bear grylls ''Bailey'' knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I'm not too keen on the knife but I like the horizontal sheath. I wonder if I can get one made for my Fjallkniven F1

:D Of course you can :D I made something in a similar some of idea a while back. But not with the Bear Grill Logo on the strap! Can't do that bit...:cool:

DSCN0019-3.jpg

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
At least Les Stroud, when he carries a knife other than the one with his multi-tool, carries a Buck 119. That's available at my local Wally World for $34. A week with him and his harmonica in the boonies might get old...

That Bayley knife did start my 'ultimate bushcraft knife' quest a year ago. I have since spent more, no doubt, than the Grylls knife - but I have a bucket full of candidates, one even has a horizontal sheath... okay, it's nylon. The Buck 005GYS - I reviewed it here earlier this year. It cost me ~$60 delivered here - probably what the s/h on the Bayley would run. I haven't tried serving termites on it - yet.

Yeah - an RC-4 with, or for me, without serrations - probably a better candidate. Now we need "The Frugal Survivalist".

Stainz

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
:D Of course you can :D I made something in a similar some of idea a while back. But not with the Bear Grill Logo on the strap! Can't do that bit...:cool:

DSCN0019-3.jpg

That's a good one !! I'm not a leatherworker but I've had a word with one of the "Boys" and there will be a prototype in the making for me very soon:D

I just meant most people here could make a knife as good. Of course you can bring a bought knife, but I love the satisfaction of using a knife I made or handled myself.

As for the Bailey knife (particularly the Bear Grylls) I think it is priced high because of the association of Bear Grylls. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred quid for the basic knife, maybe less because it has serrations which I'd have to grind off. With the signature? More grinding.

Compare that to the Woodlore. I think the knife is fundamentally worth about £60 to me, a bit more with the sheath. But the historical and cultural significance is worth another hundred and with Mr Mears association, maybe £50 more still. The same would go for Les Stroud, but I respect that he hasn't cashed in.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have noticed one thing about the Bear Grylls knife from watching his programme, it seems to be really blunt!

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Just a quick heads up to anyone who wants a horizontal carry sheath for an F1, check out these: http://www.jreindustries.com/fallkniven.htm, I have one on order, so will let you know what it's like when I get it.....

Hey Giles

Just searching an old thread for horizontal sheaths and found this. I couldn't find the promised review though :rolleyes:

I like the look of those JRE sheaths. How do you rate yours and your experience of dealing with the company?

Cheers

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE