BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
I love the fact that this is intended to be a family event, but was wondering whether there was a recommended minimum age for attendence?

While I would love to bring my daughter, she'll be not qutie 3 years old - I'm not sure that such a young (and boisterous!) child would be appreciated!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
boaty said:
I love the fact that this is intended to be a family event, but was wondering whether there was a recommended minimum age for attendence?

While I would love to bring my daughter, she'll be not qutie 3 years old - I'm not sure that such a young (and boisterous!) child would be appreciated!!

The way I see it with families is that the parents are going to be solely responsible for the children they bring, the weekend will be no different than people going camping on any other camp site, and we’re just arranging to go to the same one. It is big enough for people to not be effected by children or other distractions, with a bit of consideration there will be no problems at all.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
boaty said:

If you feel that you would like to bringing her along then its fine, as long as you except that she would be your responsibility and so long as your happy with that go ahead

it is important for everyone to understand the nature of this meet up:

BCUK has booked the entire site at myther mawr (a private estate), the BCUK team will be getting together on the 20-22 of august, BCUK are inviting all the members of this website to join them for the weekend

it will not be a trade fair (no commercial activities are allowed) and BCUK with not be organizing or endorsing any activities

however BCUK wishes to encourage the members to organize there own activities and share knowledge and information with each other

for example:

Ed and myself regularly trap rabbits for our own consumption on the estate with the estates permission, as members of bushcraftUK we will be running an active trapping line over the weekend are happy to take other members along to share our knowledge and learn new information from those that we meet

BCUK has not organized this and does not endorse it, and therefore will not be held responsible for Ed and myself actions or the activities of those that choose to come with us

BCUK has booked the site and has agreed with the estates owners to eject any person who violates the rules of the site and retains the right to do so

its all feels very serious doesn’t it :-D

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao:

It will probably be the two of us, myself and my Dad. If he's game. If not i can just come alone!

It would be nice to learn some of these skills that i hear so much about!

Jake

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ts all feels very serious doesn’t it
Thats the nature of business. BCUK has to cover itself and cannot be held responsible for other peoples actions.... luckily most here seem very sensible and I foresee very little problems with the weekend.... except people trying to find the site in the first place ;-) .... I got lost last time... and I'm local!!!

:)
Ed

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thats a point. For those who dont know Merthyr Mawr how are they gonna find the site?!
I got lost last time when getting back to the carpark, and even though i was only abut 30 min walk, i still found it tough.

Cheers,

Jake

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Tony said:
The way I see it with families is that the parents are going to be solely responsible for the children they bring, the weekend will be no different than people going camping on any other camp site, and we’re just arranging to go to the same one. It is big enough for people to not be effected by children or other distractions, with a bit of consideration there will be no problems at all.

Thanks chaps! It was never a question of responsibility, rather of appropriateness (if there is such a word...)

I think I'll come without Rosie this year, partly for selfish reasons (I want to get stuck in and learn some bushcraft skills), and partly because I doubt there'll be many kids of similar age for her to play with - she is a very social child!

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Sounds like it will be a fantastic weekend, sorry can't make it myself, I,m off canoeing in the Ardeche for 2 weeks, but I hope to meet up again at the Wilderness Gathering in September. Enjoy yourselves. Sounds like Adi might be giving GPS lessons :-D

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I would love to attend, perhaps bringing along a selection of knives to demo different types and talk about things like steel, rust inhibitors and how to sharpen knives etc. I know a lot of you guys are already good at this, but a different approach may just give you a little info or teach you a trick or two! I certainly want to see a lot of stuff and learn!

My major problem (not being a driver...) is getting there, ideally if someone is going down from North Wales or willing to divert I would be happy to go halves on the jungle juice!

I live in Llandudno BTW

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I would definatly like someone to teach me how to sharpen convex in real life! Seems a lot harder doing it just by written advice (very good advice BTW)!!

Cheers,

Jake

PS sorry i am in South Wales.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I'm in too sounds great, anyone going from the South Coast as I can't drive (I'll be living on the Isle of Wight by then!!).

Blue Sky!
Jim. :-D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Jim I can give you a lift, I live just outside Southampton anyway. Otherhalfs coming but there should still be plenty of room in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE