are we still allowed to be survivalists?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
To really know your breathing, you need to practice it from the lotus position. Alternatively you can kneel on the floor, while wearing silk pajamas, and imagine the sound of the wind in the cherry trees. Anything less and you can hardly call yourself anything more than an arm-chair breathcrafter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Look - just cos I dress a little different and practice "extreme breathing" as a civilian, its not going too far. The mere fact that I hunker down with a years supply of oxygen, a neoprene suit and a gimp mask does not, in any real sense of the word, set me apart from those of you who wish to travel the world breathing "ethnic air", the "atmoshpheric photographers" who take cloud and mist pictures or indeed those who belive that in a quasi spiritual sense you can absorb the very essence of Gaia by sniffing pine needles. And as for those who "collect" breathing equipment. Just what is the point of a "mint, 1970s fire brigade issue BA as used on Londons Burning"? Huh? You are never going to go into a fire....so why do you want it....its just a "ready rack" queen

Red :D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Drstrange and British Red............Keep it up its great reading :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But with all this breathing malarky..........where in the equation do asthmatics come in to it :rolleyes:

WE CAN BIN THE ORIGANAL TOPIC...........THIS IS MUCH BETTER :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
British Red, for your information, I got my breathing badge early in scouts, but I had to prove myself in front of Arcala, Bosun, Uncle Bob and all the administrators at Neasden South SHQ. Basically is starts with 'sniffing kata' a series of short regular nasal inhalation-exhalations to the rhythmn of 'Oh the fire and the shorts' a famous scouting song. Anyway, after demonstrating proficiency in this particular discipline the grading moves on to 'gasping drill', in which you hold your breath for anything up to twelve minutes, after which you are judged by what colour you have turned.

While I am on the subject, does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that Baden Powells book was called 'Scouting for boys' or is this just urban myth?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lets not get started on the book, or indeed the practice of "Scouting for boys"!

Personally I find the "sniffing" (or more dangerous adult "snorting") inhalation exercises are an unbalanced training regime. Indeed people who train only in this way without also understanding the relevant exhalation disciplines have inflated egos and are in danger of being seen as puffed up. In fact the whole thing sucks. Now those who practice the weirder exhalation practices through pursed lips really blow - they can in fact whistle for my support.

Yeah okay - I've given an appropriate rating ;)

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE