What, no bog roll..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was listening to someone teaching some kids the other day about what to use in the field when there is no loo roll about. So, I thought it would be interesting to see what others think is the best alternative to loo roll.

Keep it clean :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Jug/Pot of water and my left hand.... a trick I picked up living in india, also its a verygood insentive to wash your hands PROPERLY!! Also makes sure your genital area is kept clean.... Hygine in a must.

Ed

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I seem to remember wet grass being quite nice. Well not nice, but adequate.

But don't use that broad sharp stuff that is good for using as a kazoo.

What about Moss. Not tried it, but that could be OK.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
but I have used the nautral cure for nettle stings, dock leaves with some sucsess.
Actualy the natural cure for nettle stings is the juice from the leaves, it is a counterirritant :wink:
Dock leaves work because they are a cold compress which numbs the pain.

Ed

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
The best cure for nettle stings is chew up a rennie then spit it on the offening part. Works instantly. Bit difficult if you've "wiped" with the nettle leaf though. :oops: :roll: :lol: :shock:

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Foxglove leaves. Without going into to too much detail they're soft and have these little ridges that get it all off.

My wife just read this over my shoulder and thinks I'm gross.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
martin said:
The best cure for nettle stings is chew up a rennie then spit it on the offening part. Works instantly. Bit difficult if you've "wiped" with the nettle leaf though.

My word, that's a time when you you'll find out who your friends are...

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
Comfrey leaves are meant to by good and I reckon Mullein would work (both are a bit furry-extra grip if you know what I mean).
There is an American web site I stumbled across ages ago which had several pages devoted to the subject, I'll have to try and track it down.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Anyone ever read:
How to **** in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...54553/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-0392756-5402851
?????

I skimmed it in a NYC book store but didn't buy it at the time. It was funny, but not sure how applicable to the current conversation.

Never having been in the possition of not having some bog roll handy, maybe you of more experience can tell me. Is natural "bog roll" like tinder in that you collected as you go in the sure knowledge that you WILL be needing it sooner or later, or do you sort of hunt around for whatever is handy at the time it is needed? Just wondering

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I discovered the writings of Rabelais in school. Gargantua is a tale of a giant searching for the same product and using various public figures in his tests. Something to consider with today's leaders doing it to people worldwide :shock: The iceman Oetzi carried a supply of moss. There is debate if it was tinder or TP. I have used it for both.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
I've read Kathleen Meyer's book "How to **** in the Woods".

It's obviously based on north American experiences, but there's a lot of valuable information for the rest of us.

Re the lack of T.P. (as she calls it), she suggests using either lots of leaves or, like Ed earlier, using water and your left hand.

When it comes to washing your hands afterwards, she mentions using an old bean tin with a string handle. Punch a hole in the side of the tin near the base and scoop clean water out of a bucket in to the tin using the string handle. Hang the tin on a suitable branch, or place on the edge of a flat rock, and wash your hands under the running stream of water coming from the hole in the tin.

It's a book that's well worth getting.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hmm....the BumperDumper man appers to have omitted to remove his long johns. A serious error which I fear he will regret.

Do the Americans really feel it necessary to carry a revolver while on the loo?

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have read "How to **** in the woods", but has anyone read the related book "up **** creek"?

It is a book filled with stories from river rafting guides.

Some of them might put you off your dinner, some aren't that bad. But all well worth a laugh. Cant get the idea of the groover out of my head now :lol:

Think I got mine from Amazon - they had it in stock as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE