Bear Grylls New Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
the steel is alright if it is the same type that I have on my big rock. I do have reservations about Gerber's products though: Not very hardwearing, not very aesthetically pleasing and not good for sabarage! You do get a very good knife for the £30 you pay though (just something to bash around). I am actually using my Big rock as a letter opener at the moment, because the handle (as nice as it was to start off with) wore away over about a month, and when all the grip has gone, it becomes more slippery than a waterpark.

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
Something's been bugging me about the knife and it's just clicked, it looks like something out of a 1980s Action Man box set.

I could probably use the blade but the initials on the handle spoil it for me, probably not Bears' idea but a kitsch marketing ploy.

thats exactly what i thought its got action man written all over it cheap , plastic, for kids. but i gotta say BG is good entertainment , not that i would jump into muddy water from 30ft if i was trying to survive, or eat raw frogs ,whats wrong with cooking them?but good to watch still.i dont know why people dont like him hes military trained and gets himself out of potentially dangerous situations in an entertaining way showing you just how far you can push yourself in extreme situations. hes not a bushcrafter more of a survivalist.each to there own and all that jazz.

Last edited:
Never understood the reason for the saw on the blade? Ok yeah... sawing Doh!

Just seems to be in the way if you wanted to do powerful chest cuts etc, I really don't like the design
and really don't see the point of the silly saw.
baton if need be, probably be faster too

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it's also good for cutting tendon/sinew when butchering.
It has it's uses.
I don't like them myself, but they are certainly far from useless.

Most here already state that their knives are razor sharp, so how would a serration cut any better?, also I bet most could never sharpen that section of the knife, not knowing what to do with it.

I have yet to see a serrated knife either in a butchers or a slaughter yard, and I have spent a lot of time in both. I have a standard bushy that I made that will slice straight through a deer sinew instantly, how can a serration be better?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Not realy I guess - except for the Neon scribbles, the "BG" logo on the handle, the guard shape .... the only bit I personally like of the new BG knife is the bit in front of the serrations on the blade..... but then it is a long time since I was conned by the "Cult of the Personality" school of marketing....

At least the two you show are not blatently linked to their sponsers to make a quick buck from the gullible...... (I think RM missed a trick there...or was he too embarressed by the knife to shout "ME!" about it? :D

Hi John,

I'm not really up with all the 'ins and outs' of knife lore but the Wilkinson Sword ( Dartmoor) has at one time or another been advertised as a Lofty Wiseman survival knife IIRC is that not marketing a Knife by associating it with a personality...?? Same for the other one. To me most knives of that type with a hollow handle full of survival kit are / were known as 'Rambo' knives.

As for the 'cult of personality' school of marketing. Is it fundamentally any different if a fan of Man V Wild / Bear Grylls want to spend some of their hard earned cash on some look a like clothing and a Knife endorsed and 'designed' by BG than say someone who enjoys Ray Mears programmes and buys similar endorsed clothing and a Woodlore knife ??

I personally don't think it is.

I've not used the knife nor handled it nor seen how good / bad it is. Aesthetically I agree it's a bit challenging but I've not got any idea if it's any good or not..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi John,

I'm not really up with all the 'ins and outs' of knife lore but the Wilkinson Sword ( Dartmoor) has at one time or another been advertised as a Lofty Wiseman survival knife IIRC is that not marketing a Knife by associating it with a personality...?? Same for the other one. To me most knives of that type with a hollow handle full of survival kit are / were known as 'Rambo' knives.

The Wilky Dartmoor was designed by RM and has no connection with Lofty Wiseman. Lofty designed his own knife quite similar in shape only more of a parang, he'd never been associated with the Wilky.

lofty1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dont worry - I told RM how bad I found the design of his knife before I knew it was his work.... he has not spoken to me since :)
I dont buy RM endorsed kit either - rebranded GFB axes - NO. GFB axes - YES.
Mind you , RM uses 5:11 shirts - and so do I...but I think I got there before he did so I guess he is following MY lead therre :D

I realy do not like the looks of his OR Bears "Survival" knives and would not buy either (despite being called a "Survival Expert" by several including The Sunday Times :))

I think it will serve as a good allround user..the orange details for finding is back easy on the green or brown bottom, a build in sharpening stone and a firesteel, a serrated part for cutting rope, webbong and other stuff...mmm, I wouldnt mind having something like that when the brown stuff hits the fan.....
I do not like the big initials on the handle...but's thats a marketing thing.

atb,

Jan

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi all,
My stepdaughter has just joined the Air training Corps and I 've noticed that 'fieldcraft' has become a very important part of the ATC since my days as a cadet. I'm convinced this knife is aimed purely at this youth 'market', along with all the army surplus they're encouraged to buy the 'tactical' styling fits very well. Although the UK ATC/ACF/Scout market isn't huge, the scope for sales within the US market is massive and Gerber are just placing an adapted existing product within a 'new' market. Having BG endorse the knife (and other products) is going to attract the youth 'adventure' crowd to these products like the proverbial flies to horsey poo......!

OK, I'm trying to hate it but it's functional and easily seen with the orange bits. I think they've got a winner.

p.s. Didn't the original Rambo knives sell by the bucketloads?

Dave.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Now you mention it, I can see Scouts using "but it was designed by the Chief Scout" as an excuse to take it to camp.

Although the UK ATC/ACF/Scout market isn't huge,

I don't know about the ATC/ACF, but the Scouts have 100,000 adults and 400,000 young people between 6-25.
That's a pretty big market if you ask me.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'd have to say if one of my cadets turned up with this or any other non edc legal type i'd tell them to leave it with there rents,no need. my only problem with any knife aimed at the survival market, is that the best survival knife is the one you have on you at the time of you life's deteriation into a survival situation, for me it would probable be sak of some sort and a leatherman as i will pretty much always have one or the other on my person( unless i'm flying but the i'll use some wrekage if i couldn't find my knife in the hold). so unless you intend to use this knife everytime you go on an adventure that could see you miles from help. I guess I just don't get it really. I know it's a marketing thing ans a money spinner for both. also why inclued only the ground to air signals why not a shortend fire,shelter,shock guide as well?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
p.s. Didn't the original Rambo knives sell by the bucketloads?

Jimmy Lile only made 100 of them. They were high end customs that retailed for about £800 each. Worth about five times that amount now.

The cheapo £5.99 version with the bubble compass that was made in Taiwan sold in their millions in the 1980's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE