be wrong, if in the UK you are caught carrying that yhou have to be fully able to justify why you have a blade that long and a blade that locks.

The BG knife from Gerber looks very much to be targeting the survivalist mindsets here. Which typically means the guys and girls who love the gear but never practice and truly don't know anything about life in the bush, this is not to say that some of them do know what they are doing out in the woods. The knife looks "tacticool" and that will create sells. I can think of atleast 5 guys I know who will buy it if they have the money just because it looks cool.

As for the serrations on the blade I like them on some of my folders when I know I'm going to be cutting ropes as it does make it easier and faster. Putting it on a survival knife I don't fully get it as it's not going to be incredibly useful out in the bush. An actual saw blade on the back edge of the knife would be much more useful as a serrated edge isn't exactly going to be useful for trying to saw through limbs.

I really don't like this knife though and a lot of it is coming from an ascetic view point I just think it's an ugly knife. I do like the diamond sharpener built into the sheath.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm not keen on the BG knife, the style doesn't appeal to me but I don't think it's a bad knife. I have a few Gerber blades and I find the quality to be decent for the price paid (or at least the price I paid). None are pretty but they are functional.

I don't know about the BG knife but the Prodigy is a full tang and is made of a good steel. I must say I'd prefer the Prodigy if I was choosing between the two. I like the more subdued look and the handle seems to be a better shape.

I'm not keen on part serrated blades but serrations are useful for some types of cutting tasks that would be more difficult with a straight edge, such as rope or other fibrous materials. Remember the target market for this knife isn't bushcraft it's survivalists or those who want to have it handy in case of an emergency. In countries like the Americas for some people there is a risk that they could be stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have to survive for a few days with what they can find. Here in the UK there are very few places where we could find ourselves having to survive without food, water and shelter, we can just keep walking in a straight line and usually we'll come to a house after a couple of hours. When did you last read about someone dying of starvation out in the English wilderness?

We all know that almost all those who buy the BG knife are only doing it for the name stamped on it and most won't ever be used but what do I care? I've bought a few knives that I've never got around to using too.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
I wish people could get past the fact that it's "Bear Grylls". Similar knives from Gerber have been quite well rated state side especially amongst people currently serving in the forces. It's not that different from an LMF or a sog seal pup.
I don't blame anyone for cashing in, after all many of us have families.Gerber have seen an opportunity earn some extra dollars with a name on it.
Would like to see one for real though. My problem with it is serrations. They have their place but i don't feel the people that are gonna buy this will have use for them. Saying that most that buy it probbably don't have use for a knife.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Would like to see one for real though. My problem with it is serrations. They have their place but i don't feel the people that are gonna buy this will have use for them. Saying that most that buy it probbably don't have use for a knife.
I like serrations, I wouldn't buy a bread knive without them, we all eat bread in one form or another.

Last edited:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
All in all, I think if this knife didn't have so much orange or BG name on it, then we would like it a lot more. Perhaps a non serrated version would be good too. But if it puts a decent (full tang) knife in the hands of someone who might just need it for a reasonable price then I guess its not a bad thing - of course a mora would be cheaper but that's another story. As an attempt at getting several "survival" items in one package though I don't think it does a bad job - firestarter, whistle, sharpener, instructions. Its certainly better and more useful than those toy-compass-fishing-kit-in-handle Rambo things that used to be popular with certain people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE