Ayrshire D&G meet confirmed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hmmm, looks interesting.. :D Not sure can do this yet, and maybe need to follow someone down.. I'll get lost probably.. lol

EDIT: whats the story with dogs? We has a wee pup. Fully understand if dogs are a no-no, sometimes thats the rules.

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Hmmm, looks interesting.. :D Not sure can do this yet, and maybe need to follow someone down.. I'll get lost probably.. lol

Puddock has put a link to a map of the site if that helps . Or are you just really bad with directions ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's not hard to find.

A714 Girvan to Newton Stewart road, approx 8miles before NStewart turn off at Bargrennan 1/2 mile to a right turn for L Trool then about 2 miles.

Or Turn off at A77 after Ayr at Minishant or Maybole, head to Straiton and straight through to same location.

I'll try and put a marker sign at the right turn into camp area.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Cool, as clear as mud.. or perhaps double Dutch
babelfish into dutch said:
A714 Girvan aan de manier van Newton Stewart, NGO. 8miles door draai NStewart gegaan in Bargrennan 1/2 mijlen naar een correcte draai voor mijlen toen ongeveer 2 van L Trool. Of draai gegaan bij A77 na Ayr in Minishant of Maybole, hoofd naar Straiton en recht op zelfde plaats.

Which turns back into
A714 Girvan to the manner of Newton Stewart, NGO. 8miles turn NStewart gone in Bargrennan 1/2 miles to a correct turn for miles then approximately 2 of L Trool. Or turn gone at A77 after Ayr in Minishant or Maybole, head to Straiton and right to same place

In the wise words of Ozzy 'Don't ask me I don't know'... :D

It's not hard to find.

A714 Girvan to Newton Stewart road, approx 8miles before NStewart turn off at Bargrennan 1/2 mile to a right turn for L Trool then about 2 miles.

Or Turn off at A77 after Ayr at Minishant or Maybole, head to Straiton and straight through to same location.

I'll try and put a marker sign at the right turn into camp area.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
well the dissertation will be in that week, so I may well be up for a weekend away. Bit of a distance for me though.

I'll certainly have a think.

can we bring some kit to sell? - got a load of carving knives I want to off load.

Andy

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
Some quick history of the site. Caldons used to be a Forestry Commission owned campsite for caravans and tents and provided very basic amenities such as an electric hookup, water and a toilet block - it was fantastic. It closed around 10 years ago, the toilet block has been levelled, the electric hookups are long gone and the water supply is no more.

However there is a vast amount of level grassy pitches (although the grass is knee height!) There is also a lot of mixed broadleaf woodland, two rivers running through the campsite and a loch adjacent.

I would guess that the site is around 30 acres - there is a house on the site which was lived in by the campsite manager, the house has not been lived in for 10 years, although it was recently sold by the Forestry, not sure whether someone is now living there or whether it is still being refurbished - it needed a lot of work.

The path for the Southern Upland Way goes right through the campsite, also the site is used by lots or ramblers and dogwalkers.

There is parking right next to the site, although a locked gate prevents direct vehicular access.

I would suggest that the best place to camp (out of the way of the main walking traffic) is to go through the gate and over the bridge, follow the tarmac path, don't go left to the information sign go straight on, the path will then branch off to the left as well as going straight on, go straight on and look to your right - there is a decent sized level field, surrounded by trees on two sides and is tucked out the way from passing foot traffic?

There is a house on the site

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE