Anti Midge - All Natural Skin Protection Patches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
By sheer accident while waiting on the patches to arrive, Bivibabe found a local shop selling similar patches, Highland Midge something or other, with 75mg B1 in'em. A pound each or a tenner for 10, got two and stuck em on straight away. After a few hours fishing ( a two pound pollock! result! ) we headed back to midge central ( Loch Eck ) and waited for the wind to die down. When it finally did, we ventured out with mixed expectations and hopes. Unfortunately these did not make any difference at all, we both got mucnched. Thought I'd try this morning too, just to give them a bit longer to seep into the body as it were.. and again no effect. I got really eaten, so decided to do a small experiement sprayed one arm with "Pestshield" which has low amounts of DEET in it. Arm with no DEET got bitten 8 times in a minute, while the other one got bitten twice in the same time, and my face became a play ground for them.. :D

Hopefully the "Don't Bite Me" ones may work.. but I'm not holding out any hope at all at this point.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
here in lies a problem to me, borther of the wookie, and relation to the sashquat.

Stick the patch on your forehead!
Jim

Thats me too, either there or the sole of my feet/palms of my hands.
There have been times in the past when I swear that the midges have buzzed with a different accent or in a strange dialect - an indication as to how far these blighters will travell to get a bite of me.

I'm going to wait for a few days to see how everyone else fairs with these patches - and if they work, I'm willing to sink deeper into the red to get something that works well, heck if they're that good, we ought to buy the company!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
must say I've heard a few differing results from folk who've used then now, and I'm wondering if levels of fitness and activity levels may be a decider in how well they work on an individual

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
So what is wrong about just taking Thiamine vitamin supplement as tablets. It will be excreted the same way.

Could be that a patch gives an extended period of protection by releasing the vitamin over a long period. I think that oral vitamin B is excreted fairly rapidly.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hey there, we finally got our pack of "Don't bite me" yesterday afternoon. On went one patch and a few hours later we went outside into the Enemy Zone. With in a few minutes the wee blighters were flying around and landing on us, and having a rare old time feeding. So Patches 0 - Midges 1. Now I'm not over weight nor a heavy smoker, so didn't think I would need two patches, but in the interests of anti midge research, on went a second patch. Two hours later ( around 11PM ) I venture once more out into battle. No noticeable effect at all. Patches 0 - Midges 2. Today, a third patch goes on, and a B1 vitamin pill. Just came back in from the Zone. They were out in force, and thought there may be some ever so slight effect... nope, nada, zilch, zero. Patches 0 - Midges 3. My arms and face were covered. So I came in, off with the patches and on with Bog Myrtle spray, bought this afternoon. Gave my arms a good soaking with it and Ventured Once More Unto The Breach. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I came in defeated, wounded and demoralized. Patches/Spray 0 - Midges 4. A total defeat. What can I say? I am disappointed however I think this was not all together unexpected. I hope they work for the rest of you, but for us, this was an expensive exercise. Do we regret getting them? Not wholly, as they may have worked.

Other observations are that the adhesive used caused us both to get a small rash, and slight bruising to occur where they were. On the adhesive side of things I found that if you so much as got a tiny bit touching either itself or anything else before you managed to stick it on you (and that's not as daft as it sounds, as they are very very flimsy) it won't stick properly. Also if the patch is in an area that may rub against you or clothing it may come away at the edges, as happened to me. I had to use micropore to secure it. I also noticed that during some light work, cutting logs, one patch started to come off due to sweat. That was very annoying.

Over all I feel the patches are over packaged and too flimsy for the asking price, ignoring the fact they don't work for us. Well that's all I can really say just now, but if anyone has any questions on how and where etc or anything else, ask away.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Right where's Goatboy, I want my £14 back :rant:

Seriously though, thanks for the review Nag. It sounds like they're pretty ferocious where you are, you have my sympathy. You must just taste too good.
Mine turned up earlier in the week but I've not tried one yet. I'm heading out in the canoe on Sunday so will give one a go then.
I suppose they do sound too good to be true but in the interest of science and human wellbeing I got a pack to see how I get on.

Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, mine arrived too.

Both myself and HWMBLT put one on (inner arm) and he went for a hillwalk and I went for a foraging walk down midgie and cleg central aka the burn.

The good news is not one bite :D :red:

The bad news is that the patch has inflamed my skin so badly that I'm blistered in a neat wee square with rounded corners. I know I have soft skin and I have to watch which elastoplast I use, but it never even dawned on me that the flimsy little plasticy patch would have such a reaction :sigh: It's still nipping fourteen hours after taking it off. Feels almost like a burn.

However, HWMBLT also reports a success, and no reaction to the patch :cool: :)
I was delighted they stopped the biters but I can't face this skin reaction again, so the patches are my husband's.

Thanks for the heads up Goatboy, worth a try.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hey Shewie, you're right, I probably do taste good.. :D They are particulary bad here on the shores of Loch eck. House is next to the loch, and a forest and a wee burn, so it is midgy heaven.

In the interests of fair play, or just plain insanity on my part, I thought I'd give ONE arm a wash and then cover it in Avon Skin So Soft (woodland fresh lotion) got my fleece on, headover on and a pair of goggles. No danger were they getting more than I was prepared to test.. :D so for one final time tonight I went out, uttering my battle cry of " come a head then ya wee buggers!" well in truth I actually went out a bit like a lost lamb- slightly scared and looking about me for something that was going to eat me. So I stood out for the same amount of time and left my Avoned arm out for them to feast on. I waited the same time I gave the others and well, I can't say I didn't get bitten, as I did, but only a few times. Less than 4 I think, although it was kind of hard to see with the goggles steaming up.. :D I did take them off very briefly to have a proper look, only to find what looked like the entire regions quota of midges flying about my head, in formation. Of course this gave them an opportunity to to attack my face, so the goggles when quickly back down.

So the final verdict is the Avon works, which I've used before and knew it worked, but tonight was a fairly heavy midge night so to give it all a fair test it was only right and proper that I went out. I know I am probably mad putting myself through all that, but I felt it was worth it to test things out and give some accurate feedback. On a side note on the Avon, I've used the oil spray and found it was much more effective than the lotion, I've been using recently..

Anyways, i hope that helps someone out there..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Right where's Goatboy, I want my £14 back :rant:

Sorry Shewie... Guess I'd better not be showing up at the Moot anytime soon :puppy_dog

I'm genuinely sorry that some of you have had Nada response from these, worse even an adverse reaction to them... Sorry Toddy.

With me they've worked wonderfully, I am an overweight smoker, with a predilection to perspire freely when the weather is humid. I have only used one patch at a time ( despite my weight) have looked up foods containing B1 and I do eat a lot of them, I'm also on heart medication due to a rather nasty virus, and as B1 help the heart beat better I wonder if my meds boost my B1 intake? I wore my patch on the shoulder where I knew that despite being slightly damp due to humidity that clothes would keep it in place. I wonder if these things have helped.
Toddy and spouse had no bites, I'm wondering if we can collate the results, will print of all comments and collate along these ways.
Predilection to biting
Weight.
How patch was worn.
Adverse reaction.
Smoker
If those who have tried can post how they've felt they've done and any other ideas I would be grateful, also any any other things that may have affected results.
I'll compile,or better still if someone knows how to do one of those poll things we see on some threads I'll start one. After the results are in I'll contact the manufacturers and give them the results.
I'm sorry if some feel that they've wasted their cash... I'm afraid I'm not in a position fiscally to reimburse you, though if there's anything I can do to help I'd be most grateful to hear.
I posted the review as I was astounded how good they were for me, maybe should've waited until the jury was back in again. Will try to rectify.
Sorry folks,
Goatboy.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey Goatboy,

Not used mine yet - but everyone knew they were just trying something out that may or may not have worked, so don't be talking about money - you just posted your feelings on a new product you tried, just like most members do on all the other gear we waste our money on, you don't sell 'em or make 'em.

When I try them I'll post results :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm sorry if some feel that they've wasted their cash... I'm afraid I'm not in a position fiscally to reimburse you, though if there's anything I can do to help I'd be most grateful to hear.
I posted the review as I was astounded how good they were for me, maybe should've waited until the jury was back in again. Will try to rectify.
Sorry folks,
Goatboy.

Don't feel bad mate, it's one of these things, you had to best intentions at heart, they worked for you ( and Toddy's other half ) if they had worked for everyone, it would be nothing short of a miracle for us all, they'd maybe even name a holiday after you.. ;). So really, don't worry if they haven't worked for some folks, take heart that they have worked for you and others. I'm glad I had the chance to try them out, I mean can you imagine there being something out there that worked and not giving it a chance? lol.

You have nothing to feel sorry for at all. I'm glad I could help out with the testing, I'd better happier if they worked, but hey ho - Avon still works, sure not as simple as a patch, but it works for me.. so at least I have some defense against them.. :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Too right Stoo we all chose to try something that you found worked for you mate, now we want to see if it works for us. I also got some but have'nt had a chance of trying them out yet, and as I resemble you in hieght, build (ok I'm a wee bit bigger,,ok ok quite a bit bigger) and also smoke like a chimney and sweat like a pig in hot weather, I hope they work for me. If they do then cheers for the heads up, if they don't ah well such is life, you pays yer money and ye takes yer chance mate, no reflection on you at all mate except if it works, then you will be a saviour.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks for this, I've just ordered a twenty pack from the website that Toddy recommended. I was glad to read that they're child safe, as there are a few of my favourite places that I'm reluctant to take my son (including the whole of the west coast of Scotland ) in the summer.

Al the best, Michael.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not your fault in the least, and at least my household had a result :D

I didn't get bitten either :) My arm is still inflamed though :sigh:.........guess that's something else I can't use, skin permeable patches :sigh:

For the record, HWMBLT is 5' 8", very lean and fit. Doesn't smoke, sweats heavily when walking fast (as he does :rolleyes: ) weighs around the 10st. Omniverous in his diet, doesn't drink much. Eats marmite occasionally.

I'm an overweight little lady. Vegan and gluten free diet to control rheumatoid arthritis. Never smoked, don't drink much, don't have a very sweet tooth. Love marmite. Not very fit.

As the others have said, this was just like buying a good piece of kit to try it out for ourselves. caveat emptor and all that.
Thanks for the heads up. Himself is going back to Skye later this summer, I suspect he's going to be glad of them :cool:

cheers,
M

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Yeah :D Well, at least it was done with the best of intentions.

Tell you though, if they do work.........who's for finding the importer and sorting out a group buy ?

cheers,
'Toddy

Having just splashed out on a 20 pack, I have to say that a group buy would be a great idea....if they're as good as promised. They should be effective against ticks as well, as they too are attracted by the CO2 gradient . Heres hoping; got my first patch on now and didn't get a single bite in the garden tonight, unlike previous evenings. The acid test will be tomorrow up in the Cairngorms; the Water of Ailnack is a midge ravaged area so, fingers crossed. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny enough himself has just said, " I didn't pick up any ticks either......despite wading through waist high bracken in sheep and deer country."
I could see that alone being a big selling point. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry Shewie... Guess I'd better not be showing up at the Moot anytime soon :puppy_dog

I was only pulling your leg fella :)

I'm always up for trying something new especially when it comes to 'orrible bitey things.

If the rain holds off I should be out in the canoe tomorrow so I'll stick one on for a test.

See you at the Moot ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE