Air Rifles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which kind of air rifle do you prefer?

• Spring-piston

Votes: 226 57.4%
  • PCP (pre-charged pneumatic)

Votes: 146 37.1%
  • CO2 (carbon dioxide)

Votes: 22 5.6%

• Total voters

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I had a Russian 'Strella', which is/was a 3 position rifle (Though I only ever did prone. Nobody did 3 positions seriously in those days). It had a nice double set trigger - like breaking a glass rod. In about 15 years target shooting I never saw anyone else with one. They mostly had Anshultz 54s or Supermatches, or BSA Martini International Mk 2s or 3s.

I did 25 yards indoors all year round and the County, clubs and Country open meetings. I never really got on with air rifles, but got into the Middx. County and the England teams with smallbore.

Though I was put in the 'X' class (the top 50 in the country) when it was formed, I never had the nerves for the really big events like the Earl Roberts!

I had quite a few centre fire pistols (9mm Parabellum) as well, for fun at Bisley. This was well before Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton.

Usually story - I gave it all up when I got married, but still got the medals!

Jim

Blimey, a 17lb 3-p gun! Says something about Russian athletes... NSRA and ISSF rules don't allow set triggers any longer but then good, highly adjustable triggers are on almost every rifle now. BSA has largely disappeared from the serious smallbore scene, it seems every man and his mum has an Annie of some description (plus copious bells&whistles) or possibly a FWB or Walther. Mind most clubs still have 12/15s and Internationals knockin about at the back of the gunroom, and you do get the occasional old boy with his International, or very rarely a Finnish Lion.

As for my scores, I feel lucky when I'm above 95ex100 (prone @25yards) but then I've only been at this lark a couple of years and don't practice nearly enough.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
NSRA and ISSF rules don't allow set triggers any longer

Not sure why that would be - it was set to the regulation 500g

Finnish Lion.

I almost chose a LIon when I bought my Strella. I wish I had because the Strella was a bit awkward and not as well finished externally.

As for my scores, I feel lucky when I'm above 95ex100 (prone @25yards) but then I've only been at this lark a couple of years and don't practice nearly enough.

It's all down to practice. I used to shoot at the 'Harrow Rifle and Pistol Club' 3 times a week It's not so much the physical side, but the mental. It was only after I gave up that I realised that it had become very 'Zen' for me - I had ritualised the preparation before a shoot so everything felt 'just so', and the steps in doing so produced an inner calmness and focus, until nothing existed except the foresight and aiming mark. I wasn't always able to maintain this level of focus, though!

Looking back, it wasn't right for me to spend so much time in my twenties on shooting - It was too intense and I 'should have got out more'!

Jim

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Not sure why that would be - it was set to the regulation 500g
I'll check the bible when I'm up the range tonight, but AFAIK there is no minimum pull weight any more; so long as it's safe it's legal. A lot of people adjust their Annie 2-stage triggers to have a short, light first stage and then a very slightly increased weight second stage, but we're talking very light.

It's all down to practice. I used to shoot at the 'Harrow Rifle and Pistol Club' 3 times a week It's not so much the physical side, but the mental. It was only after I gave up that I realised that it had become very 'Zen' for me - I had ritualised the preparation before a shoot so everything felt 'just so', and the steps in doing so produced an inner calmness and focus, until nothing existed except the foresight and aiming mark. I wasn't always able to maintain this level of focus, though!

Looking back, it wasn't right for me to spend so much time in my twenties on shooting - It was too intense and I 'should have got out more'!

Jim
I used to shoot 2 or 3 times a week too, but I was living 10 minutes from the range. Problem is that now I'm a club officer I spend more time doing paperwork, cleaning guns and teaching newbies to hit the paper than I do shooting.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've had Daystate Harriers in .177 and .22. Very nice guns but I got fed up with the refilling hassles. Went for a Theoben Fenman in .20. A superb gun, minimal recoil, very pointable and I found the .20 to be a great calibre for fur and feather. I ended up selling it as I really don't have the time to practice or the land to shoot over:( . I'd love to get another. Probably a Theoben Evolution or SLR 98 but unless I win the lottery and can afford to get some land (and give up work)....

My wife, just bought me a SMK XS12 as a suprise present, nice light gun and seems fairly accurate.
So I joined the local air rifle club (Juniper Green ARC) to have someplace to shoot, it has def. rekindled my enjoyment of shooting. Just have to find some private land I can get permission to shoot on now to give me somewhere outside the club range to go.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Damn you all to H*ll! All this talk of air gunnes got me oogling the selection in the local outdoor pursuits shop today, I ended up putting down a deposit on a Webley Longbow SE:D. They didn't have a left handed one in stock but the right hander I shouldered felt really good.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well I've had my Longbow SE for a week or so now. I've not had a great deal of time to practice but I'm beginning to get my eye in again. Once I do my folks are having a bit of a problem with woodies and collared doves. Soon the woodies and doves will be having a problem with me:) .

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Like Dr Jones I've got an Air Arms S410 TDR. Fab piece of kit, weighs almost nothing and still delivers a highly accurate 12ft lb punch. I shot two rats in 5 seconds round the back of the chicken run today, from about 20 yds out (to be fair I've missed loads, that was just good luck!)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi folks,

All mine are in .177 flavour

I hunt with PCP's but have just got another springer for the fun of shooting it!

Theoben MFR
Daystate Mk4
Airarms TX200 [tuned to perfection!]

Drew

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
I bought the first L/H Rapid Seven ever supplied by Litts of Newport!

Having owned probably in excess of 60 air rifles, both pre-charged, spring & ram, my experience is that I could almost guarantee a kill out to about 40 yards with a PC. Using a Venom tuned HW80 I needed a bit more stalking skill to get a little closer.

The gun I most regret selling was a Mk1 Titan Manitou .22 slightly 'tuned' a beautiful rifle (I waited for 8 weeks for delivery) just before Titan went bust.
The first time I took it out I bagged 4 squirrels in about 40 minutes while sat in a large stingy bramble bush, me & gun wrapped in scrim net with a wren hopping on my head & my rifle :p

....ooops sorry, I was waffling on in old timer mode there for a min. :confused:

All I have left now is a Airmaster tuned Feinwerkbau 124 & a Sheridan Silver Streak (for a bit of fun)

Cheers
Calc

Jun 16, 2009
Peterborough
Hiya been reading the forum for sometime, only signed up today though.
I am thinking about getting a super10 what are your thoughts on this air rifle?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Having just bought a Daystate Harrier to compliment my shotty I would be grateful for any tuning tips via PM. I've heard there's a lot you can do to improve these rifles, I've got a feeling mine is shooting below 11 ft/lb too, I think the previous owner had fiddled about with it, it's missing the safety (I've ordered one), and the void if removed sticker is um...removed.

Edit: I would like to state that I'm NOT looking for ways to go over the 12ft/lb limit, just how to check it the rifles performance and improve it if necessary. I've heard talk about chrono's, is that something you have to buy to check? I've also heard you can polish bits and lube others to tune the rifle. Is it worth doing? Maybe this is better in a separate post?:togo:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Edit: I would like to state that I'm NOT looking for ways to go over the 12ft/lb limit, just how to check it the rifles performance and improve it if necessary. I've heard talk about chrono's, is that something you have to buy to check?

Your local gnu shop would probably chrono it for you though they may charge, possibly each time.

I bought a Combro cb-625 from here, as they seem popular and £40 to check/help keep you legal is money well spent in my book.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Combro-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Took 2 days to arrive, (that was yesterday ) not used it yet but they seem to be pretty popular on the air rafle forums.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
... are they easy to use?

Just tried a dozen shots with my AirArms Prosport .177

Simple to use, that is after a quick read of the instruction to find out what the buttons did.
There's an online manual and a virtual Crombo here
http://www.chronoscopes.info/manual/index.html

I've now also now ordered a RS232 computer interface cable, free software from the site above, as without it you get highest:lowest:average displayed, with it each shots are is displayed and should be easy enough to stick into a database along with temperature to see if does` make much difference.

I'm already very glad I got it, as the Prosport has only had about 50 pellets through it and is around 11.5.It's hotish day which does give higher power with a spring rifle but it also is expected to rise after a few tins of pellets, so I've taken this as a warning to keep a close eye on it.

I did get the bore alignment tool, which is useful as I could align it quickly without fear of shooting of the casing. 1 thing they haven't mentioned is the alignment tool has a built in LED torch, I guess for looking down the barrel.

Something to keep in mind, I was going to try it on my BSA Superstar ( .22) but with the underlever going to the end of the barrel I'd have to take off the open sight block and mount it upside down i.e. ontop rather than underneath.

Seeing as I've mentioned those, my other raffle is a .177 Daystate X2r

With a .177 AirArms ProTarget on it's way next month. Must not buy anymore raffles no matter what a bargain I think they are, £500 for a, just back from AirArms service, ProTarget with Nikko Sterling Nighteater 6-24 x 56 scope, I couldn't resist, not least as they don't come up that often.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Here's mine...

DSC00191.jpg

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Here's mine, I couldn't be doing with the hassle of PCPs, but may buy one anyway:D
Theoben Evolution Carbine, gas ram, with custom stock and 4-16 by 40 scope.
The freezer has been full since I got this.

IMG_0134.jpg

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
I have voted springer because I have never tried anything else so maybe it is an unfair vote, however you don't need to recharge or refill anything on an extended trip and that has to be a plus. I am always on the lookout for new rifles of all types and condition, don't mind work and not bothered about looks, a rifle i a tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE