BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
sorry if i seemed anti-social at he meet-up, i had other things on my mind and these things meant i had to leave early in the end.

but anyway, cheers to Tony and other organizers, and people who did demos, i learnt loads.
oh and i got some (hopefully good) photos of sunrise over the dunes on saturday morning, so i'll post them up when they're developed.

cheers gb

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Sounds fab, I'm gutted I couldn't be there - I'm gonna book annual leave for the next one instead of leaving fate in the hands of the duty planners at work.

Glad you all had a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics. :biggthump

leon-1

Martyn said:
Sounds fab, I'm gutted I couldn't be there - I'm gonna book annual leave for the next one instead of leaving fate in the hands of the duty planners at work.

Glad you all had a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics. :biggthump

Your not the only one who is gutted, I was supposed to be there and at the last minute my lift fell through :aargh4:, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that stuff. Hopefully I will meet some of you at the Wilderness Gathering in a couple of weeks, but from the sounds of it a big well done to Tone and Stuart and alll who contributed to making it a good weekend :biggthump

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Well I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves really does sound like you had alot of fun and learnt loads. My eyes were already green so no one can see how jealous I am.

Any chance the next one can be within easy reach of an Airport or better yet Northern Ireland It's still in the UK :wink:

James

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Incidentally - further to one of the questions asked about always hammering right-handed, I offer the following as a caution:

dangermast.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think arcticfire should do a lecture on stalking at the next meetup

I have never seen anyone so quite and inconspicuous i think i only spotted him two or three times over the whole weekend

many thanks though for helping set up the teaching aids for the Trapping demo

by the way all the books i made reference too in the trapping demo are now listed in the BCUK BOOK SHOP in the game category

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Thanks to all the organisers and everyone I met at the weekend for making it what it was, a brilliant weekend.
It was so nice to see people from all walks of life with a common interest in bush craft just click like we did.
I’m looking forward to the next one already.
Oh and a super thanks to Mother Nature for giving us a break for a couple of days.

Thanks again everyone...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
This weekend was WAY too short to do everything! It quite simply was not possible to get to all the demonstrations and workshops and still have time to talk to new friends, or do more trivial things like eat and sleep! :roll:

It is a great shame that more people couldn’t have come. The atmosphere was fantastic and the site had space for a lot more people. :pack: There, just in case you weren’t feeling bad enough already. :eek:):

I can’t tell you how worrying it is to realise that Stuart and I over ran our time by the same amount! :yikes: The thought that I talked as much as Stuart is quite scary. :shock: Many thanks to everyone who stuck with me :You_Rock_ , and my deepest apologies to those who didn’t!!!

General Wayne, sorry I didn’t get to spend longer with you and get you shooting a bit more. I think you may well have felt what it is that appeals to people about low-tech archery. We’ll have to see what we can arrange for the next meet up or something.

My mum wanted me to thank everyone and say what a great time she had, even if she did chicken out of the full-on camping part!

Other people have said what I feel far more eloquently than I can. It was a super weekend marred only by being too short! Even the weather held up.

No way the Wilderness Gathering could be as much fun!!!! :nana: Up the BCUK gathering! :super:

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Kath said:
Blimey did it rain and thunder after you lot left! I spent the night watching the tree above me in case it got hit by lightning!

See Tony, I told you it was going to rain! :nana:

Thanks to everyone involved for a great weekend. Great excuse to get away from work for a while!. It was nice to meet everyone and put faces to all the names.

Learnt a lot from all the different talks and have already been practising my tracking back at home. (Trying hard to persuade her indoors to let me go on some Shadowhawk courses - wine and chocolates may be bringing her round to my way of thinking! :naughty: )

Hope to see people again soon at the Wilderness Gathering. :)

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
C_Claycomb said:
I can’t tell you how worrying it is to realise that Stuart and I over ran our time by the same amount! :yikes: The thought that I talked as much as Stuart is quite scary. :shock:
:
Stuart and yourself done well with putting two very large subject into the short time you had.

:You_Rock_

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i popped in for a brief visit sunday afternoon. i was a bit bemused by every square foot of space being filled by people furiously sawing away at bow drills, some squealing loud enough to set your fillings rattling.

all in all it looked like a good'un, sorry to have missed it.:super:

i went down with a load of kit for several forumites, and none of them were there! oh well 7Ps eh?

cheers, and.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
It was a brilliant event, and it was just great meeting everyone

One of my favourite things is listening to and watching people who really know and love their subject - the meetup was great for this

I'm gonna start a thread in the blog section about my experiences, kit, etc etc...

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
pictures!!!! :photo:

come on guys and girls i know lots of you took pictures lets see um
I made a drawing if that helps Stuart! :eek:):

I had a great time there and it was great to see old faces (well, not that old! :wink: ) and new faces alike.

Tone - Great to see you again! Nice to see that all your hard work paid off! :biggthump You made this all possible! Excellent stuff!

Jack & Jamie - You two are wasted in the woods and should have a comedy show! :rolmao: Not only did I have a great time talking to you you both converted me from an axe user to a billhook user :eek:):

Ed - You have amazing outdoor skills ... great to listen to you talk in the trapping lecture and also of your outdoor escapades! :biggthump

Chris C - You are a craftsman, no doubt. I loved seeing your work and thanks for some insight into how to work with wood. Also, thanks for the spare bow you had that you gave me! :biggthump

Also, special thanks to your Mum for all her hard work sewing the hems on my trousers :eek:): I really enjoyed talking to her, she's an amazing person!

Stuart & Cindy - An absolute pleasure to meet you both again! I really enjoyed the lectures you gave Stuart and your knowledge of the area is amazing!

Bow Drill Dave (DG) - Always a pleasure talking to you :super: Your skills not just with the bow drill but also your teaching style is simply amazing. I've never seen so many bow drill fires in one place at one time. You have a real gift for passing on knowledge and you are very generous with your time and skills.

Roving Rich - Great to meet up again. Always a pleasure chatting to you!

Sargey - Glad you could make it on the Sunday :biggthump Somehow it didn't seem right without you there!

Rhoda - Thanks for even more insight into tracking ... you are very generous with your time and skills! Much appreciated!

Jakunen - Excellent insight into plantlore - fantastic! :biggthump

Also a big thanks to everyone else there - you all made it possible by being there and supporting BCUK! :biggthump

:chill:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
AAAH! Well i just got back from the edinburgh festival. I'm gutted that the two occassions collided. But i promise to make it next year and hopefully to a wilderness gathering. Sounds like an amazing time, right by where i live!

Cheers,

Jake

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
What a brilliant weekend ! Massive respect to Tony for organising this. Huge thanks to Ed & Stuart, Peter, Rhoda, Wayne, Chris, and Dave whose demonstrations I saw and who were all brilliant. It was great to meet everyone else - most for the first time - and discover just how great a bunch of people hang out here.

I have a fair bunch of candid snaps that I'll drop into the gallery once I get them resized. The first three are up in the gallery>>meetups section now.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE