BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't think it is really a hot area for ticks. There are no deer, not even little ones, and the dunes are not grazed by sheep. I would be far more worried about all the thorns that the local vegitation carries, rather than the bugs!!
Brambles, rose and buckthorn :yikes:

Rhoda got chomped by some kind of bug at the tracking course, but I didn't hear anyone else had a problem. What do you expect crawling about in the undergrowth in your bare feet in the middle of the night anyway!?!?! :rolmao:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just wondering, is there an Emergency contact for the site, only reason I ask is that my Grandads recently been taken into hospital again and I'm pretty sure last time I was there I had very little mobile signal (mind you was probably the fact that I didn't check the mbl much for 2 days :p )

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Sorry guys, been out of the loop camping for a couple of weeks- Can I pay membership on this weekend (as well as for the weekend?) Also can I get my paws on a couple of those luuverrly badges?

See you tommorow!
Blue Sky, Jim. :pack:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
lithril said:
Just wondering, is there an Emergency contact for the site, only reason I ask is that my Grandads recently been taken into hospital again and I'm pretty sure last time I was there I had very little mobile signal
Sorry to hear that matt :-( I don't think there is a central contact number. Mobile signals can be a problem, but on the tracking weekend we found different areas of the woodland were goo for different networks.... Maybe you should camp where your mobile works.

JimFSC said:
Can I pay membership on this weekend (as well as for the weekend?) Also can I get my paws on a couple of those luuverrly badges?
Not sure about membership or badges (but probably) but you can pay for the meetup on the door so to speak.... I'm gonna have to as my paypal needs verifying....

Ed

Ed

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Judging by some of the previous posts in this thread there are several people paying on the gate I'd imagine you'd be more than welcome too drag a seat up by the fire.

:D

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Lithril said:
Judging by some of the previous posts in this thread there are several people paying on the gate I'd imagine you'd be more than welcome too drag a seat up by the fire.

:D
Cheers Lithril.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I second the TheViking's words. I am jealous but you guys enjoy the weekend and tell us all about it when you get back.

If you do one next year I am on my way even if I have to swim there.

James

J

Jamie

Well all....am almost packed and ready to go. To those that are going this weekend see you there! To those that arent, hope to see you at the next one!

Happy trails!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hope you all have a good time and we want pics and stories when you get back. I will try and make the next one but I'm in Athens from Saturday so I will have to make do with that.

Bill

jakunen

Native
Just wanted to say thanx to Tony and the crew for setting the meet up.:biggthump

Was a fantastic event, loads of very knowledgeable folks only too happy to share tips and tricks.
Even the scores of kids were pretty well behaved and didn't have any of us reaching for the axe/gollock/knife...:wink:

Already looking forward to MM part II.

Thanx once again guys!:You_Rock_

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I second that Jak. :super:

Excellent location, excellent company, learned loads and even the wife enjoyed it :biggthump

Thanks to all, those that organised and those that went to share.

Cheers

Mark

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Big thankyou to everyone that was there.... you really made this an excellent first meetup. Nice to put names to faces at last.... I can't wait for the next one

I will try and make the next one
Well if we can we will try to hold 4 meets a year (thats the plan).... but its alot of organising, finding land etc.... but hopefully it wont be long till we can all get together again to share knowlege skills and stories with each other :)

By the way.... WELL DONE JACK!!! he made fire by friction for the first time over the weekend, as alot did with daves expert tuition. Well done to all :)

Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Thanks to everyone who came and brought their knowledge to share. The meetup was a resounding success :eek:):

Those of you who have pictures please put them up, i was running around so much I only managed to take a couple.

Here are a few of Peters forging workshop.

forging.jpg

forging2.jpg

forging3.jpg

and one of Chris bow workshop:

bow.jpg

many thanks to all who were there many people remarked that they had learnt a great deal myself included and thats what the meetup was all about :You_Rock_

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I second that Ed, Thanks to all that attended it really was rather wonderful. Both I and my better half Fiona had a great time.
My special thanks for the inspiration go to Peter for forging a knife on site and dragging all the kit do so with him, anvils and all.
The General who really does know his blades and how to sharpen then. - Jamie will have to shave the other leg to match.
Laurel and Hardy i mean Jack and Jamie for keeping us giggling all weekend and Kaths foxwalk had me in tears ! :rolmao:
The boy Genius - Stuart, and Ed for their brief explanation of trapping.
All the rest of us that attended for making it worthwhile. :You_Rock_
I've got yet more kit and some more to order, some new projects to try, people i wanna meet up with and others to PM.
All in all thanks everyone for a great weekend.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE