Are you a sexist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True story - honest!

I'd bought a small trailer-sailer, and just for a joke thought I'd name it Hen-Pecked (at this time in my life we had living at home me, wife, neutered dog, neutered cat, three young girls and a mother and mother-in-law - totally surrounded I was). Got the mandatory yachting-knife engraved with it and everything.

But the wife told me I couldn't......

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Well folks I,ve enjoyed this wee light hearted thread, it,s only a wee poke at how our daily manly duties are being undermined by certain stuffy females. Nobody likes change and nobody likes getting criticised thats when the shutters go up and we all go in the huff.
Tony thanks for your input which as usual was a fair and reasonable comment. It,s just been a wee bit of old grumpy bushy men banter, perhaps the kitchen has been a bit too hot for some people who are not worth bothering with. Yes it would have been good for some female replies, hopefully in a slap down lighthearted manner.

Sorry if it caused any offence folks, wait,.....did anyone ring for a taxi.

phil

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...that giveaway phrase 'it's political correctness gone mad.'..."

Political correctness, its not all bad.

[video=youtube;jGAOCVwLrXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo[/video]

I live in a country where people still hold doors for each other, where even teenagers greet and wish you a good day as they enter and leave a lift or train carriage, its like living in an idealized Britain in the fifties.

However it is the norm for the man to enter a restaurant or bar before any woman accompanying him (just in case it is a "knife throwing pub").

:D

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Sandbender, funny you should say that.....the only time i will ever walk through a door before a lady is into a pub, i'll then turn and hold it open for her from the inside but i always go in first just to make sure everything is ok, you never know whats going on in a pub.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So far we've been talking about holding doors that were common to us and the person we're holding them for. Lets take it a step further. How many of you open the car door for your wife or date before walking around to the other side to your own door? If so, how does she react?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...How many of you open the car door for your wife or date before walking around to the other side to your own door? If so, how does she react?

I do that. :angel:

She doesn't bat an eyelid. She's probably carrying the shopping. :)

In the early 1980s I worked quite a lot in the USA. One day I arrived at Kansas City airport and was met by a salesman called Ted. Great guy, I have a few interesting stories about Ted but this one is actually relevant. :)

Ted and I walked to his car in the car park just outside 'arrivals'. I was standing by the car waiting for him to open the doors, assuming it would have central locking, and I noticed he was looking at me over the roof of the car, with a quirky smile. We stood there for a couple of seconds while I thought about it, and then I looked down and through the car window next to which I was standing. There I saw the steering wheel. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Courtesy is simply that. It ought to be returned with thanks :) Doesn't matter which sex the courtesy is extended to either.

I don't expect a gentleman to give me his seat, though if offered, age dependant, I'll take it with thanks, but after years of established behaviour I do expect to be passed to the inside when walking with a man, even my sons do it, and they seemed to know to do it as soon as they were as tall as I am :)
I also expect that if I'm walking close in woodland the person ahead of me doesn't crash through and let the branches slap me, and no I don't want to hear the, "Then don't walk too close!", of the terminally can't be bothered to think of others. Conversation requires proximity unless one wants to lug a megaphone :rolleyes: I'll be careful for others too.
Help me with my bags ? if we share the load, then thank you :) Open the car door for me ? If I'm in a posh frock and high heels and it's not easy getting out with dignity :eek: or I've been sitting too long and the joints are aching and seized, then I'll thank you kindly :)

There are as many boors out there as there are whatever filcon called the rude females though.
Brash, thoughtless and discourteous aren't a sex specific set of character flaws.

As for the aggressively militant female getting on her high horse and railing at some hapless male, that's just arrogant posturing and rather silly. Wanting to be seen to be heard :sigh:
Just like the boor who loudly proclaims, "Surely you can do it for yourself!" and lets the door slam closed :(

Neither realises that they're influencing no one in any positive fashion. Just too fraught to be worth bothering with.

To courteous strangers who create little happy feelings :)

cheers,
Toddy

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I was challenged on this for holding a door open.
I pointed out that I hold doors open for everyone.
It's called courtesy.

Ding! Got it in one, well done that man. :)

Manners (and courtesy) cost nothing, those who have been brought up this way are the jewels of our society.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I've found that when you look into it, that for every possible act, statistic or aspect of society there seems to be atleast one feminist claiming that it is part of or evidence of the patriachal control of women.
some feminists seem to spend much of their time claiming other feminists who don't agree with them are part of this grand conspiricy.

which, when you are doing a sociology A-level is great, because it's a guarenteed critisim of any theory!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I do open the car door while my wife gets in, then I close it gently. The reason I do this is because she thinks we still have a 20 year old banger and she tends to slam it like it will come off it's hinges.
On the whole though, I try and be considerate. Why, just this morning I held the ladder for her while she cleared out the guttering and last week I helpfully pointed out a bit she'd missed as she painted the ceiling.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My friend, Trisha, and me worked a weekend demonstrating and teaching traditional textile crafts to a Women Only! event organised by the Cailleach Collective.
Lovely ladies, rather friendly, we thought....then Trish said to me (she's always quicker on the uptake than I am :eek:) "How does it feel ? to be in the minority ? "
and there's me thinking, 'Feminists ? or there's a lot of women my age here, and a lot a fair bit older' :confused:
Then she finished, "Sexually speaking I mean." :confused: :dunno:
:D
I thought they were very civil, and the supposed feminist rants were confined to chastising other women who wouldn't learn how to do things like change tyres.

Yet, there were no men allowed into the halls during the event, not even the caretaker. It was astonishing how angry he was at that, and how he ranted about *feminists* and their demands.
Not one of them said a word against him, but they still didn't want men there when they were having yoga and bellydancing classes either.
Two sides to every story.

Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I've found that when you look into it, that for every possible act, statistic or aspect of society there seems to be atleast one feminist claiming that it is part of or evidence of the patriachal control of women.
some feminists seem to spend much of their time claiming other feminists who don't agree with them are part of this grand conspiricy.

which, when you are doing a sociology A-level is great, because it's a guarenteed critisim of any theory!

When you look into every possible act, statistic, or aspect of society, you will always find one femenist saying one thing. You will also find half a dozen blaming it on women, and twenty more blaming it on the immigrants. Youll possibly be able to find two old gentlemen on a park bench saying its because of the younger generation, and david Icke blaming it on shape shifting lizards. Infact if you look into every statistic on anything, you will always be able to find exactly what you are looking for ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's the fault of the younger generation of immigrant feminest women with shape shifting lizards for pets!.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
When you look into every possible act, statistic, or aspect of society, you will always find one femenist saying one thing. You will also find half a dozen blaming it on women, and twenty more blaming it on the immigrants. Youll possibly be able to find two old gentlemen on a park bench saying its because of the younger generation, and david Icke blaming it on shape shifting lizards. Infact if you look into every statistic on anything, you will always be able to find exactly what you are looking for ;)

My statistics prove you're totally wrong:)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Throughout history men have held doors open for women , it was a way of keeping an eye on her ensuring her safety but now it is so she can't stab you in the back and pinch your wallet ! makes it easier to check her out if she goes first , the ones that object are usually not worth checking out .!:sulkoff:

Craig...........

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Throughout history men have held doors open for women , it was a way of keeping an eye on her ensuring her safety but now it is so she can't stab you in the back and pinch your wallet ! makes it easier to check her out if she goes first , the ones that object are usually not worth checking out .!:sulkoff:

Craig...........

Let's be honest Craig, the main reason men open doors for women, and let them go first is so they can check out the nice ar$e and not be seen doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE