Anti Midge - All Natural Skin Protection Patches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just thought I'd drop you a quick line regarding my first use of the All Natural Skin Protection Patches. ( To give a quick reaction they are blinking marvellous.) I know Toddy was interested.

Decided not to head too far on my two days off, just headed up to Loch Earn as I fancied a camp near water. The weather was incredibly hot and sticky, and thunder was forecast. So the midge count would be high.

Popped the patch on dry, hairless skin as advised and though there is a distinct smell of thiamine it wasn't too strong and soon died down, packed the car and headed off with mutt in tow. You need to give two hours for the body to absorb the stuff.

On arrival it was very quiet at the loch side it being mid-week. Had to do the usual tidy up after some of the fishermen and between that and setting up camp in the heat and humidity worked up a bit of a sweat. This is usually the death knell for normal repellents as they are flushed away. The beauty of this system is that the more perspiration one has the more efficacious it becomes as the body transudes excess thiamine out through the pores, so increasing the scent that keeps biting insects away. Usually at this point I'd either have either my bug jacket on, some form of anti midge juice slathered about or a smudge fire lit. None were necessary however as nothing was coming near me.

Once set up, fire lit and coffee in hand I sat down with my book to give them a sitting target. Still no insects. I could see them floating about but they were keeping their distance, well from me, they were how-ever trying to get Snoop ( my mutt) but he just stayed in the water, playing with stones.

That evening I decided to see if I was maybe just in a freak spot of none biting midges, and went for a walk over to some fishermen who were along the shore. When I arrived they were using a large arsenal of repellents, though not to great use. All were being bitten and I could see midges all around, but it was like having a personal force field.

Next morning the usual midge onslaught as the tent is exited didn't happen and breakfast was prepared in peace. Then off up the braes that shoulder the Earn. Cleggs ( horseflies) were out, and these silent assassins are a particularly hated beast for me. These also kept their distance.

I did get one bite on my leg from a midge, but considering I'd spent two days in shorts and t-shirt at a loch side in perfect midge weather I'm nothing short of astounded. Looking forward to a longer trip with them, and as a scientific approach I'm not going to tell my camping mate what I'm using or let him have any! Evil I know but we need controls in experiments if they're to work.

There are various prices on the net, roughly about 90 pence a patch, but with five patches giving you pretty much a complete week of biting freedom I'm sure they'll sell, each patch lasts 36 hours. I don't know how effective they are against ticks, as I do my best to avoid badly prone areas and keep such a constant watch that these days I rarely ever get one that gets to the sinking it's fangs in stage.

Pretty much the Holy Grail of bite protection from what I've seen so far; easy to use, low reapplication rate, no oily slicks on the skin, no bad odour, shouldn't cause cancer, and it won't destroy your sunglasses. Oh! and it so far seems to work unlike some other treatments.

Will let you know how I get on with the longer trips.

Goatboy.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Goatboy,

Please could you let me know, or post a link to the ones you use. They wreck my summers!

Cheers

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Andy,

I'm afraid I didn't buy mine, ( I'm testing them for the Scottish outdoor retailer that I work for, and they are so good on what I've observed so far that I've recomended that we buy them). But in the meantime here's a link to a web place that does: -
http://www.electronichealing.co.uk/dont_bite_me_patch.htm
My review isn't based on me selling the things as we as of yet don't. Was just pretty blown away by the product.
Have also done a wee bit of research as I take warfarin and have to watch the effect of certain vitamins have on it ( like vitamin K ) and these seem OK. But as always ask your Doctor if you have any medication worries.

Hope you get them and that they work as well for you as they did for me. Spoke to another chap who is testing them and he was very chuffed too.

Cheers
Goatboy.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
BOUGHT!

Many thanks for the link - midge bites send me to the Dr's so I'll try anything :)

I'd be interested to a link at your place when you start selling them, if not before.

Cheers

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Andy,

Let everyone here know what you think about them. On the link front I'll send you a PM as to the company I work for. One of the things I love about here is that it's truely a community and there's no brash advertising. I'm a bit old school when it comes to selling, totally believe that retailers should be honest with folk and as such work in a non - commission environment. Hey I work for an outdoor company and don't like Goretex - I know it works for certain folk in a narrow band of temperature and humidity - but not for me. And I'm allowed to continue with my hopefully balanced view on things.
Hope the patched work for you as well as they did for me.

Colin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I'm giving these a shot :D

Goatboy you are owed such favours if these are as good on me as they sound to be on you.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow,
Big responsibility on my head now. Would love to hear how others find they work, as with any new product it's always a gamble recomending them. They seem to work for me and I'm impressed, after years working in the woods I'll try anything to keep the blighters away.
Would love to hear all comments... good and bad so that I can give an honest appraisal of the patches. Seemingly the US military have been using them in bad places to great effect, but would love to know how they pan out here in the UK.
Thanks,
Colin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nah, it's just I'm a housewife who could shop for Scotland :eek:
I like a bargain :rolleyes: :D

Besides, how many men would think to look at a diet site for supplements like this ?

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
after spending a week scratching at myself (see thread "skin removal tool") i will DEFINITELY be giving these a go!
mozzies in general don't bother me, i get the occasional horsefly but midges appear to view me as a walking buffet!
as they do all of us, my father on the other hand gets bitten by anything with teeth/incisors/proboscis/mandibles they seem to want to make sure they finish the highly delicious meal before he starts enjoying his holiday. i will be getting these and having him test them out i reckon this will make his fishing trips in wales a damn sight better!
pete

edit, just ordered the 20 pack from the link toddy posted (cheers!). can't wait to try em out! i'll post results in the most midge infested area i know the local SSSI its a mossland so should have PLENTY ;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've joined the crowd of trialists. I'm hoping that these patches will make ten days in Knoydart easier/more comfortable than they might otherwise have been.

Many thanks for the review and link.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE